Retrovertigo
The Air-Conditioned Nightmare
Ars Moriendi
Pink Cigarette
Golem II: The Bionic Vapour Boy
The Holy Filament
Vanity Fair
Goodbye Sober Day​

California is the final album released by experimental rock/avant-garde metal group, Mr. Bungle. Unlike Mr. Bungle's previous albums, this album is the 'normal' album, straying away from just crazy sounds and vocals and steering closer to more common sounding songs while not losing the experimental aspect. The styles found on this album include jazz rock, avant-garde, heavy metal, folk, doo wop and pop, often rolled into a single song.

For people who want to try out Mr. Bungle, this album is the most accessible and probably the best one to ease into before you jump into their earlier, crazier work. Vanity Fair, Pink Cigarette, Retrovertigo and Sweet Charity are great starters before you slip into the more wacky The Air Conditioned Nightmare, None Of Them Knew They Were Robots, Goodbye Sober Day, Ars Moriendi, and Golem II, with The Holy Filament having more of an ambient sounding song.

This is a very fun album, with some serious songs in the mix, but an overall great time will be had listening to this album from start to finish, with a lot of catchy coruses and you'll find it irresistable to sing along and sway from side to side when listening to the doo wop inspired songs and you'll get a 'cartoony' feel from the fun songs.

Sorry for some of the bad quality of the videos, they didn't make videos so there are only live videos of most songs and some fan made videos.

1. Sweet Charity

2. None of Them Knew They Were Robots

3. Retrovertigo

4. The Air-Conditioned Nightmare

5. Ars Moriendi

6.Pink Cigarette

7. Golem II: The Bionic Vapour Boy

8.The Holy Filament

*no video for this song :/ *

9. Vanity Fair

10. Goodbye Sober Day

I give it an easy 9/10. I don't really like The Holy Filament, it's a fairly boring song, imo, so it loses a point for that but the rest of the album is incredible and interesting. I appreciate the work Mr. Bungle does with experimenting with sounds and vocals to create music and going against general expectations by doing what they want to do and not conforming to what anyone else wants. Mike Patton's got balls, baby :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Mr. Bungle ~ California

This album sounds like something I might enjoy Foxy, well done as usual.:cheers2:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online