Misfits (Official Thread)

Nora

Reaction score
MISFITS​

316507.jpg
the-misfits-fiend-skull.jpg

The Misfits are an American punk rock band often recognized as the progenitors of the horror punk subgenre, blending punk rock and other musical influences with horror film themes and imagery. Founded in 1977 in Lodi, New Jersey by singer and songwriter Glenn Danzig, the group had a fluctuating lineup during its first six years with Danzig and bassist Jerry Only as the only consistent members. During this time they released several EPs and singles and, with Only's brother Doyle as guitarist, the albums Walk Among Us (1982) and Earth A.D./Wolfs Blood (1983), both considered touchstones of the early-1980s hardcore punk movement.

Members

(Oct. 1980–Apr. 1982)

Glenn Danzig - vocals
Jerry Only - bass
Doyle - guitar
Arthur Googy - drums

Biography

The Misfits were formed in January 1977 in Lodi, New Jersey by Glenn Danzig, who had previous experience performing in local bands. Naming the band after actress Marilyn Monroe's final film The Misfits (1961), Danzig recruited guitarist Jimmy Battle, bassist Diane DiPiazza, and drummer Manny Martínez to fill out the lineup while Danzig himself sang and played the electric piano. Both Battle and DiPiazza left the band after a month of practices. Martínez recommended his friend Jerry Caiafa to Danzig as a replacement, as Caiafa had recently received a bass guitar as a Christmas gift. Caiafa was accepted into the band despite having only been practicing his instrument for two months. He and Danzig would remain the only consistent members of the Misfits until the group disbanded in 1983. The trio of Danzig, Martínez, and Caiafa rehearsed for three months without a guitarist, using Danzig's electric piano to provide the songs' rhythm. They recorded the band's first single, "Cough/Cool", which they released through their own label Blank Records in August 1977. Caiafa's surname was misspelled on the record's sleeve, prompting him to insist that in the future he be credited as "Jerry, only Jerry". "Jerry Only" quickly became his pseudonym, which he would continue to use for the rest of his career. The band played their first two performances at CBGB in New York City, followed by other local performances over the following two months.

Discography

Walk Among Us (1982)

Misfits_-_Walk_Among_Us_cover.jpg

Earth A.D. (1983)

Misfits_-_Earth_A.D._cover.jpg

American Psycho (1997)

Misfits_-_American_Psycho_cover.jpg

Static Age (1997)

Misfits_-_Static_Age_cover.jpg

Famous Monsters (1999)

Misfits_-_Famous_Monsters_cover.jpg

Project 1950 (2003)

Misfits_-_Project_1950_cover.jpg

The Devil's Rain (2011)

Misfits_-_The_Devil%27s_Rain_cover.jpg

Songs

Last edited:

JoetheBoss

Lost Ramones member
Reaction score
I am Misfits fan, but I don't like new stuff. I think that the best era for the Misfits was the Danzig era. After they re-formed in 1997 without Danzig their songs were still good but not as great as they would have been with Danzig singing.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I see people wearing shirts and jackets with the Misfits' logo on it all the time but I have very strong doubts that they actually listen to the band's music. I would actually even wager that they are not even aware that it's a band logo they are wearing. I have seen the merchandise at Hot Topic for years and I bet these wannabe rebels see it and go "Oooo skulls are dark and I'm totally a misfit. That's for me." and then they buy the skirt in pink. It's very sad if you ask me. :nw:

JoetheBoss

Lost Ramones member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. It's the same with Ramones logo shirts. Luckily that doesn't happen in my country.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I agree on the shirts & agree that the Danzig era was the best but I really do enjoy Project 1950 (I grew up with 3 older sisters in the 1960's & 70's so I grew up with all of those tunes). I find the album to be almost a fun novelty album

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online