Matchbox Twenty - Mad Season (2000)

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
picture.php

Mad Season, released in 2000, is the second album released by American rock band Matchbox Twenty. Their previous album, Yourself or Someone Like You had been a success 4 years prior to Mad Season's release, and singer Rob Thomas had also had some success through writing and singing on the smash hit Smooth for the band Santana in 1999.

With these past successes behind it, Mad Season showed some promise - which it delivered. The title track, Mad Season, and other singles Bent and If You're Gone achieved chart success off the album.

The album, overall, is a general mix of mellow tracks and rockier alternative rock songs. If You're Gone and another single off the album, Last Beautiful Girl are both very relaxing tunes that you can immerse yourself into, while songs like Bent, Crutch, Angry and Mad Season are much heavier tunes.

What makes this album work, however, is the way it gels together so well - it doesn't sound like a bunch of songs chucked together the way many albums do, yet it also doesn't all sound the same in the way other bands can do.

This remains, in my opinion, the greatest Matchbox Twenty album to date.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Matchbox Twenty ~ Mad Season

I really like Rob Thomas. He is a very gifted songwriter and musician. I have this album, and I like it very much. I also like Exile on Mainstream. :grinthumb

sco703

Reaction score

I love this album! Gotta be on my all-time favorite albums list. Even a regular album song like Rest Stop has an atmosphere about it that makes it memorable. Solid review and fantastic album! I do agree that it's their best. Can't wait for the new album which they're recording right now.

limpy

Penguin Power
Reaction score

I followed some on MatchBox 20's hits over the years! Rob Thomas is a great singer and I love listening to some of his solo songs. I'll keep an eye out! :D

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

My housemate and I have just been dancing around the living room and singing this at the top of our voices :grinthumb ........ probably their best known song.

Reaction score

My girlfriend LOVES this CD:heheh:

I remember always hearing Smooth when it first came out on the radio too.. I think I heard it a little too much:D

Great review as always, and a cool CD choice, Feldy:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online