Muse (Official Thread)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Re: Muse, the official thread !

thought I posted in here(oh well there must have been an unofficial thread somewhere. :lol:

nice reviews.
saw Muse on Friday at MSG they nailed it (couldn't get my camera into MSG or I would have had awesome pictures I was very close) . While I agree The Resistance isn't up to par with the previous ones its not that far behind and still is quite good. They really did a great job with the new songs live and The Uprising is a great way to start a show!!!

I love all their albums I started liking them right before Absolution came out as a friend of might who was a DJ at the time played one of their songs.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Black Holes and Revelations

Muse's fourth studio album, released July 2006.

Track Listing:

1. Take A Bow
2. Starlight
3. Supermassive Black Hole
4. Map Of The Problematique
5. Soldier's Poem
6. Invincible
7. Assassin
8. Exo-Politics
9. City Of Delusion
10. Hoodoo
11. Knights Of Cydonia

This is one of my favourite Muse albums. I remember hearing my first taste of it on the radio in the form of Supermassive Black Hole about a month or so before the album was released, and thinking, is this really Muse? - sure the vocalist sounds like Matt Bellamy, but the sound is so different and unlike anything I'd heard before from Muse. But did I like it? - hell yeah! I heard a couple more tracks in a special album preview, and I loved those too, and I was literally counting the days down to the album release date - never before had I been so itching to get my hands on a cd!

On this album you get old Muse, new Muse, robotic-pop Muse, funky Muse, symphonic-space-rocky Muse. It is an album inspired by the science fiction genre, and there's a definite dystopian theme (like another album I love - Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime), but despite this it's also an upbeat album thanks to techno touches and tracks that just make you want to shake your bootie (Supermassive Black Hole gets me dancing every time :))!

Take a Bow kicks the album off, it was originally going to be the closing track until Chris suggested it should go at the beginning as it ends in the key of B which is the key of the second track. I’m pleased they decided to make the change as I think it's a great opener, the keyboards propel the listener along as if on the crest of a wave and you ride the current in eager anticipation. Mid-way the pace changes and techno is thrown in there, it's building... something's coming...crescendo, crescendo… then we have it - a big energetic explosion of rock, with Matthew screaming, "You'll burn in hell!" over and over. Ooh heck!

Starlight has a brighter feel - an upbeat, bouncy and graceful track. Good driving bass, fab vocals, great song. To quote Chris, Starlight is a "kind of a love song about missing someone, friends, family, someone you love".

Supermassive Black Hole is one of those songs that makes you feel good, it's funky and upbeat, and lifts the spirits a treat. It’s a good tune to sing along to if only one could hit those high notes! Out of everything Muse has done, I can imagine this track being the most popular with your average pop-music-loving bud who would normally wrinkle their nose at Muse - it’s got a poppy-disco feel which just makes you want to party.

Map Of The Problematique is my second favourite track off this album. A fast-paced, moody, atmospheric number, with a hint of gothic.

Soldier's Poem takes you into calmer waters. It is a short, gentle lullaby-type song that provides a break from the energy and emotions built up over the last four tracks. It’s my least favourite track off the album.

Invincible starts out as another slow, soft track, but it picks up pace and grows more and more powerful towards the end. Very military sounding with its marching drumbeat.

Assassin is an energetic, powerful track, showcasing Dom's drumming and Matt's vocal brilliance. A real scorcher of a rock track!

Exo-Politics, a very catchy tune, especially the chorus. It has an underlying robotic/mechanical feel that jerks you along merrily. Reminds me of old-style Muse.

City of Delusion has a very Spanish feel to it in parts and makes me want to grab some castanets, snap my heels and flamenco around the room! The track has a great base-line, beautiful violin work and there’s even a little trumpet jolly thrown in for good measure!

Hoodoo chops and changes, it starts off slow and mellow with quiet vocals and the soothing sound of a Spanish-sounding electric guitar, then suddenly you get a dramatic burst of energy mid-way through in the form of a grand piano and Matt’s powerful vocals, then it’s back to how it all began!

Knights Of Cydonia, talk about save the best for last, what an epic track! It’s actually one of my all time favourites. The track starts off with the sound of horses and laser guns, throwing you into a surreal world in which spaghetti westerns meet sci-fi. There’s a bewildering fusion of instrumental quality – stunning guitar riff, great drumming and superb vocals. It’s quite obvious how much Matt was influenced by The Tornadoes hit Telstar (Matt’s father, George Bellamy was rhythm guitarist with the group). I love everything about it!

An absolute belter of an album!!! 10/10

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

First class post Tracey.:tw:

I will have to play that one today after reading your dissertation.

Any chance of some video of you and your Castanets in action?...:grinthumb

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score

I dislike Muse, strongly. What I have to back up that statement is short and sweet : Annoying, nasally vocals.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Nice write up Tray, sound album from a great band that are not afraid to take chances...respect!

Oblivion

Reaction score

I dislike Muse, strongly. What I have to back up that statement is short and sweet : Annoying, nasally vocals.

a matter of taste I recon. I don't think one could say he is a bad singer..

Nice review Tray :grinthumb

Map Of The Problematique would be my fav number after Assassin :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice write up Tray, sound album from a great band that are not afraid to take chances...respect!

She is getting rather good at those write ups isn't she...:grinthumb

I do agree with you, they are all over the map musically speaking which I like and respect.

My only possible complaint, and it's small potatoes is I wish Matt would use a little less falsetto at times,,,but seeing they are Massive now I'll wager he would care less about my opinion.;)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I think that's who he is LG the voice is natural and to me never seems forced, and yeah Tray did a sound job I thought. I was jawing with some guys who had been to see them a while back and all the feedback was really positive.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

AK said the same thing in his complimentary post at the top of the page, that he just saw them live and really thought they were first class.

You probably are right, I haven't had time to play Muse enough to really offer a solid criticism, there is never enough time to get to everything anymore.

Still I await the next Tracey or Salmacis album post in here...I am getting a Muse education in this thread, despite OB being on vacation.:heheh:

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

:thanks: LG, Sox & Oblivion :)

Each to their own. I personally think he’s got an absolutely fantastic voice and would have to disagree with anyone that said he wasn’t a good singer.

I know Matt’s voice can irritate some people because of his frequent use of falsetto, but this, along with his use of vibrato, is something I particularly love about it. All I know is, his vocals have the ability to send shivers down my spine unlike any other singer I’ve ever heard :) :bow:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online