Review MonaLisa Twins new album Orange

album review

Jung Roe

Reaction score
There have been a few defining musical moments in my life. When I first heard Pink Floyds “Wish you were here”, Supertramp “Even in the quietest moments”, Beatles 1962-1966 (The Red Album) and 1967-1970 (The Blue Album), and now the MonaLisa Twins Orange Album. This is truly good stuff, every single track, as each one is so intimate and personal. It’s like the very best of the last 55 years of rock music all came together in perfection and harmony. Mona and Lisa have truly created a masterpiece of an album, and to think all this great music was whirling around in their heads for the last 2 years. I still have goosebumps from Tracks 8 and 12 among others, and I know I’m going to enjoy listening to this album for many years to come. The world really needs to hear this album!

Jung Roe
So after over 2 months of listening to the Orange album almost every day, here are some additional thoughts I have of the Orange dream.

In 1966 the Beach Boys produced Pet Sounds album which was a revolution in rock and roll music song writing and studio production. In the studio Brian Wilson (at age 23) experimented with multiple tracks, and an array of instruments and studio production creativity never before seen in Rock music. Pet Sounds, http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-pet-sounds-15-things-you-didnt-know-20160516, would be hailed by many critics as one of the greatest of all time Rock albums, although it did not have the same chart topping success as the Beatles “Sargent Peppers” Album would enjoy . The Beatles took notice and a year later did their own revolutionary album, Sgt Peppers http://www.rollingstone.com/music/a...tles-sgt-peppers-anniversary-editions-w484397

These two great albums would elevate Rock music to newer artistic depth and heights than ever before. When I listen to Orange, I hear influence from the kind of creativity and great song writing that went into Pet Sounds and Sgt Peppers, in a modern and unique sound of the MonaLisa Twins.

These two Beach Boys and Beatles covers Mona and Lisa did early in their careers, (
) are just a couple of examples of the kind of musical influence they inherited from the greats of the 60s era. The studio versions of these classic songs they were able to re-produce in their very own unique style are just delightful, and it is this kind of experience that has made them the great songwriters, singers, and musicians they have proven to be today in Orange with their original music.

I just love “Sweet Lorraine”, among many others from Orange (like “Close to You”, “Count on Me”, “Club 27”, and “Still a Friend of Mine” etc…) with a wonderful beat music sound reminiscent of the 60s, enriched with the sounds of trumpet, band, and children’ chorus. As I have said previously I think their Orange Album take the elements from the greatest in Rock music over the last 50+ years in a fresh modern unique sound that is so missing today.

Just for fun: Pet Sounds vs Sargent Peppers

https://music.avclub.com/which-is-better-pet-sounds-or-sgt-pepper-s-1798288198

Visit MonaLisa Twins at their Youtube channel for more on their music.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWK_fTtt5p1nBw__P_V_qBw

nedkelly

Reaction score
Yes, thanks for this. Didn't know these chicks. They remind me of the musical prowess of another femme duo called Larkin Poe, who do covers of famous artists in a divine way as well as writing their own stuff.

Jung Roe

Reaction score
Here is a just released video of their absolutely beautiful original "Still a Friend of Mine" track from the Orange album. Lisa main vocal, Mona back up vocal, and their father Rudi on the piano.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online