Montrose and Gamma guitarist Ronnie Montrose passes away

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I just played part of the first Montrose album from 1973, as happens on these occasions, and it's difficult for me to envisage a more glorious sounding drum/bass/guitar/vocal hard rock sound from the 1970's than 'Space Station No.5'....you can hear the huge influence this overall sound clearly had on Van Halen a few years later...

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

SAMMY HAGAR: 'It's A Shame To Lose RONNIE MONTROSE' - Mar. 4, 2012
Former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT singer Sammy Hagar has commented on the passing of his former bandmate Ronnie Montrose (MONTROSE, GAMMA), who died yesterday (Saturday, March 3) after a five-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 64 years old.

Said Hagar in a statement posted on his official web site: "Ronnie Montrose gave me my first break as a songwriter, as a frontman, as a recording artist, as a touring artist, and for that I will always be grateful.

"I was looking forward to a reunion for my birthday bash in Cabo with Denny [Carnassi, drums], Bill [Church, bass] and Ronnie — one of the few bands from that era where all four original members were still able to do it.

"It's a shame to lose Ronnie and I'm so sorry for his loved ones. Rest in peace."

Born in Denver, Colorado, Montrose's first break when he played Van Morrison's classic 1971 album, "Tupelo Honey". He also appeared on recordings by Boz Scaggs and the EDGAR WINTER GROUP (1972's "They Only Come Out At Night") before going solo under the MONTROSE moniker in 1973 (with a very young Sammy Hagar on vocals). The MONTROSE band released two albums, "Montrose" and "Paper Money", before Hagar left to pursue a solo career. Montrose continued to release albums with the MONTROSE band, but focused his attention mostly on his solo career as well as his other band, GAMMA, which released four albums between 1979 and 2000.

After being diagnosed with cancer in 2007, Montrose took some time off from playing and performing to focus on his health.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
kissonline.com

Ronnie Montrose, a great guitarist and friend of the band has lost his battle with cancer and has sadly passed away. His first band album "Montrose" remains a classic and his influence can be heard in numerous contemporary guitarists. We will miss him and send our condolences to his family.

KISS

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
JK Northrup: "I am overwhelmed by this beyond the words I can express. Ronnie was not only one of my biggest influences as a guitarist, but was a friend and also helped me with my career not only as a producer of some of my earlier recordings, but he also gave me verbal and mental inspiration that was invaluable. Ronnie was one of the most amazing performers of all time. The first Montrose album is in my top 5 favorite and was the beginnings of west coast American hard rock. RIP Ronnie, you will always be a part of who I am."

Richie Kotzen: "Sad times for the guitar community. RIP Ronnie Montrose."

Billy Sheehan: "Rest in Peace, Ronnie Montrose. First Montrose record---one of the greatest rock records ever made."

Slash: "Myles just told me Ronnie Montrose passed. fn' shame. "Montrose" is one of the all time great R&R albums. Major influence. RIP man. IiiI; )'"

Glenn Hughes: "Just heard that my good friend Ronnie Montrose has passed away....I'm speechless...RIP my brother...you will be missed @ the Hughes's...GH"

gguerra

Reaction score
Ronnie was one my first "Guitar Heros". R.I.P.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online