Make The White Album A Single Album

Vocalion

Reaction score
Many have suggested (George Martin included) that the exalted White Album could have been so much better had it been pared down a bit, and not made into such a vanity project for the individual members (I'm paraphrasing a bit on that last point).

I tend to agree with that, though the album has of course developed a reputation built at least in part by the very idiosyncratic nature of the song list. If you were George Martin then, and had free reign to cut the song list down to a more conventional 14 songs, which ones would make the cut? I know many will say " Oh no, I couldn't, it's perfect as is." Well......try. For me, in sequential order as they appear on the album:

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
I Will
Julia
Birthday
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Back In The USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Birthday
Yer Blues
Everybody's Got Something To Hide
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Cry Baby Cry

Arkie

Reaction score
Many have suggested (George Martin included) that the exalted White Album could have been so much better had it been pared down a bit, and not made into such a vanity project for the individual members (I'm paraphrasing a bit on that last point).

I tend to agree with that, though the album has of course developed a reputation built at least in part by the very idiosyncratic nature of the song list. If you were George Martin then, and had free reign to cut the song list down to a more conventional 14 songs, which ones would make the cut? I know many will say " Oh no, I couldn't, it's perfect as is." Well......try. For me, in sequential order as they appear on the album:

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
I Will
Julia
Birthday
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter

Arkie

Reaction score
It is pwerfect the way it is. Wtf in '68 when this came out, no no one ever wanted to change it! Until now - the Millennial age. My suggestion - make your own Beatles " My White Album" mix and begone with the sniveling.

Vocalion

Reaction score
It is pwerfect the way it is. Wtf in '68 when this came out, no no one ever wanted to change it! Until now - the Millennial age. My suggestion - make your own Beatles " My White Album" mix and begone with the sniveling.

First, I'm no millenial. Second, kiss my ass.

Arkie

Reaction score
1st, i never said you were millennial, sorry if you thought that way. lol
2nd, kiss your own ass, im sure you have the agility for such a task.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Back on topic....

I have said it for 25-30 years that the White Album was vastly overrated. Not because it isn't any good, but rather BECAUSE there is so much garbage on it. If they had taken the best 15 tracks and dumped the other 15, it would have lived up to the hype it has received over the years. For my money, the good stuff on that album was really good and the bad stuff was REALLY bad!

The amount of ego that went into putting utter trash out at the time tells a LOT of the mentality of the Beatles at that point in their career.

Just my thoughts on the topic

upload_2018-11-17_19-11-45.png

Vocalion

Reaction score
Back on topic....

I have said it for 25-30 years that the White Album was vastly overrated. Not because it isn't any good, but rather BECAUSE there is so much garbage on it. If they had taken the best 15 tracks and dumped the other 15, it would have lived up to the hype it has received over the years. For my money, the good stuff on that album was really good and the bad stuff was REALLY bad!

The amount of ego that went into putting utter trash out at the time tells a LOT of the mentality of the Beatles at that point in their career.

Just my thoughts on the topic

View attachment 31250

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

First, I'm no millenial. Second, kiss my ass.
Both of you keep it civilised please.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.