Most Underrated/Under Appreciated Albums By Your Favorite Bands

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
Iron Maiden I would probably say The X Factor for sure. Not Virtual XI, that album was mediocre but X Factor to me was a good album that not too many I can think of really mention much of Maiden albums.

Megadeth I would say Cryptic Writings and The System Has Failed. Cryptic for a nice radio friendly edge but still possesses some classic songs. TSHF it was the album The Worlds Needs A Hero should have been in consistency. Much better and thrash oriented.

Judas Priest Jugulator. People bash on Ripper Owens albums a lot and to be fair Demolition deserves every ounce of bashing it gets, its a shit album but Jugulator was for me the really good album with Owens on vocals.

Slayer Divine Intervention. Even though Slayer did put out some mediocre to really shit albums in the 90s I really like Divine Intervention. Definitely under the radar for me when it comes to Slayer albums.

Agreed 100% on these. :grinthumb Jugulator's one of my favorite Priest albums, & Divine is the same for Slayer.

Tony Martin/Glen Hughes-era Sabbath
Candlemass - King Of The Grey Islands
Pentagram - First Dave Here
Dio - Strange Highways
Cynic - Traced In Air
Rush - Test For Echo & Fly By Night
Genesis - Trespass
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Coverdale/Page
Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On & Purpendicular
George Harrison - Cloud Nine
Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full
Queen - Innuendo
Whitesnake - Come 'An Get It
Annihilator - King Of The Kill
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Kreator - Violent Revolution
Paradox - Heresy
Testament - New Order
Sodom - Tapping The Vein

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New Order is a top Testament album, my favourite actually.
I think a lot of the 90s albums are underappreciated like The Ritual, Low and Demonic.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Some good choices there. I definitely agree on Sabbath's Born Again. The production might not have been good, but it is VERY heavy album.
Zep's III is my favourite from them, it's a shame out of first 4 albums, III is less well received.

Good call on Pentagram's 'First Daze Here' but I know a lot of people, who are into hard rock prefers this album more than all other doom metal era combined. It's definitely a must-listen to anyone, who's into Pentagram and doom metal. Same with Whitesnake, I'd say all of the early albums are slightly overlooked. Everyone knows David from 1987's point of view, but his view of his music surely was based on what he did with Trouble and Ready An' Willing.

To me:

Nazareth - Loud 'n' Proud
UFO - UFO1
Mountain - Avalanche
Curved Air - Air Cut
Deep Purple - Book Of Taliesyn
Budgie - Squawk
Aerosmith - Aerosmith
Dire Straits - Communique

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I'm not too sure what the true definition of underrated and unappreciated would be to be honest, since record sales are no indication of quality, and neither is journalistic criticism (I agree with Frank Zappa who once said that most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read)

But as close as I can get to an answer, there are a few albums that would appear in my all time list of great albums that I don't think I've never seen appear in anyone else's.....Springsteen's Ghost of Tom Joad...And Then There Were Three by Genesis....Up by R.E.M....U2's Joshua Tree....Frampton Comes Alive....Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery...there's probably others.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not too sure what the true definition of underrated and unappreciated would be to be honest, since record sales are no indication of quality, and neither is journalistic criticism (I agree with Frank Zappa who once said that most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read)

But as close as I can get to an answer, there are a few albums that would appear in my all time list of great albums that I don't think I've never seen appear in anyone else's.....Springsteen's Ghost of Tom Joad...And Then There Were Three by Genesis....Up by R.E.M....U2's Joshua Tree....Frampton Comes Alive....Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery...there's probably others.

Exactly why I gave some of the albums I did mentions. The fact their criticisms don't necessarily indicate quality is why I feel the ones I mentioned are underrated.

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
Exactly why I gave some of the albums I did mentions. The fact their criticisms don't necessarily indicate quality is why I feel the ones I mentioned are underrated.

Same here. I picked ones the fanbases themselves have a tendency to ignore.

Aero

Reaction score
ammonia_avenue_10.jpg

Ammonia Avenue is a very under appreciated album. Rolling Stone gave it 2 out of 5 stars (LOL, what an effin joke). It only has 4 hits on it in addition to Ammonia Avenue itself which is also one of the strongest songs on the album.

Way better than anything that's being put out today.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
It's fashionable to criticise these albums, but I like them: Love Beach by ELP; Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes; The Division Bell by Pink Floyd; and Thin Lizzy's albums with Eric Bell.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Deep Purple - Purpendicular

The debut of Steve Morse donning royal purple. The band sounds very inspired and the song writing has hardly been better both in composition and lyrics IMO.

thL1F8H40W.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online