Muse - Black Holes and Revelations (2006)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Black Holes and Revelations

Muse's fourth studio album, released July 2006.

Track Listing:

1. Take A Bow
2. Starlight
3. Supermassive Black Hole
4. Map Of The Problematique
5. Soldier's Poem
6. Invincible
7. Assassin
8. Exo-Politics
9. City Of Delusion
10. Hoodoo
11. Knights Of Cydonia

This is one of my favourite Muse albums. I remember hearing my first taste of it on the radio in the form of Supermassive Black Hole about a month or so before the album was released, and thinking, is this really Muse? - sure the vocalist sounds like Matt Bellamy, but the sound is so different and unlike anything I'd heard before from Muse. But did I like it? - hell yeah! I heard a couple more tracks in a special album preview, and I loved those too, and I was literally counting the days down to the album release date - never before had I been so itching to get my hands on a cd!

On this album you get old Muse, new Muse, robotic-pop Muse, funky Muse, symphonic-space-rocky Muse. It is an album inspired by the science fiction genre, and there's a definite dystopian theme (like another album I love - Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime), but despite this it's also an upbeat album thanks to techno touches and tracks that just make you want to shake your bootie (Supermassive Black Hole gets me dancing every time :))!

Take a Bow kicks the album off, it was originally going to be the closing track until Chris suggested it should go at the beginning as it ends in the key of B which is the key of the second track. I’m pleased they decided to make the change as I think it's a great opener, the keyboards propel the listener along as if on the crest of a wave and you ride the current in eager anticipation. Mid-way the pace changes and techno is thrown in there, it's building... something's coming...crescendo, crescendo… then we have it - a big energetic explosion of rock, with Matthew screaming, "You'll burn in hell!" over and over. Ooh heck!

Starlight has a brighter feel - an upbeat, bouncy and graceful track. Good driving bass, fab vocals, great song. To quote Chris, Starlight is a "kind of a love song about missing someone, friends, family, someone you love".

Supermassive Black Hole is one of those songs that makes you feel good, it's funky and upbeat, and lifts the spirits a treat. It’s a good tune to sing along to if only one could hit those high notes! Out of everything Muse has done, I can imagine this track being the most popular with your average pop-music-loving bud who would normally wrinkle their nose at Muse - it’s got a poppy-disco feel which just makes you want to party.

Map Of The Problematique is my second favourite track off this album. A fast-paced, moody, atmospheric number, with a hint of gothic.

Soldier's Poem takes you into calmer waters. It is a short, gentle lullaby-type song that provides a break from the energy and emotions built up over the last four tracks. It’s my least favourite track off the album.

Invincible starts out as another slow, soft track, but it picks up pace and grows more and more powerful towards the end. Very military sounding with its marching drumbeat.

Assassin is an energetic, powerful track, showcasing Dom's drumming and Matt's vocal brilliance. A real scorcher of a rock track!

Exo-Politics, a very catchy tune, especially the chorus. It has an underlying robotic/mechanical feel that jerks you along merrily. Reminds me of old-style Muse.

City of Delusion has a very Spanish feel to it in parts and makes me want to grab some castanets, snap my heels and flamenco around the room! The track has a great base-line, beautiful violin work and there’s even a little trumpet jolly thrown in for good measure!

Hoodoo chops and changes, it starts off slow and mellow with quiet vocals and the soothing sound of a Spanish-sounding electric guitar, then suddenly you get a dramatic burst of energy mid-way through in the form of a grand piano and Matt’s powerful vocals, then it’s back to how it all began!

Knights Of Cydonia, talk about save the best for last, what an epic track! It’s actually one of my all time favourites. The track starts off with the sound of horses and laser guns, throwing you into a surreal world in which spaghetti westerns meet sci-fi. There’s a bewildering fusion of instrumental quality – stunning guitar riff, great drumming and superb vocals. It’s quite obvious how much Matt was influenced by The Tornadoes hit Telstar (Matt’s father, George Bellamy was rhythm guitarist with the group). I love everything about it!

An absolute belter of an album!!! 10/10

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Muse ~ Black Holes and Revelations

:clap:

This is my favorite Muse album. I also have The Resistance, and it was ok, but not as striking as Black Holes and Revelations.

The first time I actually paid attention to any music from Muse, was after seeing "Twilight", and hearing Supermassive Black Hole.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Supermassive Black Hole is one of those songs that makes you feel good, it's funky and upbeat, and lifts the spirits a treat. It’s a good tune to sing along to if only one could hit those high notes! Out of everything Muse has done, I can imagine this track being the most popular with your average pop-music-loving bud who would normally wrinkle their nose at Muse - it’s got a poppy-disco feel which just makes you want to party.

:heheh: That's me.. But I have to say this song is way different than the other cuts.. I caught it on VH1 one night and went right out and bought the CD.. Basically.. I didn't know anything about the band and I was thinking it was the next group to pull off a Prince clone.. But to my surprise Muse is quite popular and has a large following.
The video to Supermassive Black Hole is really cool.. And you right Tray it does make you want to party.. I imagine it packed the dance floor when it first came out..
Great write up by the way..:grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

I was listening to Planet Rock (a classic rock digital radio station in UK) the other day and the DJ played Knights of Cydonnia, he described the song as "a veritable smorgasbord of audio delight" which I thought sums the song up a treat :grinthumb

Magic - Yeah The Resistance is probably my least favourite out of all their albums. I really recommend you give Origin of Symmetry a listen if you get chance, it's a fantastic album.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

:heheh: That's me.. But I have to say this song is way different than the other cuts.. I caught it on VH1 one night and went right out and bought the CD.. Basically.. I didn't know anything about the band and I was thinking it was the next group to pull off a Prince clone.. But to my surprise Muse is quite popular and has a large following.

What do you mean to your surprise, cheeky, lol :D

The video to Supermassive Black Hole is really cool.. And you right Tray it does make you want to party.. I imagine it packed the dance floor when it first came out..
Great write up by the way..:grinthumb

Thanks Thumper :)

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

Thank you Trey for your great review. I had to search for this thread because I wasn't into Muse when it first surfaced. I bought The Resistance because of Uprising and am now investigating their earlier work. I am listening to their singles on their website and it is powerful stuff. I will certainly buy their albums.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Thank you Annie :) Great to see another fan on CRF :grinthumb If you like The Resistance, I'd say it's a given you'll like their other albums so won't regret buying them!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

You did a great job on this review, Tray. I agree with your breakdown of each of the songs....except "Supermassive Black Hole". That song makes me feel uncomfortable. I just don't like it and since it's probably the best known song off this album maybe that's what sours it a bit for me because the rest of the album is really good. Of course I've said before that as of so far my favorite Muse albums move in descending order across their catalog, starting with "Showbiz" in first and "The Resistance" (quite easily) in last. That's not to say that I don't like "Black Holes & Revelations", I just like their earlier albums more. :D

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Thanks Cosmic! Yeah I can see how Supermassive Black Hole would fit into the category of love it or hate it, it was a very diffrent sound for Muse.
If I had to put their albums in order preference (starting with favourite) it'd probably go: Black Holes & Revelations, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, and then not sure which I prefer in Resistance and Showbiz, probably level *******.
I hear they are bringing out a new album next year full of 'soft' songs, not sure whether I like the sound of that though!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Do you suppose it'll be an album full of "Unintended"s and "Megalomania"s?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online