Manassas (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
Here's a double vinyl I haven't listened to in some time and it's fantastic. A "lost classic."

Manassas was formed in 1971 by Stephen Stills after CSN&Y which included Chris Hillman(The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers), and others from CSN, Blues Image, and The Burritos which was suppossed to be a Stills' solo album. In fact the musicians chemistry was so strong that the group became an "official" band and relesed thier s/t title debut in 1972.

Each side of the double LP is dedicated to a certain topic and musical styles. Side 1(The Raven) is basically straight ahead rock with latin tinges as side two(The Wilderness) is country rock with bluegrass passages. On side 3(Consider) is folk rock and the flip side("Rock 'N' Roll Is Here To Stay") is rock, blues-rock and the blues dedicated to fallen musicians like Duanne Allman, Jimi Hendrix, and Al Wilson(Canned Heat).

The band would release a follow up album the next year but flopped commercially and wasn't nearly as brilliant as the debut and the band broke apart with Stills' releasing a few more solo albums before reforming CSN in 1977.

000c3202_medium.jpeg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Manassas-Manassas

When I saw the title I first thought of the "Battle of Manassas" Joe...:D

That is a lot of talent in one group for sure, I don't think I've ever seen that album let alone listened to any of the songs before now.

You are like the "Indiana Jones" of rare music in here, you are constantly lobbing unheard of bands for us to check out.(I know before Magic tells me I need to get out of my cave more often...:lmao:)

joe

Reaction score

This album showcases Stills' and Hillman's musical diversities. Stills doesn't get the recognition he deserves. I couldn't find any studio vids from the album and I didn't feel like going through all those steps to produce a vid to download for the thread.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

No problem Joe, I'll look around and see what I can find.:D

The only member of CSN&Y I ever really followed was Neil Young. Graham Nash I knew about when he was with the Hollies. I have seen numerous Stills and Crosby solo and collaboration recordings over the years but it just never dawned on me to pick them up.

Still another rare archeological find you've dug up from the past for us.:hab:

joe

Reaction score

I think that's the case with most people LG. Young had the most succcessful career of the four from CSN&Y by far. Can't forget this tune from Stills:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That is a great song...in fact I think I'll play some CSN&Y right now to start the day.

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

I remember Manassas well. "It Doesn't Matter" is probably my favorite off of the album."Rock and Roll Crazies" is also very good. Back in those days the spin off bands weren't always the most popular but I think they had strong followings by dedicated folks.

The Raven
"Song of Love" – 3:28
Medley – 3:34
"Rock & Roll Crazies" (Stephen Stills, Dallas Taylor)
"Cuban Bluegrass" (Stephen Stills, Joe Lala)
"Jet Set (Sigh)" – 4:25
"Anyway" – 3:21
"Both of Us (Bound to Lose)" (Stephen Stills, Chris Hillman) – 3:00

The Wilderness
"Fallen Eagle" – 2:03
"Jesus Gave Love Away for Free" – 2:59
"Colorado" – 2:50
"So Begins the Task" – 3:57
"Hide It So Deep" – 2:44
"Don't Look at My Shadow" – 2:30

Consider
"It Doesn't Matter" (Chris Hillman, Rick Roberts, Stephen Stills) – 2:30
Note: Original releases of Manassas do not credit Roberts as a co-author.
"Johnny's Garden" – 2:45
"Bound to Fall" (Mike Brewer, Tom Mastin) – 1:53
Note: Original releases of Manassas do not credit Mastin as a co-author.
"How Far" – 2:49
"Move Around" – 4:15
"The Love Gangster" (Stephen Stills, Bill Wyman) – 2:51

Rock & Roll is Here to Stay
"What to Do" – 4:44
"Right Now" – 2:58
"The Treasure (Take One)" – 8:03
"Blues Man" – 4:04
In tribute: Jimi Hendrix, Al Wilson, Duane Allman.

Not from this album but from the album Pieces but a good song/album IMO.

[GROOVESHARK]25016354[/GROOVESHARK]

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score

^^^Good to see someone else recognise the band.:cheers2

Thanx for the track listings Truckin'.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I got to see Manassas live when I was a student at SIU in Carbondale, though at that time I viewed it as a consolation concert - I really wanted to see CSNY, but they'd "disbanded" at that point. Manassas was good, but I couldn't help but be disappointed a little because of who they weren't.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online