Megadeth - Dystopia

Metal Health

Reaction score
Never done a review before so please bear with me! :)

Dystopia by Megadeth

dystopia.jpg

A couple things before I get started with the track list...

This album seems to get back to the roots of Megadeth. The riffing, the soloing, even the bass parts seem to be very similar to Megadeth in the 80s. Dave Mustaine's songwriting is great on the album. I love his political writing and I wouldn't ask for anything else on a Megadeth album. The only thing I don't like about this album is Dave's voice. It has really worsened as of late. It's something that doesn't take away from the album's value, but it is worth noting.

Ok, here are the songs...

The Threat Is Real - This song is one of my favorites off the album. The track starts off with some kind of Middle Eastern type singing by a female Jordanian vocalist. The beautiful melody gets swallowed up by piercing riffs that soar into the first solo. This song is about Mustaine being hesitant to tour in the Middle East due to the chance of terrorist attacks.

Dystopia - My personal favorite from the album. It has a very catchy chorus that just repeats the title. Not much more to say, just a stellar song you need to hear for yourself, no explaining it.

Fatal Illusion - What you need to listen to in this one is this AMAZING bass line! The line starts at :57 and it is the highlight of the track. David Ellefson says it is his 5th favorite Megadeth bass line and one of the hardest for him to play.

Death From Within - This is a good song with another catchy chorus with very great background vocals. It has barley any instrumentals, surprisingly from Megadeth. A short intro and a short solo are is all the music without any vocals. Great track though. Mustaine's voice is actually really good and adds a lot to this.

Bullet To The Brain - This song starts out with an eerie picking intro with a snare drum accompanying it. It features an amazing tapping solo, great harmony vocals and what sounds like vocal overdubs.

Post American World - Being a political freak, I have to love this song. This warns people of the future if America stays on the track we are on now. There is so much truth in this song that it is scary. Another great tapping part in this song too.

Poisonous Shadows - This has a great picking intro that has two different guitar tracks. Really cool listening to that as a guitarist. There is a ton of soloing in this song. The song has an awesome melody and probably the softest song on the record.

Conquer Or Die! - This is an instrumental except for some very short spoken words at the end in some language that isn't English. That's all I can figure out! :) The first minute or so is purely acoustic and is really good guitar work.

Lying In State - This is so fast! It is such a great track that even has speedy vocals!

The Emperor I love this song! This is yet another catchy chorus. I believe this is about how the media amplifies everything famous people do. They have no privacy or secrecy. Everything they say or do ends up going public.

Foreign Policy - This is another very fast song. It has amazingly speedy soloing and seems like it never slows down. However, it ends the album well.

I feel like this is Megadeth's best album to date. I would highly recommend it to anyone that has any kind of an interest in thrash metal.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This one is very overrated. Everyone talks about how this is their favorite song. I'm tired of hearing all of that crap.
God forbid people are entitled to enjoy that song. It may be crap to you but not to me and others who love it. lol Decent review but the part I pointed out I felt to be a bit unnecessary as it implies its crap that anyone else likes the song Fatal Illusion.

Metal Health

Reaction score
God forbid people are entitled to enjoy that song. It may be crap to you but not to me and others who love it. lol Decent review but the part I pointed out I felt to be a bit unnecessary as it implies its crap that anyone else likes the song Fatal Illusion.

I'm really sorry. I was saying that I was tired of hearing everyone talk about how great this song is. In my opinion it is just okay. It isn't anything special but I should've been more careful with my words. I truly am sorry to anyone that was offended by that. It was not meant that way at all. It will get edited and changed to more clearly reflect my opinion.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm really sorry. I was saying that I was tired of hearing everyone talk about how great this song is. In my opinion it is just okay. It isn't anything special but I should've been more careful with my words. I truly am sorry to anyone that was offended by that. It was not meant that way at all. It will get edited and changed to more clearly reflect my opinion.

Its fine I was just being honest about my take on that. Wasn't offended, just pointing out wording could be better lol. A good review none the less. Dystopia I like a lot the song because it reminds me of Hangar 18. And Lying In State has some really killer riffs on it.

Have listened to this album many times and not got sick of it once and its still so far my 2016 album of the year.

Metal Health

Reaction score
Its fine I was just being honest about my take on that. Wasn't offended, just pointing out wording could be better lol. A good review none the less. Dystopia I like a lot the song because it reminds me of Hangar 18. And Lying In State has some really killer riffs on it.

Have listened to this album many times and not got sick of it once and its still so far my 2016 album of the year.

It's one of my favorite albums of all time. It has to be the 2016 album of the year because I've been disappointed by all the other metal albums this year so far. Asking Alexandria's new album wasn't bad though...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online