Mike Love, True Genius of the Beach Boys!!!

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
algernon said:
Absolutely. :)

It's funny...three or four years ago, I never would have dreamed I'd be defending any Beach Boys tune, let alone "Don't Worry Baby." They didn't click with me until my mid-20s.

DocRock

Vinyl Overlord
Reaction score
...where the hell is Dennis Wilson when we need him? He would have just knocked the **** outta Mike and stuffed his surfboard right up where there's no sunny beaches....just sand...

algernon

Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
It's funny...three or four years ago, I never would have dreamed I'd be defending any Beach Boys tune, let alone "Don't Worry Baby." They didn't click with me until my mid-20s.
They didn't click with me until the early eighties...and I was a casual Beach Boys fan. I had heard "California Girls" a thousand times...but one afternoon I REALLY listened to it and (oh man) I "got" the genius of Brian Wilson. Listen: I know alot of you out there don't get it. I don't get opera...but I know there's something to be got,...ya know? Regarding the music of Brian Wilson:please believe me when I say: THERE IS SOMETHING TO BE GOT. DON'T GIVE UP.

DarkWishWall

Reaction score
England - The birth of great music! Specifically B
Hang on, ok I think we've got mixed up (probably my fault) between songwriting and lyric writing, and between Brian and Mike. Brian is one of the most innovative writers of the twentieth century, but as for the lyrics, I don't see them as anything more than plain moronic to be honest. Sure, that doesn't matter really, it makes great pop music, but when discussing the matter of 'Is Mike Love an arse?' I think it should be called into consideration that the lyrics to most of the early sixties stuff is that of an arse.

Indeed the adolescent soul is a misunderstood, misunderstanding, tortured thing. BUT not for 'winners' like Mike Love, who have had it mostly easy. When someone is an outcast or an outsider (Morrisey and Kurt Cobain to name but two of the top of my head in five seconds) they generally write great lyrics. When someone is a stud and doing well and above all else, NORMAL, they tend to write incredibly boring lyrics that mean nothing. Most great bands have one: e.g. The Who had Roger Daltrey, very much a great performer but not really an 'artist'

There are Poets that become rock stars, and then there are Rock stars that become poets.

Last edited:
A

ass

Martha Washington said:
I was looking at Martin Q. Blank's thread and decided, it was high time that The Cult of Mike take root!!
So, here it is, a thread to worship at the sensible shoes of Rock's most underrated genius, Mike Love!!!

mikelove.gif

mike is not only cute and dreamy, his brain is so large it pokes out of the top of his head.
THAT'S why he always wears his little hat.

Please do me a favor. I've never understood the greatness of the Beach Boys, and I've seen them compared to the Beatles. What should I listen to, to get it?

Pet sounds? Enlighten me.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
sorry.
the music either does that or it doesn't.
explaining won't work.

me, I got it the first time I heard "Good Vibrations" on my little japanese transistor radio.

a lot of it, for me, is the melodies.
sorry, that's really about the best I can do.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I think either you feel the Beach Boys in your heart chakra or you don't.
I opted for a flakey psuedo-spiritual response since this is the Mike Love thread

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
sorry.
the music either does that or it doesn't.
explaining won't work.
I think either you feel the Beach Boys in your heart chakra or you don't.

It's really true.

Coming around to the greatness of Brian Wilson was like a religious epiphany.

Rock On!

Music Lover
Reaction score
ass said:
Please do me a favor. I've never understood the greatness of the Beach Boys, and I've seen them compared to the Beatles. What should I listen to, to get it? Pet sounds? Enlighten me.

"Pet Sounds" was one of the most influential albums in the entire history of the Rock era.

Paul McCartney has stated that "Pet Sounds" is his favorite album ever, and "God Only Knows" (from PS) his favorite song.

But as Martha explained, you either get it or you don't. Some will listen to it and be deeply moved, while others will listen and say "so what?".

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
ass said:
Please do me a favor. I've never understood the greatness of the Beach Boys, and I've seen them compared to the Beatles. What should I listen to, to get it?

Pet sounds? Enlighten me.

Yes. For the love of God, pick up this record:

B00005ASHM.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Even if the ubiquitous hits leave you cold, hopefully this record won't.

As for the Beatles connection...Sir Paul McCartney is a big fan. He's often cited "Pet Sounds" as a favorite album and singled out "God Only Knows" as one of the greatest (if not the greatest) songs of all time.

The Beatles' producer George Martin is also a huge fan. Believe it or not, he said if he had to choose one person as a living genius of popular music, he'd choose Brian Wilson.

If you end up liking "Pet Sounds," I'd also check out "Today," "Summer Days (And Summer Nights)," "Sunflower," "Surf's Up" and Brian Wilson's "SMiLE."

There are other great moments in the BB's catalogue, but you do have to tread rather cautiously.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online