McCartney or Wilson?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I find McCartney to be more interesting as a song writer. He's more adventerous and will try everything and anything. The Beatles catalog alone shows this. His solo career, and this is just my opinion, shows that McCartney was the driving force behind the band's creativity.

:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You make a good point MP, but I'll counter with the argument if you took Paul out of the Beatles there was still a helluva a lot more talent to carry on than if you took Brian Wilson out of the Beach Boys at which point they would have more than likely faded into obscurity.

Paul's solo career is hit or miss with me, 3 top shelf albums and most of the others mediocre and a couple of outright duds. I don't own any of Wilson's solo albums and am not sure he even released any...:dunno:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
His completed version of Smile with the Wondermints, was really a solo album. I recommend it to Beach Boys fans or people who like harmonies. There was another album, Getting in Over My Head, with celebrity friends . . . like Paul McCartney. It's not as bad as you might think. There are others - I have a feeling he worked with Jeff Lynne, but I could be wrong.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
since this is between Paul's and Brian's best compositions, I'll take The Beach Boys and The Beatles out of it. That being said, Brian never made anything close to the albums "Ram", Red Rose Speedway", and "Band On The Run". Paul wins. Had Brian not gone crazy and literally wasted 10 years, he might of made some great stuff.

rockyraccoon

Reaction score
Grendels right, taking Paul out of The Beatles would hurt, but Lennon and Harrison are still amazing songwriters and the band would still be quite good (though Paul is the melody master). However, taking Wilson out of the Beach Boys is like taking Peyton Manning off of the Colts, a horrific sight indeed. Do you think Mike Love could've carried the Beach Boys? Not likely.

Last edited:

Redneck

punk
Reaction score
Was curious about people's opinions on this subject so dropped in and read both two pages. I didn't expect there will be none voters for Wilson here, since he's also awesome.
I tend to think McCartney has done so many wonderful hits that it's not to be compared to anyone else. Still I like them equally and luckily I can listen to them both anytime I want, because I don't think I'd be able to pick just one.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online