Music Scene In Your City/State/Country

Syd

Reaction score
Hi! I don't know if you've ever had a thread like this. I searched a few pages back and saw nothing, but there were too many pages. So I don't really know.

The point here is to tell us what the music scene is in your country, state or city. Maybe some of you live in the US where the east is very different from the west, so you are more familiarized with the music in your particular state. But some of us may also be from smaller countries, where music comes from 1 or 2 cities mainly and everyone concentrates there. Also you can talk about what you think of that scene, what kind of music is there, if the bands are really popular or underground. What kind of music concerts have you attended of the local bands, etc.

I'll start:

Santiago, Chile.

Chile is a long, long country. But almost everything is concentrated in Santiago, the Capital that is right in the geographic center. Being a city of over 6 million people, there are a lot of music genres and scenes. For example, we have a very active Hip-Hop scene, were some of the best rappers in Latin America appear. But that is mainly in the "lower" class neighbourhoods. We also have a lot of Metal music too, that it's very popular here in Chile.

But I prefer the Indie Rock scene. Or Alternative Rock scene. In this case, it¡'s very underground. Most bands can't really live of music, even if they get really popular, so they are mainly students that then leave music behind to get jobs. But lately, this rock scene has been quite prolific, since we have developed some english singing bands and all. It's supposed that these bands will get really big some day.

For those of you who like Folk music, Chile also has a very active Folk community. These past few years we have seen a lot of independent artists rise to local fame. They also travel the world in festivals and stuff like that. But they are really communist and stuff so I don't like them. Most musicians here are communists.

These have been a few good years for Chilean music. A lot of records have been released of good quality (some say 2010 was the second or third best year in chilean music history). Even if they are not as popular as Reggaeton or Cumbia, things are getting slowly better.

I will look for some youtube videos to show those of you who might be interested. I hope to see what other countries or cities can tell me of themselves. See ya! :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't think we have a thread like this Syd, so it will be fine.

I have always wanted to visit Chile someday, visit the wine producing areas and enjoy the culture.

I would avoid the Hip-Hop like the plague, but the metal and Indie rock bands sound good, even if they are singing in Spanish. I don't mind foreign languages when the music is good.

flag-of-chile.jpg

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Seattle has a pretty grungy/metal-esque music scene. A lot of the "hipsters" here, including myself love to listen to the old nirvana-ish/queensryche-ish rock n roll. A majority of the record stores and such sell oldies going from Black Sabbath all the way to new age bands. You will not however see a single rap or techno/electronica/etc artist CD in any record store here. At least from what i've seen.

This is actually what one of our record stores looks like, it's called Easy Street Records, it can be found in West Seattle, if you're looking for a certain album by a certain band in the 70's 80's or 90's, chances are...they've got it:

easy_street_records_520__DSC2641.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That looks like an amazing store P&C...I could spend endless hours browsing and pillaging old and new CD's.

We have no stores left like that, the best one closed two years ago.:(

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
It's such a cool place, it actually doubles as a pancake/breakfast house:

easy_street_records_520__DSC2648.jpg

They play music all the time. So you can eat breakfast, or drink your coffee, and listen to great music.

Syd

Reaction score
That's some pretty awesome record store. Here in Stgo, most of the CD are sold in a big company that is in malls. They just have the most popular music (Bieber, Jonas Brothers, Latin Pop, maybe some Beatles). There are not many independent record stores, and the few that are there are really small so it's not really nice to go there. And also, these independent record stores dont have much variety of music. They go with the things they will sell like Beatles, Pink Floyd, maybe some '00 indie music like Arcade Fire. It's not like you will discover new music going to these stores.

I wanna go to your city now and visit a place like that. Jajaja.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Here's a really good online store I use Syd, they will also special order hard to find albums for you and the prices are excellent.

CDconnection.com the best CD/DVD store on the web!

P&C that would be one of my favorite spots to have a meal and then do some serious shopping.:grinthumb

Syd

Reaction score
Here's a really good online store I use Syd, they will also special order hard to find albums for you and the prices are excellent.

CDconnection.com the best CD/DVD store on the web!

P&C that would be one of my favorite spots to have a meal and then do some serious shopping.:grinthumb
Wow! Thanks LG! I'll take a look and see if they have some records I've been looking for. :D

As I promised, here are some chilean bands.

Indie Rock:

Folk

Rap

I have a lot of other really good songs but those for now will be just fine. I really like that Indie Rock band a lot (Los Howlers).

the_spore

God Emperor
Reaction score
I live in a small town with a population of slightly under two-thousand people. The music scene is basically non-existent here. Unless you count all of the idiot teenagers in high school who all think that their band is going to be the next biggest thing since the Beatles. :/

The closest city to where I live is Greensboro. My knowledge isn't too keen on the music scene there, but from what I know hip-hop is the only genre that's prevalent in Greensboro. I'm pretty sure there are other genres, but hip-hop is the most popular.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
For sure Syd. I recommend anybody to visit Seattle. I can promise that it is one of the most unique places you'll ever visit. I personally really enjoy it here. And just for shameless promotion purposes, my uncle and cousin are becoming a new Seattle band. They aren't that great because they are just starting so the sound is a little off, but I think they've got some potential.

Dumbass Jones on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Not sure what the rule is with myspace links, so remove if necessary. But...their band is Dumbass Jones. At the moment, they aren't doing any shows, but they're currently looking for a metal female singer so the guitarist/vocalist can just focus on guitar.

My cousin is the one who's singing and my uncle is on drums. I recommend "Five Wheels of Death"

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online