Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles (1990)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles

SuperfuzzBigmuffplusearlysingles.jpg

Band - Mudhoney
Genre - Grunge, Garage Punk
Year of Release - 1990

This is a compilation album by the Seattle band Mudhoney. It contains the entire Superfuzz Bigmuff EP, the A-sides and B-sides of 2 singles, and 2 covers from split singles with Sonic Youth and The Dicks.
The album is named after the band's favorite distortion pedal, Superfuzz Bigmuff was actually Mudhoney's first EP; the Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles package collects that recording, as well as the A- and B-sides of their first two 45s and two covers (of the Dicks and Sonic Youth), all released in 1988-1989. Taken as a whole, this output makes a case for Mudhoney as the first true grunge band.
This is their best and most consistent album IMO. They largely refrain from from jamming as they have on their other albums. Superfuzz Bigmuff has all the best attributes of Mudhoney's Stooges fixation. Whether slow or fast the music on this album is grimy, raucous, and violently enthusiastic. It has a stronger melodic sensibility than Iggy's band possessed. Mudhoney's dominant traits are simple chord progressions and a filthy-sounding, ultradistorted guitar racket, which are punctuated by Mark Arm's snarling, demonic howls. It contains the ultimate grunge anthem "Touch Me I'm Sick" and demonstrates Mudhoney's throttling power. "Touch Me I'm Sick" is essential for anyone even remotely interested in the genesis of the Seattle scene. The album is full of menace and sharp songwriting.

Great album. It is a must for any rock and roll, punk, and grunge fan.
With out question my favorite band along with Nirvana and this album is a good reason why.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
Re: Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles

Mudhoney is one of my top 10 bands all-time not even kidding, Touch me I'm Sick is my favorite!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Well done my young friend, as usual.:D

I am not a fan though, most of these bands just don't work for me, Nirvana included. Still no denying their influence on the entire Seattle scene after reading your review. I do have an album of Mudhoney's but I can't remember which one,,,it's on the other PC. I'll look a little later and see if it's Superfuzz...

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

Well done my young friend, as usual.:D

I am not a fan though, most of these bands just don't work for me, Nirvana included. Still no denying their influence on the entire Seattle scene after reading your review. I do have an album of Mudhoney's but I can't remember which one,,,it's on the other PC. I'll look a little later and see if it's Superfuzz...

Make sure you check it out you'll like it!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online