Most Overrated Bands of the 1980's!

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
Yeah, I liked Bon Jovi but I didn't think they were THAT good. They were mediocre at best, certainly not as bad as Poison, but the fact that they're Still really famous is amazing to me. Must be more of that East Coast bias going on. ;-)

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I'd actually forgotten that I was the one who started this thread. I guess then it's time for me to make another "contribution".

This toad pictured here once again assaulting the sensibilities of the music loving public:

Elton-John55.jpg

Were there any justice in merry olde England that crowd of lager louts that attacked the Sex Pistols back in 1977 would have attacked Elton instead.

:wtf:

Last edited:

Death on Credit

Reaction score
The only artists that were doing stuff in the 80's that wasn't terrible, in my opinion, were Tom Waits, the Clash, and maybe Hanoi Rocks. Musically, the only decade since the 1920's that's been worse is the 2000's.

Bands/artists that I particularly despise from the decade include:
MOTLEY CRUE
Poison
Ratt
U2
Michael Jackson
Bob Dylan (my favorite artist, but his stuff in the 80's was...to put it nicely...ear rape)
Pretty much any band that can be described as "hair metal"
Phil Collins
The Smiths
Duran Duran
Prince

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Bands/artists that I particularly despise from the decade include:

MOTLEY CRUE
Poison
Ratt
U2
Michael Jackson
Bob Dylan (my favorite artist, but his stuff in the 80's was...to put it nicely...ear rape)
Pretty much any band that can be described as "hair metal"
Phil Collins
The Smiths
Duran Duran
Prince

Where's FoxyPage? How well do you deal with furiously angry women?

:lols:

Last edited:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I'll be a meanie and pick on some of the pop groups.

I think it would have been better for everyone involved if the "one hit" from a lot of one-hit wonder bands like A-Ha, Thompson Twins and Simple Minds was instead recorded by a more successful and popular artist that sounded somewhat similar to them.

There are a lot of tunes from one hit wonder groups that could have just as easily been recorded by the likes of U2, INXS, Billy Idol, etc., people who actually had a few other hits at their disposal. Thus adding to their robust hit catalog and eliminating the need for a one hit wonder group whose ill-fated follow-up efforts would just clog up inventory (first New Release then Bargain Bin) at a record store.

Would have saved some space on the tape and cd racks :D

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
You're in effect arguing for more concentration and less diversity in music. Many observers argue that the slice of the music pie accruing to big name bands is already too great.

:drums:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
You're in effect arguing for more concentration and less diversity in music. Many observers argue that the slice of the music pie accruing to big name bands is already too great.

:drums:

Obviously it is hard to emphasize this on a forum but that post of mine was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I wasn't "serious" about that at all.

Purely facetious and an inside joke I shared with a close friend.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.