Mary Hopkin

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
A Place to discuss Mary Hopkin,share photos,favorite songs!!

1176782192.pjpeg

Her debut single, "Those Were the Days", produced by Paul McCartney, was released in the UK on 30 August 1968. Despite competition from a well-established star, Sandie Shaw, who released her version of the same song as a single that same year; Hopkin's version became a number one hit in the UK Singles Chart, and reached Number 2 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.

787P81_maryhopkin.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Cracking stuff takes me back to being a toddler "Those Were The Days" was on the radio for years. She had a fabulous voice.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
"Those were the days" was also the song to bump "Hey Jude" off the number 1 spot! :D

Her later material has a more folky approach to it and she's even done some Ralph McTell. In a sesne I think the folk was always there in her, though initally with songs like "Those Were The Days" and "Goodbye", they seem to have a more Pop beat about them.

Another couple of songs I like from Mary Hopkin is "Temma Harbour" and "Think about your Children"

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think the last song you posted is the best and really shows what a great tone she has in her voice. Very sweet and soothing. I'm hoping it'll keep going like this throughout the threads because the other stuff was actually too poppy for me honestly. :D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
:heheh:

Yeah every artist has those one or two "really big ones" that seem to overshadow other work.

Just got those first two out of the way.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online