Metallica (Official Thread)

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
I have the actual concerts for both of those shows. The livemetallica.com source for the movie and the audience recording of the two S&M gigs. I have every LM show and I'll tell ya. They don't rerecord James vocals at all on those shows. Every bad note and missed lyric is there. That being said for the shows that were recorded for the movie he was spot on. What you hear in the movie is pretty much what was done. Not much was changed. I'll have to go back and listen to MOP to see how it originally sounded at the Vancouver gig.

As for S&M NLC as it appears on the cd/dvd is pretty much what he did live. He didn't redo the vocals they just heavily edited ....autotune (especially at the end of the song with those high notes) and the vocal effects for the chorus. Devil's Dance on the other hand...He did not do a good job on that one. He was screwing up lyrics left and right. That one is definitely redone. In fact if you watch the video while listening to the audience recording you'll find that when James is screwing up he's nowhere to be found on the DVD. but he sounds great!

I have the Live Metallica show as well, & on that small part at least is clearly different, that's why it stuck out to me like a sore thumb.

As for Clover, this speaks for itself:

Absolutely no crowd or symphony bleed into his mic. That wouldn't be possible if it were live. And there is on every other track, as can be heard here.

Made me a little sad when I found out, but hey, what can you do?

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
A LOT of bands edit and re-record stuff after-the-fact when they are recording a live album. Not everything goes as planned, voices crack, guitar-strings break, lyrics are forgotten, etc etc etc. It's part of the busines and has been for at least 40 years (or more). Look at all of the "Live" performances on tv shows in the 50s, 60s and 70s that were 100% lipsync'd. More than we probably care to remember.

Pappy

Reaction score
I have the Live Metallica show as well, & on that small part at least is clearly different, that's why it stuck out to me like a sore thumb.

As for Clover, this speaks for itself:

Absolutely no crowd or symphony bleed into his mic. That wouldn't be possible if it were live. And there is on every other track, as can be heard here.

Made me a little sad when I found out, but hey, what can you do?

Just went back and listened to the original audience recordings of NLC. He is definitely singing differently than what is heard on the CD. What's strange is James nails the song both nights. No flubbed lines. Great delivery. Makes me wonder if making NLC the single caused the rerecorded vocals.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Somewhere I have .mp3 files of the original soundboard recordings from the S&M show, they definitely are different from the official release.

I haven't listened to these ones with the isolated vocals yet, but will try to tonight.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seen the movie. Was ok but not particularly good. Metallica's performance was decent apart from some songs with the drums.

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
Another of the kinda sad things I've noticed is both the Nimes & Mexico City 2009 dvds are auto-tuned, though not to a painfully obvious extent. It's quite apparent when you A/B the LiveMetallica recording & the DVD audio.

Pappy

Reaction score
Another of the kinda sad things I've noticed is both the Nimes & Mexico City 2009 dvds are auto-tuned, though not to a painfully obvious extent. It's quite apparent when you A/B the LiveMetallica recording & the DVD audio.

Also Fade to Black on those two dvds sound awfully familiar to each other. Also obvious, especially on Nimes is the drumming was done later on.

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much all the kicks were added or enhanced in post, it's never even close to as precise & loud as it sounds on those dvds.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online