Metallica (Official Thread)

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
Was only half paying attention at the beginning of that and thought to myself "hrmm, the intro sounds pretty good", before about the 0:55 second mark where it became obvious that suddenly the original track stopped and they started to play live.

:heheh:

I then plugged in my headphones and started it over. Yeah, James voice sounds pretty good, although they did drop the key at least a key and a half. Nothing wrong with that, but it sounded goofy after the originally recorded intro that they played.

Yeah, I agree, the Eb is annoying live. They've been doing it since 1995. I've got a weird pet peeve about pitch & bands tuning down, but that's why I do this on my youtube.

So, so much better.

Also, some news on the new record, they're going to play a brand new song at these live shows.

METALLICA To Unveil New Song on Summer European Tour; Allow Fans To Pick the Rest of the Set List | Metal Injection

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
(taken from the movie thread)

Watching Metallica's Through the Never (2013) right now.

I have some opinions of this right now, but I'll wait until I finish the movie before I comment.

Metallica_Through_the_Never_film.jpg

Well... I have very mixed thoughts on this. First and foremost, I wish I would have seen this in the theater (IMAX preferably) because the sound would have been awesome. The concert audio in this movie is pretty damn good. The band sounds tight and that was very enjoyable.

But...

Then there are the detractions. As soon as the band started playing, I looked at my son and said "this really doesn't look like they are playing, they are basically lip-syncing this concert". There were points where it looked like and sounded like they were playing, but other points where it seemed painfully obvious that during post-production, they went back and re-recorded stuff (Kurts solos being the most obvious thing) in a number of the songs. The fast pan-in / zooms that the cameras were doing on the band was kind of weird as well. I have seen enough Metallica live concert footage to be able to pick this apart pretty quickly. It just didn't feel right. Then there were the fake flames shooting out of the stage. I'm sure some were real in spots, but other places in the film, it was almost disturbing how much they overdid it.

But, again, overall, the concert audio was pretty damn tight.

Now, on to the backstory or side story. This was dumb as hell and made absolutely no sense whatsoever. From the promos, it looked like there was going to be a cool side story, but in reality, it was just wasted film in my opinion. I'm not even going to waste time trying to explain it, go you wikipedia and check it out. While that is the dumbed down and slightly incorrect explanation, it's good enough.

The visuals and the stage show were pretty cool. Audio was great. Side story was dumb. Take away the side story and I'd give this movie an 8 out of 10 stars. With the waste-of-time storyline, I have to drop it back to a 6.5 or 7. For some, they may not have minded it. For me ... well, it bugged me.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Load and Reload together had enough good songs to make up one terrific CD! Here's my attempt at a single disc that I made several years back:

Metallica ~ Loaded

1. King Nothing (5:28)

2. Ain't My Bitch (5:04)

3. The House Jack Built (6:39)

4. Where The Wild Things Are (6:54)

5. Mama Said (5:20)

6. Fixxxer (8:15)

7. The Unforgiven II (6:36)

8. The Memory Remains (4:39)

9. Bleeding Me (8:18)

10. Devil's Dance (5:19)

11. Low Man's Lyric (7:37)

12. The Outlaw Torn (9:49)

Total time 79:54

King Nothing is my absolute favorite song from these albums and I think it's just perfect as a kickass opener. Then I included Ain't My Bitch as a rocking companion piece. House Jack Built and Wild Things sound similar and I think belong together. Then comes the ballad about mother followed with the epic side A closer about what father's done. Unforgiven II is the best opener I could find for side B. I originally had Memory Remains and Devil's Dance together but decided to bring Bleeding Me in and vary the tempo a bit. This also avoids clumping 2 slow songs Bleeding Me and Low Man's Lyric towards the end. Outlaw Town was simply made to be a closer.. what a classic! Thoughts?

Cool! I really can't understand the amount of flack these albums get, there are some really great tracks on them both. Out of the two I favour Load but it's interesting to see your combination of the two. My top song picks from these two are Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn (and you're right - if ever I heard a perfect closer of a song it's that one!) and these two songs are up there in with my all time favourites from the whole of Metallica's catalogue. Then you have absolute belters like The Unforgiven II, Until It Sleeps, The Memory Remains, Mama Said... Interesting to see you didn't include Fuel, I'm really not that keen on that one and can never understand why it seems to get more attention than some of the other much better songs.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Well... I have very mixed thoughts on this. First and foremost, I wish I would have seen this in the theater (IMAX preferably) because the sound would have been awesome. The concert audio in this movie is pretty damn good. The band sounds tight and that was very enjoyable.

