Mellotron....the Prog Rock hidden weapon?

rocktrade

Reaction score
Mellotron....the Prog Rock hidden weapon?

This keyboard single handedly shaped the sound of early King Crimson, Moody Blues, even Genesis and Yes.

There is an excellent website dedicated to the instrument and gives comprehensive details of bands that have used it and even odd songs and artists where it was used in session.

I discovered some absolute gems by view 'planet mellotron' (google it):
PFM
Sandrose
Sebastian Hardie
Anekdoten

all are top notch prog from around the world.

Find out for yourelf and enjoy!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I love the Mellotron, it adds that ethereal quality to so many bands as you pointed out. And not just prog/rock either, one of my favorite southern rock bands incorporates it beautifully into their sound as well.

jives11

Reaction score
Totally agree. Have you heard the track "Mellowing Grey" by Family ? The mellotron in that always makes me cry

Khor1255

Reaction score
I remember jamming with a band of mostly keyboard players that had two members who actually owner mellowtrons. I couldn't help but lose a lot of respect for them for getting rid of these fantastic instruments in favor of synths that supposedly 'made the same sounds'.

I mean, these were musicians. I heard these sounds and they weren't even as good as the mellowtron knockoff instrument the optigan (opticon?). I also knew a guy who owned one of these and made very cool recordings on it. There is no sample box that even comes close to capturing the sound (and subsequent maneuvering) of these instruments.

jives11

Reaction score
I agree, but you have to remember the mellotron used tape loops to hold the samples on, using 1960's technology. Lots of delicate moving parts and I think they were VERY high maintenance, so probably like running a classic car i.e expensive and at times heart breaking. I agree, they probably kick themselves now, but at the time they probably got tired of the amount of downtime maybe ?

Also on the subject of not being only on Prog. Possibly most famous mellotron part is the intro to "Strawberry Fields forever" which gives it that wonderfully dreamy quality.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Even the opticon (gan? can't really remember how it was spelled) required warming up, running for a while, the correct disc (in the case of a mellowtron tape loop) etc to even be able to play it to a degree of reliability. This is why when you see a guy playing a tron on stage you have to respect him for being a true sound chaser.

I'm not saying they weren't a severe pain in the ass. I'm saying there is absolutely nothing that replaces them.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Completely threw me when I heard a Mellontron being used in Bob Seeger song done live called "Turn The Page".

Maurice Gibb of the Bee-Gees also used the Mellontron during the 60s I think - "Every Christian Lion Hearted Man Will Show You" & "Horizontal" are two songs which comes to mind. Maurice was particularly good at choosing which keyed instrument from song to song I think.

Khor1255

Reaction score
If you listen to a lot of late 60s through mid 70s stuff you will hear the mellowtron left and right. Every time it sounds like an orchestra but not quite? That might be one guy with one of these fantastic instruments.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I'm unsure if the recent Deep Sea Arcade song "Outlands" has a Mellontron in it, to me it sounds like it, I think this is the only song from their "Outlands" album which has Mellontron in it, though I could be wrong.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online