MC5 (Official Thread)

Emrock

Reaction score
mc5_2005_1.jpg

Website

Kick Out the Jams (1969)
Back in the USA (1970)
High Time (1971)

You had to see the MC-5 live to appreciate them when they kicked out the jams. It was like a combination of the loudest rock you've ever heard combined with a downhome, old fashioned revival meeting. From the first moment Brother J.C. Crawford took the stage to introduce them the excitement began to build and never let up. I was there the night they recorded the first album and they indeed Kicked Out the Jams. After being treated rudely by Cream's road crew at the Grande Ballroom one night, they decided to blow Clapton and company off the stage the next time they came to Motown. They opened for Cream a few months later and when they finished their set, Cream was reluctant to take the stage. They were definitely a hard act to follow.

The Five as we affectionately called them back in Detroit at the time also provided Led Zeppelin with one of their lines in Rock and Roll when they sang, "It's been a long time since I kicked out the jams." Plant and Page knew the Motor City rocked!​

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Re: The Motor City Five aka MC-5

Emrock said:
After being treated rudely by Cream's road crew at the Grande Ballroom one night, they decided to blow Clapton and company off the stage the next time they came to Motown. They opened for Cream a few months later and when they finished their set, Cream was reluctant to take the stage.

Cool! Revenge is a dish best served cold.

:grinthumb

Death on Credit

Reaction score

One of rock 'n roll's best and most under-appreciated acts.

Being there in the audience when they recorded their first album must have been an incredible experience, and I envy you greatly.

The Icon

Reaction score

:omg:
Only 3 posts on the MC5 official thread? This is a disgrace. One of the great bands of all time. Wayne Kramer was a great guitarist as was Sonic Smith. Those of you unfamiliar with them go to youtube and watch some of their live stuff. Until then, turn in your rocker cards.
Stay alive with the MC5!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Fixed up th OP a little better, and it's nice to see a bump for this thread!

I agree, there almost should be more posts on these guys! They ROCKED!!!

MC5inBuffalo.jpg

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I do like this band, must have been really something to be there when they recorded that album, I have it and it rocks hard. I missed them a few years ago when they played sheffield with guest vocalist from The Bellrays, my friend says they were fantastic and he saw them live back in the day:)

Khor1255

Reaction score
Cool. I am going to have to check them out if they come here.

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
MC5 (Motor City 5)

Our church's 'teen club,' which I belonged to wayyyy back, had what we called "street dances" to raise funds for our club's partying. MC5 was one of the bands we booked for one of the dances. Being a teen in Motown definitely had its advantages!
Motorcity is Burning

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Back in the USA is a favorite studio album here. I would have loved to have seen them live. Their political stances were what killed them in the end IMHO.

CREAM'd

Reaction score
It's been a while since I listened to their album. I used to watch this video quite a lot. Hard to beat!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online