But...

Then there are the detractions. As soon as the band started playing, I looked at my son and said "this really doesn't look like they are playing, they are basically lip-syncing this concert". There were points where it looked like and sounded like they were playing, but other points where it seemed painfully obvious that during post-production, they went back and re-recorded stuff (Kurts solos being the most obvious thing) in a number of the songs. The fast pan-in / zooms that the cameras were doing on the band was kind of weird as well. I have seen enough Metallica live concert footage to be able to pick this apart pretty quickly. It just didn't feel right. Then there were the fake flames shooting out of the stage. I'm sure some were real in spots, but other places in the film, it was almost disturbing how much they overdid it.

Now, on to the backstory or side story. This was dumb as hell and made absolutely no sense whatsoever. From the promos, it looked like there was going to be a cool side story, but in reality, it was just wasted film in my opinion. I'm not even going to waste time trying to explain it, go you wikipedia and check it out. While that is the dumbed down and slightly incorrect explanation, it's good enough.

The visuals and the stage show were pretty cool. Audio was great. Side story was dumb. Take away the side story and I'd give this movie an 8 out of 10 stars. With the waste-of-time storyline, I have to drop it back to a 6.5 or 7. For some, they may not have minded it. For me ... well, it bugged me.

Really need to see this! Tried my best to persuade Sox to take me to the cinema to see it but my pleas fell on deaf ears :wa The lip-syncing is going to be a bit of a blight on it, likewise if the side story is rubbish but I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of it :)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Tray, you definitely won't be disappointed with the music... I thought they sounded great. You can't tell how much "lip syncing" is going on, James is pretty spot on with most of it, however, what I noticed was what I was hearing being played by Kirk and Robert didn't always matchup with what I was seeing being played. James also gets a little rambunctious at times in his stage playing, moreso than I have ever seen him do.

Maybe I'm also picky because I've been playing guitar since the mid 80's (pre Master of Puppets) so I've been watching and listening to these guys since the very early days. Maybe the musician in me is being overly critical.

;)

Definitely rent it and see what you think. I'm pretty sure you'll still like it.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Oh yeah I'll defo watch it, maybe even take a chance and buy it rather than rent. I would've loved to have seen it at the cinema though to appreciate it fully.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought about buying it but if its really that bad I may just step back from that and watch it via stream or something. Musically is the only thing that matters but particularly the drum section to me.

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score

But...

Parts of the concert were touched up in the studio, yeah. For instance, one part that stuck out to me is the "Needle work the way" portion of Master of Puppets. James' vocals are completely redone in that short part for some reason.

It's nothing new, though. Hell, No Leaf Clover from S&M's vocals were completely redone in the studio.

Pappy

Reaction score
Parts of the concert were touched up in the studio, yeah. For instance, one part that stuck out to me is the "Needle work the way" portion of Master of Puppets. James' vocals are completely redone in that short part for some reason.

It's nothing new, though. Hell, No Leaf Clover from S&M's vocals were completely redone in the studio.

I have the actual concerts for both of those shows. The livemetallica.com source for the movie and the audience recording of the two S&M gigs. I have every LM show and I'll tell ya. They don't rerecord James vocals at all on those shows. Every bad note and missed lyric is there. That being said for the shows that were recorded for the movie he was spot on. What you hear in the movie is pretty much what was done. Not much was changed. I'll have to go back and listen to MOP to see how it originally sounded at the Vancouver gig.

As for S&M NLC as it appears on the cd/dvd is pretty much what he did live. He didn't redo the vocals they just heavily edited ....autotune (especially at the end of the song with those high notes) and the vocal effects for the chorus. Devil's Dance on the other hand...He did not do a good job on that one. He was screwing up lyrics left and right. That one is definitely redone. In fact if you watch the video while listening to the audience recording you'll find that when James is screwing up he's nowhere to be found on the DVD. but he sounds great!

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online