Mastodon (Official Thread)

heavymetaljim

Reaction score
I've seen them live in a festival - best band there and I also saw System of a down, Linkin Park, Paradise Lost and more. These guys are the new Deep Purple (meaning great freaking performers - the style as nothing to do of course). Best musicians live

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1712092310397.jpeg

Very good album. Energetic and full of emotion. Lots of sludgy hooks. However, I feel it’s over bloated coming in at just about 90 minutes. 9/10

My picks…

Skeleton of Splendor

Eyes of Serpents

Full album

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
I tried to get into them a few years back but had too much of that metal sound for me though I did like some tracks.
Here's a Prog Archives link....which lists them as Tech/extreme prog metal. It rates Crack The Skye (2009) as their best one. Prog metal for sure but Im not sure about the 'tech extreme part'.
I thought the songs above were ok for prog metal area.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the link @dr wu .

Yeah, Mastodon is hit n miss for me. I like the gentle side of their music. I don’t mind the grungy sludge, either, as long as the vocals stay clean & crisp. They can be extreme, but I am like you, not so sure it is a technical extreme.

I’m going to have to go over to the archives and look up some more prog metal. The reviews over there seem to be pretty accurate.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online