Register to remove these ads

Major League Baseball 2015

Discussion in 'Sports of all sorts' started by Metal Health, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Metal Health

Metal Health Senior Member

:grinthumb

I wish the Red Sox could make the playoffs but that's not going to happen. All the teams I like are really struggling this year.:wa

2. JimJam

JimJam Senior Member

I personally enjoy seeing the Red Sox as cellar dwellers in the AL East. Those are my New York roots speaking. :grinthumb

3. Metal Health

:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad

4. TMG

TMG Titus Maximus Headphonius

[​IMG]

Quite a night - first up, watching Pearl Jam being beyond all awesomeness in Central Park, confirmed again for me as still maybe the most consistently jaw-dropping live band I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot – and then I get home around midnight and find out that the Mets have done it.

After a 9-year wait, the New York Mets are returning to the MLB post-season, and in some style too, Mets are going to finish the regular season with probably close to 95 wins.

Okay, now we need the Dodgers to lose a few games this week so the Mets can get home-field advantage in the post-season, so come on Metal Health, we need your San Fran Giants to own those Dodgers when you play them over the next few days!!

Though actually my main thought on the Mets today is this - is there any serious sports fan anywhere who isn’t totally thrilled for Mets captain David Wright? – by all accounts he’s the nicest guy in pro-sports, and for sure he’s one of the best players in the modern era never to have won a World Series.

Well, now he finally has his big chance with this excellent 2015 New York Mets team. In terms of redemption stories, I can’t believe David Wright’s. He came back from potentially career ending spinal stenosis, how amazing it is that he has come back to lead his team into the playoffs.

I really love this team. I hope they go very far this October, and nobody is going to want to face them - though JimJam is right, no predictions!!

But this Mets team you can sense is special. They’re much more than a typical division winner, all season this supremely resilient team fought against the odds, wrecked with injuries early on, and a long period when they couldn't even score a run, never mind win a game.

5. Metal Health

I just started Beat The Streak on MLB.com. I like that a lot more and I need something because I missed the playoffs for my fantasy league.

6. JimJam

JimJam Senior Member

Home field is an even bigger deal here than usual. The Dodgers are 52-26 at home and 35-42 on the road.

7. TMG

Yeah Jim, though the Mets having home-field advantage in the National League Divisional Series is now more or less a lock.

In fact the Dodgers really are limping into the post-season, and are playing terribly just at the wrong time, they've lost 8 of their last 10 games and they seem to be almost choking, which could be good news for the Mets, in fact if the Giants can take all 4 games against LA this week, then LA's lead will be down to just 2 games going into the final weekend, though the Dodgers probably just about have enough of a lead over the Giants to hang on no matter what happens, but this is a far from impressive finale to the season by LA.

So, sorry Metal Health, looks like me saying that the Giants season is basically over was extremely premature!

But the San Francisco Giants are actually a mystery and an enigma, assuming that they don't quite make it, their last 6 season will have been ...

2010 Won the World Series
    2011 Missed the playoffs
    2012 Won the World Series
    2013 Missed the playoffs
    2014 Won the World Series
    2015 Missed the playoffs

So it's pretty obvious what's going to happen next year, right?!!

But the Mets won't be fazed at all by playing in LA, JimJam, in fact one of the most amazing stats about the Mets right now is that they are virtually unbeatable on the road, the Mets have only lost 5 times on the road since the beginning of August, they've played 29 road games since August 3rd, and have won 24 of them, they've even 'swept' teams in their own ballparks 6 times during that stretch, so even having home-field advantage against the Mets right now counts for nothing, in fact teams are actually having more success playing against them here in New York...Mets look like a team who are at their best when their backs are against the wall, so I'm not sure that home-field is even going to help them right now, though having said that the Mets home-field record this year has been one of the best in the league.

This American League wild-card chase is really heating up, and the Yankees are suddenly looking like they could even miss out on the post-season entirely, though it's unlikely, but the Red Sox and Orioles could really make things difficult for the NYY this week in these last 6 games against them, plus the L A Angels are on an absolute tear and they're winning virtually every night, so there's 4 teams all still in with a great chance, Yankees, Angels, Astros, and Twins, and I can see this battle for the two AL wild-card-game slots going right down to the wire next Sunday.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  8. JimJam

JimJam Senior Member

The Astros are hanging onto the second AL wild card spot by a thread, only one game up on the Angels and... Twins? Didn't see them in the picture. That's about the only postseason spot with a question mark, other than home field for the division leaders.

9. Jet

Jet Midway Up The Ceiling

10. TMG

Technically speaking Jet, almost there.....but not quite yet!

Game #163 sudden-death play off with the Pirates to decide who represents the NL as the wild-card team in the Division Series against the Cardinals, though it's still an achievement getting this far, but still a bit too early to celebrate anything yet, though I am rooting for the Cubs to do well, be great to have a Mets vs Cubs 7-game series for the NL Championship pennant, though if I'm being honest to me it's much more likely that it will be St Louis Cardinals vs Los Angeles Dodgers, who are clearly the two best teams in the league.

Be great to see the Astros do it, Jim, especially with their relatively tiny payroll and the fact everyone back in the spring was predicting they would lose 100+ games, this fight for the second wild-card in the AL couldn't be tighter, final weekend and there's only a game separating the Astros and Angels, the Twins are 2 back and effectively eliminated....going to be some tense baseball over the next 48 hours.

I was meant to be at the Mets game last night at CitiField, but it got rained off, so they are now playing a double-header later today, which I'm not bothering with as I don't have the mental capacity or physical fortitude to sit through 7+ hours of baseball, in the cold and the rain, so I've given my ticket to a friend and am going to watch it all on TV instead, with a pot of tea and some chilli that my wife made last night!!

Pity as I would love to be there as they will run the NL Division Champs banner up the pole, but I have my limits!!