Micheal Jackson Music & Performance (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: The Official Micheal Jackson Music & Performance Appreciation Thread

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No Velvet! If we were talking about the drama and controversy then THAT would be beating a dead horse. Still talking about music by MJ is NO DIFFERENT than talking about all the other bands/artist from the past! :bonk:

For the ones who get what I'm saying here's a new Micheal song on what will be his last official album:

Micheal Jackson-Micheal
Michael-Jackson-Michael.jpg

Breaking News

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

@ MetalPriest-Is it me or is Paul not one to just collaborate with just anyone whether they are a huge star or not. I know they had a rocky road but I think they had a mutual respect for each other musically even after that! :grinthumb
I'm pretty sure that the riff (or is it rift) between McCartney and Jackson came after they had collaborated together on Say Say Say and The Girl is Mine. I could be wrong, but memory tells me that it had to do with Jacko's purchase of the Beatles catalog. Two parts to it, one was that Jacko was selling permissions to bands that wanted to re-record/cover Beatles tracks and Paul wanted some say in it as some bands/artists he wasn't too keen on. But I think the biggest thing was that Jackson even went after the Beatles catalog in the first place. Sort of that thing with you don't go after your friend's ex, it doesn't matter how many years they've been apart, you simply don't go there.

Maybe a bad analogy, but it's all I've got at the moment.

And again, I could be wrong on this, but that's how I remember it going down 20 or so years ago.

@ Lynch-That song is so cool! It shows that Micheal had an edge for a pop star. It's not balls to the walls rock but it has a slow dark groove with some cool guitar in their. Micheal really plays it straight with no eccentricities in this one and it makes for a great rocking performance!
:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure that the riff (or is it rift) between McCartney and Jackson came after they had collaborated together on Say Say Say and The Girl is Mine. I could be wrong, but memory tells me that it had to do with Jacko's purchase of the Beatles catalog. Two parts to it, one was that Jacko was selling permissions to bands that wanted to re-record/cover Beatles tracks and Paul wanted some say in it as some bands/artists he wasn't too keen on. But I think the biggest thing was that Jackson even went after the Beatles catalog in the first place. Sort of that thing with you don't go after your friend's ex, it doesn't matter how many years they've been apart, you simply don't go there.

Maybe a bad analogy, but it's all I've got at the moment.

And again, I could be wrong on this, but that's how I remember it going down 20 or so years ago.

:grinthumb

Oh I believe you're right as I've heard that Lynch but I thought that things had smoothed over and settled. I know Paul paid his tributes upon Micheal's death and if Paul was mad he kept pretty quiet about the ordeal. I still think that their respect for each others talents remained! :grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Oh, I'm sure that even if they never repaired their friendship (which I don't know one way or the other of they did), I'd bet they both had a great respect for each other's talents.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Lynch is right on target, it was about business not music or personal relations between Paul and Michael. From what I remember when they were recording "Ebony & Ivory" (I think it was), Paul mentioned in passing how owning copyrights to artists catalogs was a great investment and an easy way to make a lot of money...of course he never for one moment thought that MJ would buy the rights to the Beatles catalog and that really pissed him off. Of course when MJ was circling the drain financially before his death he had to sell most of his assets including the Beatles catalog and I think McCartney owns them now, so it came full circle.

Moral of the story, sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, saves complications later on in many cases, so Paul had no one to blame but himself for the whole thing.

Last time I looked Paul was the wealthiest musician in history, so I think he is doing just fine for himself.

rtbuck

Reaction score

I don't care for much other than the Thriller & Off the Wall albums but By far my favorite:

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

Lynch is right on target, it was about business not music or personal relations between Paul and Michael. From what I remember when they were recording "Ebony & Ivory" (I think it was), Paul mentioned in passing how owning copyrights to artists catalogs was a great investment and an easy way to make a lot of money...of course he never for one moment thought that MJ would buy the rights to the Beatles catalog and that really pissed him off. Of course when MJ was circling the drain financially before his death he had to sell most of his assets including the Beatles catalog and I think McCartney owns them now, so it came full circle.

Moral of the story, sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, saves complications later on in many cases, so Paul had no one to blame but himself for the whole thing.

Last time I looked Paul was the wealthiest musician in history, so I think he is doing just fine for himself.

Probably wasn't "Ebony and Ivory", considering Paul did that with Stevie Wonder, rather than Michael Jackson ;)

But I do remember reading that exact story before.

Anyway, apart from "Man In The Mirror" which is an all time classic, my favourite MJ tracks tend to come from the Jackson Five (I hope you don't mind me throwing in the Five into your thread, Sooty).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^:blush:

:lmao: It's been so long I forgot about him singing that with SW and not MJ...oh well the rest of the narrative is more or less accurate. Serves me right for going off on something before the coffee has kicked in.:bonk:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

@ Feldster-Jackson 5 is A-OK with me! It's still involving Micheal and they made some great music! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.