Megadeth (Official Thread)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
MEGADETH

Megadeth-Roadrunner.jpg

Megadeth Official Website

Megadeth is a heavy metal band from Los Angeles, California that formed in 1983. Megadeth was founded by Dave Mustaine and Dave Ellefson following Mustaine's departure from Metallica.

As a pioneer of the American thrash metal movement, Megadeth rose to international fame in the 1980's and was ranked as one of the "Big Four of Thrash," along with Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax, who were responsible for creating, developing and popularizing the thrash metal sub-genre. Megadeth has experienced numerous line-up changes, due partly to the band's notorious substance abuse problems.

In the band's 24 active years, Megadeth has had 20 official members, with Dave Mustaine remaining as the driving force.

Megadeth is known for its distinctive instrumental style, often featuring dense, intricate passages and trade off guitar solos. Mustaine is also known for his "snarling" vocal style, as well as his recurring lyrical themes including politics, war, addiction, personal relationships, and the occult.

Probably my favorite out of the big four.

Love them or hate them, they played a big role in the metal scene and are just as important as Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax.

Discography:

1985 Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good!
1986 Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?
1988 So Far, So Good... So What!
1990 Rust in Peace
1992 Countdown to Extinction
1994 Youthanasia
1997 Cryptic Writings
1999 Risk
2001 The World Needs a Hero
2004 The System Has Failed
2007 United Abominations
2009 Endgame
2011 TH1RT3EN
2013 Super Collider

The best albums to buy are Rust In Peace, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying, Killing Is My Business...But Business is Good, and Countdown to Extinction.

Removed dead video

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: Megadeth

I'm much less into metal that I used to be but Megadeth is still my favorite of the the "big Four". Dave is a very distinctive singer and their I think they have more depth to them than Metallica, Anthrax, and ESPECIALLY Slayer.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Peace Sells has always been my favorite album by them, with the title track also being my favorite tune by them

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Really like Megadeth.. Great .. GREAT rocking band.. Very intense anti establishment lyrics..
One of my favorites since most of the ones posted I like..

MP Edit: Video removed from Youtube

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

I'm a huge fan and I've seen them live a number of times - they always deliver. People who don't like Megadeth often bring up Dave's voice/snarl as crap but... I really love how he 'sings'. Probably my fave of the big four as well.

Can't really pick a fave album... gotta be between the first 5 though. Endgame is as strong as anything they've released, btw.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Another well written thread Mud, thanks.

I like Megadeth but they are not my favorite I prefer Metallica. Not taking anything away from Mustaine's talent he is very good.

I am with Lynch as far as favorite CD...Peace Sells...:D

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score

Rust in Peace is my favourite metal cd. I love them from the beginning till 1992.
With The system has Failed they made a return to good form. And Endgame is simply terrific.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

This is one of my favorites and no one has mentioned it yet so.....here....

I especially once the double bass part comes in.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=134737

MEGADETH Rejoined By Bassist DAVID ELLEFSON - Feb. 8, 2010

MEGADETH founder and frontman Dave Mustaine has announced the return of original bassist David Ellefson (1983-2002) to the iconic multi-platinum group. This reunion is appropriately timed to MEGADETH's upcoming historic month-long "Rust In Peace" 20th anniversary tour which launches March 1 in Spokane, WA. At these incredibly special shows, MEGADETH will play their landmark, genre-defining 1990 album "Rust In Peace" in its entirety, in addition to other MEGADETH favorites.

"This shows the power of brotherly love and forgiveness," Mustaine says. "David Ellefson belongs in MEGADETH. Next we are going to show you the power of getting your asses kicked...HARD!"

David Ellefson concurs: "This is a huge moment for all of us, band and fans alike. It is a great celebration of the music from one of the biggest landmark albums of our career."

Ellefson will join Mustaine and MEGADETH band members Shawn Drover (drums) and Chris Broderick (guitar) on tour in support of the group's current CD, "Endgame", which has received some of the highest critical accolades of the band's career.

"We'd like to thank James Lomenzo for several years of loyal service on the bass, and wish him the very best," Mustaine adds.

Ellefson filed suit against Mustaine in 2004, claiming, among other things, breach of fiduciary obligation, libel and emotional distress.

