Member Mixtape Review: Cosmic Harmony

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Member Mixtape Review
mixcd.jpg

Cosmic Harmony
tumblr_lqi4u4uaJG1qz9yb6o1_500.jpg

As a belated Christmas gift, for no other reason than to be nice, member Cosmic Harmony sent me a mix of songs that ranged in scope but all had elements of music she thought I'd like. She was right. It was a perfect mix of impressively arranged songs that I'd never heard before and I loved it. As a fun project I'm going to review it song by song and write what i like about the song and how I can see what she would've thought I liked about it. This is why I love the forum and as a tribute to the efforts she put forth I'll put the effort into exposing these great songs!

P.S. I titled this mixtape review because it has a better ring to it! I don't miss blank cassettes! ;)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
The Red Paintings-Seeds
The_Red_Paintings_-_Reality_(Ahead_of_Schedule)_EP.jpg

When this c.d. kicked I knew I was in for a ride which is ironically when I threw it in on my way to see my family which was a 45 minute drive. I've never heard a song so influenced by The Smashing Pumpkins in my life and I ate it up. Seriously, if The Pumpkins did release this it wouldn't of been thrown in with their b-sides but would rather be an excellent companion piece/follow up to a song like Quiet. Every piece of guitar work in this sounds just like Siamese Dream/Pisces Iscariot era Pumpkins sung by Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol. In fact while it's not a bad vocal but it just reminds me why Billy was the perfect vocalist for SP. This is missing his seamless whisper to signature snarl that's always worked in these transitional type songs. One change that this groups adds is the cello/violin additions towards the end where it really got heavy. Even sounded a little Daves Matthews-ish starting at 6:38. The group pulled me in through it's Pumpkin tribute but kept me by building upon it! Great track!​

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Noah and the Whale-Instrumental I/Love of an Orchestra
FDOS2.jpg

[Choir]:
If you gotta run, run from hope.

I know I'll never be lonely,
I've got songs in my blood.
I'm carrying all the love of an orchestra.
Gimme the love of an orchestra.

So now in my deepest sorrow,
there's no need for despair.
I'm carrying all the love of an orchestra.
Gimme the love of an orchestra.

[Choir]:
If you gotta run, run from hope.

From the shouts of "Melancholy, Melancholy" the prior song shouted (also possibly a Pumpkin reference :tongue:) comes a song that could blow those melancholy blues away for anyone who has a soul. I've seen Cosmic and others mention this group before and Cosmic in fact had it on her 2011 list everyone should be checking out. ;) I had liked that one but I reeeaaaally liked this one. :grinthumb This song has a cinematic 70's feel to me. I can almost hear it playing as the protagonist runs into the streets of a small town on a sunny day. Beautiful melody especially in the beginning instrumental part. Then it went a little musical theater on me but I could still dig it. I mean I doooo love an orchestra. :grinthumb I mean for upbeat songs this beats everything out there and I'd rather be "shuffling" to this than any of the electronic pop or dance music today! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
The Avett Brothers-Ill With Want
IandLoveandYou.jpg

I am sick with wanting and it's evil and it's daunting
How I let everything I cherish lay to waste
I am lost in greed, this time it's definitely me
I point fingers but there's no one there to blame

A need for something, now let me break it down again
A need for something but not more medicine

I am sick of wanting and it's evil how it's got me
And every day is worse than the one before
The more I have the more I think I'm almost where I need to be
If only I could get a little more

Something has me, oh something has me
Acting like someone I don't wanna be
Acting like someone I know isn't me
Ill with want and poisoned by this ugly greed

Temporary is my time, ain't nothing on this world that's mine
Except the will I found to carry on
Free is not your right to chose
It's answering what's asked of you
To give the love you find until it's gone

Acting like someone I don't wanna be
Acting like someone I know isn't me

I was trying the hardest to figure out this song on this mix because I usually corner the market on this genre in recent years. When I found out it was The Avett Brothers it clenched the deal. I had already listened to "You and I Love You" the single and thought it was a good track. Hearing this I know I'm going to really like the album. This track reminds me in places of little known songwriter Joe Firstman who I'm a big fan of. Also has a big Elton John feel to me with the folk/roots rock element making it stand out. Regardless I love what the vocalist does in this genre where he keeps a great tone without going too much in the twangy territory. I concede that these guys may not have as much of the folk harmonies as the Dawes group I like but I think they've done a better job at what Dawes is trying to go for.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
This is going to be another interesting thread Soots!

