Marc Bolan: The National Elf

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
They don’t make pop stars like Marc Bolan any more. For about 18 months he was the most famous man in Britain. Everybody loved him. He was the National Elf.

In fact, “they” didn’t make Marc Bolan, either. Marc Bolan made Marc Bolan. He was Britain’s first entirely self-invented pop star. He prepared for fame from the day he was born. Once he found it, debates raged about how “real” he was. In fact Marc Bolan was just as real as any work of art. But in his case, he was the work of art.

A new DVD, Born To Boogie, documents his finest hour: T. Rex’s triumphant 1972 concert at the Empire Pool, Wembley. Aptly the original film was made by Ringo Starr. There was a feeling back then, after The Beatles’ abdication, that pop was looking at an empty throne. And along came this miniscule Cockney chancer to fill it. A small chap who told tall tales, he seized his moment and gloried in his success. The press called it “T. Rextasy”. And life for Bolan was sweet.

Alas, it was not the dawn of a new era. Wembley was Bolan’s peak. There was Bad Stuff just around the corner, and lashings of it. We shall hear tales of opportunist gay sex, of uncontrolled ego, of jealousy, betrayal and the Devil’s Dandruff. There will be a most unhappy ending. But let’s not forget to celebrate this strange man’s brilliance. He was unique, funny and made the greatest pop of his day. His art came out of his own curly head; it was not constructed in marketing meetings. He won the nation’s heart by casting a spell over the land, not by getting a lazy population to push a button on its TV remote. The Marc Bolan story won’t happen again.

Keep reading...

This is a REALLY long and informative article about Marc Bolan's career and personal life. It's a fabulous read for fans and newcomers to his music alike.

Though I deeply wish I could time travel and pick up where June left off. Marc was kind of a sad case, below all the glitz, money, and fame.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Im up for this thread Ladyislingering ! Please carry on......carry on !!
I guess you start at the beginning....Mr Mark Feld and pre= Johns Children .The guy was a genius...:bow:
National Elf ?...:heheh: Ok I know Marc was a short guy ...but proved to be a GIANT in the rockscene :grinthumb

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Just click "keep reading" (there's a click-through link) for more. It's a fascinating article.

When I learned that Marc was so very small (perhaps no taller than I, and I stand at 5'4") it absolutely delighted me. You always see pictures of him with obnoxious platform shoes when he's posed next to anyone else; when he was on-stage with Mickey and others it seems the camera would always be angled to even the height out a little bit (so I'm noticing now).

Apart from that the article details much of his life (I wonder if a book's ever been written about his life?). His struggles, his dreams, his successes, his issues. I thoroughly feel his life was very kind to him as long as June (his wife) was by his side; it's a shame he got into drugs and decided to have an affair with Gloria Jones, but she seemed to have made him happy (but he was so much safer with June...).

You're lucky to live (perhaps) within a relatively close proximity to the "Bolan tree". I hope to visit the area sometime in my life, to feel the atmosphere.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Y'know as a kid my big 'bruvva' took me to see his first band Tyrannosaurus Rex with Steve Perriguine Took(most of it went over my head in'68)...then Tony Visconti aided and abetted Bolan-shortened it to T. Rex... gave him his own logo label and he was the first in power pop.
When young in Hertfordshire... he opened the taxi door after the concert for Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent (and the rest was history in that tragic respect).. popularity for him in 1976 was on the slide, but ITV gave him a TV show at an early evening slot called Marc. This was an ideal platform in early 1977 for fledgling punk bands to be seen. He cut his hair very short, after a show he and his wife Gloria Jones(had the original hit with Tainted Love.) he was travelling home in his Mini 1275 GT (with a 666 number in the registration!)... lost control and perished after hitting a tree. Scarily a week later Keith Harwood who had been up all - night mixing Love You Live for the Rolling stones, fatigued... fell asleep at the wheel and died in the very same place!
(tribute is on the live album sleeve.)
This cracker from 1970.
Ride A White Swan.

Mr Mojo Risin

Cactus Brew Drinker
Reaction score
Marc was a real manhandler when it came to playing guitar, funny how he started out playing more 'hippie' music. Like playing a guitar with a broken chair leg, that was nutty. It's also extremely tragic that he died so close to home as well.

Ironic how he died considering that I think he never learned to drive because he was afraid of something like this happening? I recall reading about that somewhere, not sure about the legitimacy. @Nai Noswad

37q2qvtyud4Rgd8ykH5fs5-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.