Muse (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: Muse, the official thread !

Tracey (Tray73) introduced me to the sound of Muse about ten years ago and though I thought "yeah they`re good" it wasn`t till I saw them at Manchester that I realised just how good. Matt Bellamy is a musical wizard I was gobsmacked.

Oblivion

Reaction score

origin of symmetry

origin-of-symmetry.jpg

Since none of you guys are writing reviews for Muse, I'll take on the next album as well.. My favorite !

Origin of Symmetry is the second studio album by Muse released in 2001.
Maverick Records, who previously released Showbiz in the United States, asked the band to remove the falsetto vocals for the album's release, claiming that their presence would discourage radio play. Muse's refusal saw them part ways with the label, meaning that the album was not released in the US until 2005.
The title for the album comes from a concept put forward by Michio Kaku in his book Hyperspace.
Origin of Symmetry is seen as a departure from the alternative rock sound of Showbiz, as the band experimented instrumentally throughout the album. Dominic Howard (drums) augmented the standard rock drum kit with various other items of his own, and Matthew Bellamy uses a pipe organ at St Mary the Virgin's Church, Bathwick on "Megalomania". Due to the requirement of a pipe organ, this song is rarely played live by Muse, perhaps the most notable occasions being at Muse's charity gig at the Royal Albert Hall and during the Hullabaloo concert in Paris.

Throughout the album, the bass line is used as the driving force, often with the guitar providing only an extra layer to the song rather than carrying the melody. The bass has distortion and other effects applied to it to achieve a greater weight, allowing the guitar to digress from the main chord progression and play higher notes.

(I copy pasted the above from wiki :D I didn't even notice half of what the above paragraph is saying.. All I know is: goooood music)

This is the opening song of the album: new born:

Hope you guys all have this album :grinthumb

I'm sure most of you can add something to this small review, do so!
Oh and I also hope one of you guys writes the next small review :rolleyes:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Not me this is your baby OB, I don't know them well enough to write a review.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Origin of Symmetry is my second favourite album after Absolution, love Citizen Erased :D

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

First of all Tray you are not rubbish at all, I would like to see you do an album review for your favorite band. All of us have different ways of approaching that, and I haven't done any in here as yet myself...:think:

So if you do one for Muse, I'll do one for a band I really like...sounds fair to me.:cheers:

Well thanks for saying I'm not rubbish, lol, very kind of you sir :) Ok, I will give it ago, just don't throw rotten eggs at me if I make a hash of it :tongue:

I'll have a think & write a review for Hullabaloo...

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Hullabaloo Soundtrack

Muse’s third album, released in 2002, is a collection of b-sides recorded between March 1999 and October 2001, and a 2001 live concert recorded at ‘Le Zenith’ in Paris.

Track listing:

1. Forced In
2. Shrinking Universe
3. Recess
4. Yes Please
5. Map Of Your Head
6. Nature_1
7. Shine (Acoustic)
8. Ashamed
9. The Gallery
10. Hyper Chondriac Music
11. Agitated
12. Dead Star (live)
13. Micro Cuts (live)
14. Citizen Erased (live)
15. Showbiz (live)
16. Megalomania (live)
17. Dark Shines (live)
18. Screenager (live)
19. Space Dementia (live)
20. In Your World (live)
21. Muscle Museum (live)
22. Agitated (live)

Normally a bunch of b-sides wouldn’t make for a very exciting album, but when you’re talking about a band like Muse, their music is so damn good even b-tracks shine. I’ll select a few of the tracks, and give my take on them...
Any Muse fan knows the band have never been afraid to experiment and push the boundaries and this collection of b-sides is a good example of that, especially with tracks like ‘Forced In’ - an eerie, futuristic, mellow and moody number. ‘Yes Please’, I think is very different for Muse, it’s a heavier sound than they usually go for and sounds like they have been inspired by The Deftones. ‘Map of your Head’ is different again, a pretty, quirky, little tune which plods along nicely, and takes you off to warmer climes sipping Sangria by the pool, thanks to the Spanish acoustic riff. ‘Shine’: this previously unreleased acoustic version is one to pop on if you are in need of a bit of relaxation, a backdrop of pouring rain along with a fairground organ, gentle guitar and vocals – who needs whale song to take away the day’s stresses! ‘The Gallery’ – it’s probably just me, but The Excorcist and Jan Michel Jarre immediately spring to mind when I hear this – a very ambient synthesizer-driven, Tubular Bells-y track.

The last half of this album is from their live performance in Paris. I’m not usually a fan of live albums, but Muse are so good live, and they certainly don’t disappoint here! Their performance is full of energy and power, and a sheer delight to listen to. Be it on guitar, keyboard or vocally never a duff note is struck by Matt - you'd think at least with all those falsetto pieces he'd be off a few times, but no, he hits those impossibly high notes perfectly every time! Chris is spot on with his bass playing, which isn't drowned out by the other instruments, and Dom does his usual top notch job on the drums. My only bug bear with Hullabaloo Soundtrack is that some of the great songs from Origin of Symmetry are missed off, such as Plug in Baby, New Born, Bliss and Feeling Good. I have the DVD and they are on that, and all are performed brilliantly, so it’s a puzzle why they weren’t included. Oh well, you can only have so much of a good thing I suppose…

Two favourite tracks from Hullabaloo:

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^And you thought your review would be "Rubbish"...:heheh:

You did such a good job I think I'll play that album tonight Tracey.:cheers:

Oblivion

Reaction score

This thread is going in the right direction :) Nice review !!

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

My favourites from Hullabaloo are Map Of Your Head, Nature_1 and Shine (Acoustic) :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Muse did well at the NME awards the other night - they won 'Best British Band' title, beating Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis and Biffy Clyro, and also triumphed in the 'Best Website' category :grinthumb

Also another snippet, Muse are performing at Glastonbury this year and Matt is hoping Bono (U2 are headlining the festival) will come on stage with them and sing a song. That'd be cool to see :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online