Most Overrated Bands of the 1980's!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Flower, I agree on the assessment that they were fads but definitely fads that represent the 80's cheese which cheese whether or not we like it was a huge part of the 80's. I don't think anyone rates them higher than 80's cheese which I think due to a low status as that that they can't be overrated if they aren't held to that high of esteem in the first place! :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I like Culture Club.....and I respect Prince.....and I love Van Halen.....:wa:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Guns N' Roses-not my cup of tea so I'll throw them under the bus as overrated 80's. While I'm at it why the N'

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^ Though I am not really a fan I have heaps of respect for Prince, as a musician he is amazing.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'm sorry all...I'm taking the Soot route...and quote...saying things are overrated is overrated. :grinthumb

You either like it or you don't.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like Springsteen and U2 in their early years,,,but I do think they have both lost something since the 90's Architect.

F

FoxyPage

Oooops! I guess I was so eager to slag those 4 that I wasn't paying attention.

80s is a lot easier...PRINCE. Possibly the most overrated performer of all time.

Depeche Mode is on the list, but I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Depeche Mode are simply amazing....

I'd go with Motley Crue. I really don't see how they are anywhere near as good as people make them out to be.

kaientai

Reaction score
Not that they were ever rated high.....but i am going to go with Poison. I never understood their appeal.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I agree with MP and Soot, but I'm going to join in the fun anyways :heheh:

U2 - well, in the 80's they had some decent stuff. It was really more of the shit they've done in the 90's and 00's that I think is incredibly overrated.

REM - again, had a few good tunes but overall, never got the draw they garnered.

The Pixies - absolute crap. Seriously, of all the college/modern rock bands that got attn in the 80's, why this noisy garbage got any press at all is beyond me. Surfer Rosa, considered their best album and I might put it on a list of worst albums ever recorded.

The Smiths - more alternative, indie-pop crap. Never heard a song from them that I liked. Never heard a song from them that made me say "well, at least this one isn't so bad"

Bruce Springsteen - One album aside, Born in the USA, which I think is really good, Bruce does nothing for me as well. 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's. Never thought much if him either.

Synth-pop - pretty much this entire genre does very little for me. Some is ok, in small doses, but there's way too many artists in this genre to list. The same can be said of the majority of modern / college rock artists (for me).

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online

Members online