Wow that Red Paintings song really is like a Pumpkins track, so it goes without saying I like it! I really dig the last minute or so when the pace kicks up a notch (or three!) and the violin is well and truly unleashed - great stuff :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
This is going to be another interesting thread Soots!

Wow that Red Paintings song really is like a Pumpkins track, so it goes without saying I like it! I really dig the last minute or so when the pace kicks up a notch (or three!) and the violin is well and truly unleashed - great stuff :grinthumb

Yes, this is fun when we can really get members to cross that bridge and share music with others. I think Cosmic has been hiding this secret from Pumpkin fans for too long! :D Honestly, if anyone sent me a mixtape I'd be all for doing the same idea with it! :cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well first of all I'm flattered that you're writing an entire review for this, Sooty. I'll be be looking forward to reading what you think about each one.

I think I'll share my thoughts on them as you go along with posting them. ;)

It's true, I have been hiding that Red Paintings song from you all way back from the Musical Thirst days in fact. Had someone put it up on Youtube before me (last night) however I probably would've spilled the beans a long time ago because that song was just calling out for you. :heheh: They also have a full time violinist as well as a full time cellist in the band so The Red Paintings always have a very strong emphasis on strings (as you noticed), which I love.

I know you love big, full sounding vocals and what's fuller sounding than an entire choir? One thing I thought was interesting about this song was that usually when bands bring in a choir it's a more gospel or soul inspired one. Noah and the Whale however have a very (for lack of a better term) white sounding one on this song. :heheh:

I've been trying my darndest to get you to buy that Avett Brothers album without flat out saying "Hey, go buy that!" because I know you'll love it so hopefully that'll be incentive enough. :D Really, all of the songs on the "I and Love and You" album are great and well written, both musically and lyrically, but "Ill With Want" has special stand out place for me. Also I don't know if you picked up on this but there are actually dual lead vocals in that song between the two Avett brothers, Scott and Sett, with the latter singing much of the song but Scott handling the "a need for something..." part and the higher harmonies.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Felix Riebl-They Don't Know Me Like You Do
FelixRieblIntotheRain.jpg

Don't send me your photograph
I'm over the other side
your happiness makes me smile
your happiness makes me sad

Cos they don't know you like I do
they don't know you like I do

Don't send me your lovely sighs
like death from another time
your friends keep you warm at night
your friends keep you warm at night

But they don't know you like I do
they don't love you like I do
they don't know you like I do
they don't burn for you like I do

This is fitting as I just placed the Felix song I really liked from Cosmic in my 2011 best of list. While I definitely like the other Felix song better this is another solid track. It reminds me of tracks by Damien Rice when he uses that really slow, dark vocal:

Anything that reminds me of Damien can't be bad. It's a loungy type bar song where you can picture a man there staying right until he has no choice but to go home.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I can see your Damien comparison with that song though, being that it's longer it goes to more places than Felix's. His is just a soft little tune with painful lyrics and whispery vocals. Damien is all about those dynamics though and that's one of my favorite things about him. :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Paul Simon-Silent Eyes
album-still-crazy-after-all-these-years.jpg

Silent eyes
Watching
Jerusalem
Make her bed of stones

Silent eyes
No one will comfort her
Jerusalem
Weeps alone

She is sorrow
Sorrow
She burns like a flame
And she calls my name

Silent eyes
Burning
In the desert sun
Halfway to Jerusalem
And we shall all be called as witnesses
Each and every one
To stand before the eyes of God
And speak what was done

Wow, I got a couple of surprises on this track. First, anyone who pays attention, like Cosmic, knows I'm a big Simon and Garfunkel fan. Now Paul Simon solo is a different story. I've never followed his career and never thought he'd be appealing without Garfunkels harmonies. I'm so off on my knowledge that until now I thought Harmony was trying to give me a track off the new Paul Simon album. I had no idea it was a 70's album. :omg: Anyway, I really like the track and it makes me want to hear more solo stuff. This almost sounds a little Peter Gabrielish to me. Pauls voice still has the quality I like from S&G but he plays it more straight hear and let's the music do the ambiance rather than the duel harmonies. The sparse piano is really brought out and the bass compliments it well. The choir adds the grandness to it and it's a simple song that's both subtle and epic in structure. Love it more and more with each listen! :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online