1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matchbox Twenty - Mad Season (2000)

Discussion in 'Album Reviews' started by TheFeldster, Feb 6, 2010.

1. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

[​IMG]

Mad Season, released in 2000, is the second album released by American rock band Matchbox Twenty. Their previous album, Yourself or Someone Like You had been a success 4 years prior to Mad Season's release, and singer Rob Thomas had also had some success through writing and singing on the smash hit Smooth for the band Santana in 1999.

With these past successes behind it, Mad Season showed some promise - which it delivered. The title track, Mad Season, and other singles Bent and If You're Gone achieved chart success off the album.

The album, overall, is a general mix of mellow tracks and rockier alternative rock songs. If You're Gone and another single off the album, Last Beautiful Girl are both very relaxing tunes that you can immerse yourself into, while songs like Bent, Crutch, Angry and Mad Season are much heavier tunes.

What makes this album work, however, is the way it gels together so well - it doesn't sound like a bunch of songs chucked together the way many albums do, yet it also doesn't all sound the same in the way other bands can do.

This remains, in my opinion, the greatest Matchbox Twenty album to date.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

2. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

Re: Matchbox Twenty ~ Mad Season

I really like Rob Thomas. He is a very gifted songwriter and musician. I have this album, and I like it very much. I also like Exile on Mainstream. :grinthumb

3. sco703

sco703 Senior Member

I love this album! Gotta be on my all-time favorite albums list. Even a regular album song like Rest Stop has an atmosphere about it that makes it memorable. Solid review and fantastic album! I do agree that it's their best. Can't wait for the new album which they're recording right now.

4. limpy

limpy Penguin Power

I followed some on MatchBox 20's hits over the years! Rob Thomas is a great singer and I love listening to some of his solo songs. I'll keep an eye out! :D

5. Sunny

Sunny Settled down at last and very happy.

My housemate and I have just been dancing around the living room and singing this at the top of our voices :grinthumb ........ probably their best known song.

6. eberg15101

eberg15101 Senior Member

My girlfriend LOVES this CD:heheh:

I remember always hearing Smooth when it first came out on the radio too.. I think I heard it a little too much:D

Great review as always, and a cool CD choice, Feldy:grinthumb