Speaking to Cindy Scull of the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas radio station 97.1 The Eagle Rocks in September 2009, Dave Mustaine stated about Lomenzo's addition to MEGADETH, "When Junior [Ellefson] and I parted ways, I thought, well, even though I don't care for this guy anymore after suing me, I certainly know it's gonna be some big shoes to fill. . . And when James Lomenzo came in... I was comparing James MacDonough [Ellefson's initial replacement in MEGADETH] to Junior a lot, and it wasn't working. But when Lomenzo came in, he plays as good as Junior does, and he sings better, because Junior couldn't sing. James was part of that WHITE LION thing way back in the '80s, and he can sing, man — he can sing really good."

In a fall 2009 interview with Eddie Trunk's "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM, Dave Mustaine was asked whether he and Ellefson have mended their differences. "Well, I forgave him, but I'll never play with him again," Mustaine replied. "I talked to him a little while ago about coming back and playing with us when I first took MEGADETH out of the ashes, and then there was a period after that where we discussed it again. It's just not right, [and] it'll never be right. The guy, his butt grew together when I called him Junior, and I'm thinking, 'What the hell is wrong with that?' If it's that nit-picky where you can't even call somebody a nickname he's had for 20 frickin' years, it's like, things have changed. I mean, like I said, he's a good bass player. I'm sure his band... whatever it's called... I think it's F5 or something. There's several F5s, though. So he's the one in the band without the girl singer. But I'm sure that if it's meant to be for him, he's gonna be successful again; if not, I know he's happy doing his thing [working as an as an artist relations representative] with Peavey [manufacturer of musical equipment, gear and accessories]. The bottom line is I still respect and appreciate what he did for me being the bass player in MEGADETH for so long. Although what he did to me was very, very hurtful — especially airing all of the stuff that happened, because a lot of the stuff wasn't true; some of it was true, and I made mistakes — I'm human; I make mistakes — and I made amends for it. But even still, having made amends, it didn't matter; I was still in this lawsuit [that Ellefson filed against Mustaine shortly after Mustaine announced that he was reforming MEGADETH with a new lineup]. And that was kind of hurtful. But the bottom line is I went out to Arizona and I met him, and I said, 'I forgive you.' When I became a Christian, I really, really [didn't wanna] be another one of these idiots that are Christians who walk around and they embarrass themselves. I don't tell people how to live their lives, I don't tell people, 'You need to go to church,' 'cause that's not my place; I've got enough wrong with me right now where I would be a complete hypocrite. But I did know that if I continued to hold on to that bitterness for him, who would be hurting? Me. Because [Ellefson] doesn't care if I forgive him or not. I mean, I'm sure it made him feel better, because when he lost, he lost a lot — he lost me, he lost the band, he lost a lot of fans, he lost a lot of money... He had to pay all my court costs and everything. But the bottom line, again, I forgave him. Now, does that mean we're gonna swap spit and Christmas cards and stuff like that? No."

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/dave-ellefson-exclusive-why-im-back-in-megadeth/

David Ellefson Exclusive: Why I’m Back In Megadeth
mdome / News, Top Posts / 09/02/2010 15:54pm

David Ellefson has exclusively told Classic Rock about the motivations behind his return to Megadeth, after an eight-year absence.

“It literally happened over the weekend,” says the delighted bassist. “And I can hardly believe it myself. There was clearly gonna be a change in the line-up, because James Lomenzo was leaving. Dave (Mustaine) and I talked on the phone, and all the feuds, all the arguments we’ve been having over the years just melted away. It just goes to show what direct contact can achieve!”

According to Ellefson, it was drummer Shawn Drover who instigated the whole thing.

“If you ever need a guy in a band to watch your back, then this is the man. Obviously, I have no clue what happened within the band. But I got a text from Shawn and it just said: ‘If ever there was a time for you and Dave to talk, now is it.’ It’s one of those messages you act on immediately. Typically of Megadeth, things then happened big and fast.

“In all honesty, talking to Dave again was wonderful. It was the right thing at the right time, done in the right spirit.”

Ellefson rejoins the band in time for their March tour of America, where they will play the whole of the 1990 album Rust In Peace.

“I have one big advantage – I think I know those songs already! Seriously though, I was in New York with one of my other bands, Hail!, when I found out that Megadeth were doing this, and I did feel a little upset that I wasn’t at that point gonna be part of it. But, hey, now it’s all changed.

“So far, the reaction I’ve had from everyone has been overwhelmingly positive. I cannot wait to get back out there with Megadeth.”

Mustaine is reported as saying: “David Ellefson belongs in Megadeth. Next we are going to show you the power of getting your asses kicked… HARD!”

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online