Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus (2011)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Morbidart-IDI.jpg

Gonna do my write up here to discuss a 2011 release and that was the highly anticipated return of Morbid Angel one of the pioneers of death metal, they have Covenant the best selling death metal album of all time.
It was 8 years since their previous record and that was Heretic which was a terrible record in itself.

Ill write the track list up first then share my thoughts on this release.

1. Omni Potens
2. Too Extreme
3. Existo Vulgoré
4. Blades for Baal
5. I Am Morbid
6. 10 More Dead
7. Destructos vs. the Earth / Attack
8. Nevermore
9. Beauty Meets Beast
10. Radikult
11. Profundis - Mea Culpa

Now another thing to note during the 8 year gap is Steve Tucker was to leave the band after Heretic, David Vincent would return in 2004 and do tours, but this was to be the first release with him on vocals since Domination in 1995 so naturally I was excited for this release having seen the band live prior to the release. Also with Pete Sandoval having back surgery, the drum duties went to Tim Yeung.

Ill be brutally honest as I have before, this album was a huge huge disappointment, I believe bands should be able to experiment but this one was one of those that was a complete flop. The band decided to do some parts industrial, some fruity loop drums and dance techno blast beats, also rap style tag line lyrics feature heavily in songs such as Destructos, Radikult ( the worst death metal song of all time), Too Extreme and Profundis Mea Culpa.
Being this was an album that was the return of a band on a huge hiatus between albums, this is something that probably should have had more of their core trademark death sound, the songs on this I think did have some elements of their old sound and I do like are Existo, Nevermore, Blades For Baal, those tracks packed riffing which I could easily recognize Morbid Angel. But with the more experimental tracks and I believe experimenting should involve some part of the core or trademark sound of the band , none of these other songs are memorable, nor are they the least bit enjoyable.

To really put it simply, I do not recommend anyone who is a death metal fan expecting the old Morbid Angel to buy this record, it is the worst album put out in 2011, it is the St Anger of Death Metal and Morbid Angel. It will disappoint more then anything.

The songs I like and consider the strong points.

Two of the songs that piss me off to the max.

Again my personal advice, DO NOT BUY THIS ALBUM.
No album I ever listened to has pissed me off like this did. Massive letdown.

Last edited:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I haven't picked this album up yet, i'm curious to hear what it sounds like though. And to see why it's gotten such negative views. This isn't the first time i've heard someone say it wasn't a great album.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
oh thats a sin, i like morbid angel. always considered them one of the better death metal acts.
As did I, I still consider them a legendary death metal act, just this release was ridiculous to say the least imo
I haven't picked this album up yet, i'm curious to hear what it sounds like though. And to see why it's gotten such negative views. This isn't the first time i've heard someone say it wasn't a great album.

I reckon youtube or download it first to hear the songs, I don't suggest buying it if you haven't heard it.
I believe an experiment was taken too far when you don't even recognize the same band who did that particular sound change.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The blast beats I noticed also sound like it was done by a computer, which is not cool, Pete Sandoval innovated blast beats, they should have put off releasing this until Pete was well.
Now are many fans going overboard with hate, yes absolutely, a lot of fans going around trashing Morbid Angel like what they did was the end of the world, I have said numerous times how disappointed I was with this release and still am but I won't turn on the band, every band delivers albums not everyone will like.

Reaction score
First off, nice job on the review Riff. I found this album laughable at best. I couldn't believe my ears the first time I heard it. I was dumbfounded. Illiud is a shit stain on Morbid Angel's legacy. If you're thinking of going out and purchasing this album I beg you! Do not buy this album, and if you do, may God have mercy on your soul. Thank you.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will say that the album wasn't shit from front to back, it had 4 songs I did like, Existo Vulgore, Nevermore, Blades for Baal, Beauty Meets Beast.
The rest of it is putrid. Ridiculous song titles like Too Extreme, I Am Morbid, Radikult.

Reaction score
Yeah I know, those songs were decent by themselves. But the crap songs overshadow the album and just make it an all around crap listening experience imo. This release really left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I know, those songs were decent by themselves. But the crap songs overshadow the album and just make it an all around crap listening experience imo. This release really left a nasty taste in my mouth.

I agree, I will still listen to those 4 songs but the rest of it is awful and I won't be touching lol
For an album to be worth buying at least 60-70% of the songs have to be at least on par.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online