Muse vs Pink Floyd

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
It's something I've never thought about, as I really don't like Pink Floyd (as much as I've tried to get into them as my other half is a big fan).

I guess if there's any album with similarities it'd be Muse's latest offering, and sure I see they have the experimenting musically thing in common, but apart from that :confused:

PF will always be in a superior class to themselves.

I would beg to differ :D

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Apart from their increased experimentation particularly in their last two albums I can't say I've ever listened to Muse and thought of Pink Floyd.

I don't listen to Dream Theater but I've heard a lot of music lovers declare them the modern day Pink Floyd.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There is no way I'm trying to compare the two bands. PF will always be in a superior class to themselves.

I agree with you 110% EJD1984, PF is totally unique and I love them, well from Meddle on I do.:D

Jen makes a sapient point, Dream Theater has performed DSOTM live and pulled it off in style, I'd forgotten about them.:peek

Kuaizi

Reaction score
I may be way off base here, but when I think of a Muse comparison, I think mainly of a Queen progression than Pink Floyd. PF was very experimental in a much different way than Muse. I feel PF also had the internal progression of Waters taking over the band over the records causing his eventual departure.
Looking at Queen, they experimented and dabbled in the sounds of the times. Just look at the first album to Jazz to the Works to The Miracle. All completely different, but still obviously Queen but integrating different sounds and experimenting with new technologies. I see that a lot in Muse. Also, I bet a lot of Queen fans were like wtf when they heard songs like Back Chat - like what the hell is Queen doing using all of the 80's shit. They were so much better several albums ago! Same thing with Muse incorporating Dubsteppy and electronic elements in their songs. Muse doesn't go off the deep end into musical masturbation like PF(Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast) and Radiohead (King of Limbs), but stays more accessible while staying true to their song writing and sound - just like Queen.

Anyways - just my opinion ;)

Oh and Bigelf rocks!!!

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
^^^ Yeah I can definitely see that, and if I'm reminded of anybody when I listen to Muse it's Queen, but only in Muse's last two albums.

Yes Bigelf are excellent, keeping an eye out for them touring as I'm desperate to see them live :)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I think Radiohead is easily the most legitimate parallel to Pink Floyd in the modern day. They're the band that most closely encapsulates not just the style, but the cultural importance and musical innovation of Pink Floyd. 'Course as a Floyd fan I don't think any band is as innovative or important (I mean, Pink Floyd made a trance track and post-rock tracks twenty years before those genres existed!!) but Radiohead is definitely the closest imho.

Other bands that I think might be closer to Floyd IMHO would be something like Sigur Ros or Animal Collective. I admit I definitely get a Gilmour feel from the vocals on the new Muse though.

But I'm not huge into any of these aforementioned bands tbh. The only piece of music I've encountered that on a personal level feels like a modern Pink Floyd to me is Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over the Sea. For some reason it just as always felt like the modern Darkside of the Moon to me. All the songs flow together perfectly and it just flows so smoothly with this hypnotic sound, songs about death, and a bittersweet atmosphere throughout.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online