3. Louder Than Hell
4. Keep Your Eye On The Money
5. Home Sweet Home
6. Tonight (We Need A Lover)
7. Use It Or Lose It
8. Save Our Souls
9. Raise Your Hands To Rock
10. Fight For Your Rights

I bought this on vinyl back in 1985, June time.The artwork on front cover also catches your eye, a great album cover

I had been into my British rock for sometime and was told about this band by a mate, check them out he said you may be surprised.

Do you buy an album to be surprised? well i had to find out.

Still got the album to this day with the original price of 3.95 British Pounds.:grinthumb

So what to expect not rock, not Iron Maiden , very much their own sound.

I did not know it was their 3rd album, straight away after 1 minute of listening you knew this band knew how to rock.

City boy blues gets you hooked , bit for me its track 2 smoking in the boys room, yeah its not their song but they certainly put their stamp on the song.

The album is typical Motley, piercing riffs and hard banging drums, and screaming vocals.

Home sweet Home is great ballad/rock song its builds up all the way through and has a great video to tag.

Raise your hands to rock is a bit of an anthem type song , nearly makes it but not quite.

Tonight and Use it are also great numbers and certianly stick in your mind well after a couple of plays .

To sum up Theatre of Pain is very much of its era, the 80's sounding rock.

7.5 out of ten i think is fair :cheers2

Lastly good to see they have now got he rights back to their songs and the albums have been remastered and back on sale, they were for a while quite hard to get a hold of some of their albums .

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Motley Crue Theatre of Pain

Of their 1980s albums I found this one to be quite under rated. Has some very good material on it like Smokin' In The Boys Room, City Boy Blues etc.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: Motley Crue Theatre of Pain

OUSTANDING album! Unfortunately this one has gotten a fair bit of flack over the years, especially after their hard driving first two albums (Too Fast For Love and Shout At the Devil).

This is an album that is typically remembered for two things, 1 being the remake of Smokin' in the Boys Room and the incredible power ballad, Home Sweet Home, but there is so much more. Save Our Souls is probably my favorite 'hidden gem' on this album.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
This was Mick Mars' least favorite right?? :bonk:

In Lynch's words..."OUTSTANDING"...one of the best CRUE albums in their whole catalog IMO :grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
If you were introduced to Motley by listening to this LP, well.. I would say it is in my book, just OK.. Motley being a Hollywood glam band had just a bit more raunchy edge to their stuff.. But if you ended up picking up their first afterwards you can see you might have missed a great band if Theater of Pain would have turned you off to them.
For us Yanks.. They were apart of something new hitting the rock scene.. They busted open the seams and a bunch of copy bands followed for quite a few years!

If I remember right.. The last tracks on the CD were just nothing special. It petered out in the end with I think Tommy doing a studio drum solo?? and some other crap that ended the CD in a rather cheap shot way.. I could be wrong on that cause it's been a few months since I went through the entire CD..

nwobhm

Reaction score
yeah it was not their best, bit hit and miss

I did of course buy the rest of their music.

This was the album that introduced me to them barely a teenager, loads of bands since have formed themselves based on this band.

Good memories and certainly worth a listen , will maybe do shout at the devil next :grinthumb

Lynch

Reaction score
Slip: I'm not sure what you might be referring to with Tommy doing any sort of studio drum solo towards the end of the album. I just listened to this the other day, and might give it a spin tonight since we are on the subject, but I just can't think of what song you might be referring to.

Well, maybe track 9, if I remember correctly, the song fades out with a fair amount of drumming, but it's not much and not like any sort of Tommy Lee showcase/outro.

:confused:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ Just gave it a quick listen and track 16 (Tommy's Drum Piece from Cherokee Studios) is what I'm talking about.. My CD I'm looking at has 16 tracks and there are 3 versions of Home sweet Home on this CD..Plus a demo of City Boy Blues that sounds like Smokin In The Boys Room.. Now most bands who start out do covers.. And this is Motleys 3rd Studio release.. But...IMO.. It's a grab bag of what can we throw in here to keep the fan's interested..

Recky

Reaction score
great album, one of my favourites...in particular and in no real order of favouritism...
CITY BOY BLUES
RAISE YOUR HANDS TO ROCK
HOME SWEET HOME and FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS....just finished Vince Neils book Tattoos & Tequila and he fkn hates this album...oh well to each his own I guess

Lynch

Reaction score
^^^ Just gave it a quick listen and track 16 (Tommy's Drum Piece from Cherokee Studios) is what I'm talking about.. My CD I'm looking at has 16 tracks and there are 3 versions of Home sweet Home on this CD..Plus a demo of City Boy Blues that sounds like Smokin In The Boys Room.. Now most bands who start out do covers.. And this is Motleys 3rd Studio release.. But...IMO.. It's a grab bag of what can we throw in here to keep the fan's interested..
Ahh ok, you've got some re-release shit that I think came out in the late 90's. The album only has 10 tracks. They did the same thing with Shout at the Devil back in the 90's and added like 5-7 more tracks including demos and an updated version of the title track. Bleh.

The first 10 are solid. ;)

:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.