Mastodon - Remission (2002)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Remission
Mastodonremission.jpg
Released May 28, 2002
Genre Heavy metal, Sludge metal

The Atlanta-based progressive sludge metal band Mastodon plays a very aggressive sludgey style, but that is also so complex that it nears prog rock. The jazzy drumming and clean guitar that go on for most of "Ol'e Nessie" is a Southern-sounding song that could be the Allmans if they beat people with the "Whipping Post" instead of just tying them to it.
Their homeland's influence is more subtle the rest of the way, but it's still there if you look beneath the sludgey Sabbath and Motorhead style riffs along with the technicality, helps make Mastodon stand out amongst a ton of other modern metal bands.

This is their most abrassive album they have released, but is just as strong as their other releases.

I can't pick my favorite track because I love the whole album.

This is one of the heaviest albums eve released IMO.

Here is a bit of info on why Mastodon named the album Remission.

In an interview with online magazine Lollipop in 2004, Dailor explained how Remission was an album that helped him cope with his sister's death -

"My sister committed suicide when I was 15 (she was 14)...I was never able to put that stuff anywhere. All that pain I was carrying inside. The pain of losing her had always been there. With Today Is The Day, there was a lot of anger involved. After that, I didn't want to be angry. When I start playing in Mastodon and moved to Atlanta, there was a big personal healing. Mastodon had a lot to do with that. That's one of the main reasons that the album is titled Remission. Remission means forgiveness and healing. Mastodon helped me do that: Forgive a lot of things that happened in my life."

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
Re: Mastodon - Remission

^^^A great review CN:grinthumb Remission is the only album from Mastodon's catalogue I don't have. Leviathan is fantastic, but Crack the Skye is an absolute onslaught of power and complexity, a brutal and beautiful concept album commixing so many different elements from other genres.

Listening to those four tracks wants me to go out bang some heads:ls:

Harkat

Reaction score

Thats a really good album, its on my 'to-get' list.
It does have a strong distinct sludge sound but it has an interesting fusion with jazz in it and prog, that makes it very delectable. great post! :grinthumb

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Yea it is one of my favorite albums. The Drumming is great like in every Mastodon album as well as the guitar playing. The bass playing is hard to hear because of the distortion and drumming, but Troy is a hell of a bassist.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Good review....I have seen them live but never dove into collecting their music but that's slowly changing. :grinthumb

My collection is too big, yet always room for more great bands. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

They seem to be a bit more on the catchier side. Bullhead's Psalm and The Sweetest Curse are cool cuts!!

sco703

Reaction score

LOVE MASTODON! Sorry for the bump. Anyways, Remission is a great album, but not my favorite of Mastodon's. I think that would have to go to Leviathan or Blood Mountain. What Remission does have is a brutal assault of drums and guitars. When listening to this album, even as a young band, you can tell that Mastodon has something that many other bands do not. The complexity in songs like Ol'e Nessie, and the buildup in Trainwreck all go to create an atmosphere that shows just how amazing the band really is. Great review by the way!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Bump away I say! None of these vids were working so I replaced them all in the OP's correct order so those that haven't seen the thread yet can enjoy it as originally intended!! Rock On!! :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Such an incredible album. Very nice review as well CN.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Members online