Most Underrated Rock Band (One Choice Only!)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
This may be too hard for some, or too easy...

But, please just pick one band...

and tell us why?...if you want.

Last edited:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I don't think rock critics (people who mostly write reviews) don't appreciate Foreigner nearly as much as they should.

I don't think music fans, in general, appreciate John Kay (Steppenwolf) as an artist, particularly his solo material.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I dont know whether to go with underrated or "overlooked"........But I think the band Cactus is both overlooked and underrated.

Critics called their music "generic" and once the critics label a band like this they are doomed. Even once Bogart and Appice finally hooked up with Beck they still didn't go far....such a shame too, their work is fabulous.

They are back together and still making good tunes, thankfully!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Hmm.... tough choice but probably The Breeders. To me they represent the most perfect mix between hard rockin' guitar, sugary pop melodies, and experimental flourishes. They are a band like The Doors, who put together such a perfect hodgepodge of unique influences that they're good to listen a all points in time, no matter what genre I'm into at the time. Every bit as deserving of enduring popularity as the Pixies have ever been.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
The first one that comes to mind is The Knack.

Their heyday has looooooong passed, but man, were they ever overlooked after the biggie, "My Sharona". It's like the whole world forgot about them after that, even though they were still recording top-notch music.

Also, I'd mention Sparks in this thread, but restricting their body of work to just "rock" would be ludicrous, since they've done it all (in terms of multiple genres) to perfection.

the_spore

God Emperor
Reaction score
Oh geez. There are so many of them. But if I had to choose one, I'd say the band "America". Not many people know any of their other works besides "A Horse with No Name" (Which isn't even their best song in my opinion).

Here are some of their other works, if any of you are interested. :)

americahearts.jpg

rtbuck

Reaction score
Tough call for me because I really think Johnny Thunders had so much talent & really was an incredible songwriter but all that was overlooked by his drug addiction which ruined his career so I'm going with the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. They should have been much more...all were great musicians (besides Alex... guitarist Zal Clemenson did great work with Nazareth in the late 70's & the rhythm section of Chris Glen & Ted McKenna hooked up with the Michael Schenker Group) & they had some great tunes like Midnight Moses & Vambo which should've been Rock Anthems. They played a wide variety of styles in their music & mixed it well with their wild stage theatrics.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
So many come to mind, but I'll stick with Groovy's request and post only one.

The Lowell George era of "Little Feat", they released some fantastic albums that went almost completely unnoticed. One of those bands that you have to listen to a few times to take in everything that's going on, at least that is what I have found. They carried on after George's death from a drug overdose, but I never followed them after that tragedy.

live-from-neon-park.jpg

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well assuming that it has to be a band and not a solo artists (as I have several of those I'd love to pick from) I think I would have to give my torch to Mott The Hoople, both pre and post David Bowie. Their songs covered a very wide range of styles, Ian Hunter voice was also distinctive and expressive, they were all very capable musicians, Mick Ralphs and Ian wrote great lyrics, and they had very electrifying live shows (from what I've seen in videos). Mott had the whole package and I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be remembered as the champions of the early 70's that they were.

mottthehoople-allthewayfromstockhol.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online