Reaction score
FRANK MARINO & MAHOGANY RUSH

m-rush-narrow.jpg

earlyband.gif

Mahogany Rush & Frank Marino Website
Mahogany Rush on Wikipedia

Formed 1970, Montreal, QC, Canada

Band members :
Members Frank Marino (guitar, vocals), Jimmy Ayoub (drums, 1970-82), Paul Harwood (bass, 1970-86), Vince Marino (guitar, 1980-93), Tim Biery (drums, 1982-93), Peter Dowse (bass, 1986-2006), Mick Layne (guitar, 2001-present), Dave Goode (drums, 2001), Josh Trager (drums, 2004-05), Remi-Jean LeBlanc (bass, 2006-present), Avi Ludmer (guitar, violin, 2005-present)

Discography :

1973 Maxoom
1974 Child of the Novelty
1975 Strange Universe
1976 IV
1977 Live
1977 World Anthem
1979 Tales of the Unexpected
1980 What's Next
1988 Double Live
2001 Eye of the Storm
2004 Real Live!

Solo Discography:

1981 The Power of Rock 'n' Roll
1982 Juggernaut
1986 Full Circle
1990 From the Hip

There is a legend concerning Frank that is much like the legend of Robert Johnson in many respects, but
instead of the devil, a contract signed in blood, and a cross in the road, Franks legend consists of a strong acid trip,
a subsequent stay at a mental institute, and the soul of Jimi Hendrix coming to a 16 year old Frank and taking up residency
in Franks mortal shell. Frank was released soon afterward, or so the story goes, and turned from budding teen guitarist into an extremely talented guitar player almost overnight. And while Frank himself denies that he ever believed himself to be Jimi's "re-incarnation by way of possession" there does seem to be some evidence of his stay at a mental institute, his amazing overnight rise to technical proficiency, and his obsession with Jimi..

Frank seems to be mostly written off these days as a Jimi Hendrix imitator but the fact that his first three albums were written, produced, and played by a 17, 18 and 19 year old kid respectfully are beyond amazing. The maturity and depth of both the playing and song writing is outstanding, especially for someone so young. There is no denying that the first albums do sound an awful lot like Mr. Hendrix's work and it was obviously the blue print from which Frank sprang. Having just stated the obvious I want to expand upon that thought with this..IMO the first three albums would be among Jimi's best albums if they actually WERE Jimi Hendrix albums and they have taken the next step into a heavier, more psychedelic and a slightly more complexed sonic universe.(The proceeding write up is intended to be my personal opinion and my personal opinion only. No disrespect intended toward Jimi or his many rapid purest fans..in others words, don't get your panties in a wad :heheh:)

With that I will let Franks work speak for itself beginning with Mahogany Rush's amazing debut

Maxoom: starts out with a musical space out that seems to allude to Franks alleged acid trip in which Jimi appeared to him
asking him to help him continue on playing his music: Jimi " Hey Man !!! Frank" Whhaaat's going on !?!?!?! " Jimi: "It's me ,Frank" "Help me" "Help me" ......

The rest of the spoken words become inaudible, it is followed by a mellow Jimi like number entitled Buddy that is clearly an ode to Jimi and what he meant to Frank. I have picked out the songs that are personal stand outs for me.

996722.jpg

MP edit: Video removed by youtube user: Could not get title

Again, this whole album was written, arranged, produced and all guitars were played by a 17 year old kid. :omg:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice thread Wolf,,,I'll be back tomorrow to check it more thoroughly.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Great thread DKW, and a top OP. I can't believe he was only 17 and knocking gear like this out. Whatever his influence he had an amazing talent. I'll be following this one DK, see what I can pick up.:cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yes great thread!!! We needed one for him for sure.

A true legend!!

Here's a little California Jam and Purple Haze :grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I have all of his solo stuff and most of his Mohagany Rush LP's.. I can only add very little since I used to listen to him years ago with IV being the first I picked up.. Dragonfly and I'm going Away are favorite off that one but the whole album rocks..
Juggernaut and Live are now more to my liking.. He did a great cover of Voodoo Chile.
True talent that goes un noticed for the most part.. I don't think I've ever heard any of his songs ever played on the radio.. But it's been years since I listened to that stuff..

Here's some footage of him in concert in Montreal 2001~~

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
Way to go Wolf.:grinthumb Fantastic. Mahogany Rush was fairly big here in Canada in the mid/late 70's as there was some of us who got into his 70's recordings in the early 80's. 'Strange Universe' is a lost classic. Looking forward to your review on the album.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Nice to see some interest in this band. I really like a lot of their albums despite what the critics have to say about them, and I agree ,Sox. An amazing and often overlooked talent.

@ Joe, Strange Universe is awesome :grinthumb Not great at "reviews" but will
definitely be getting around to it right soon, right after Child of the Novelty ..another smoker ,IMO.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
mahogany_rush_one_front.jpg

CHILD OF THE NOVELTY

Frank's second album with his power trio MAHOGANY RUSH .This one moves away from
the Jimi Hendrix sound a little in the sense that it is heavier then anything Jimi ever did, more
proto metal in flavor, and it is also a bit more overtly trippy. My personal favorite is either this one or
Strange Universe, I jump back and forth on which I prefer.
I will let you decide for yourselves whether or not Franks musical vision has merit, as
I am not much for reviews. The first video is a combo.. "Look outside" "Thru the Milky Way" "Talkin` Bout a Feelin`...
the second vid.. "A New Rock and Roll"... The third video is a freakout called "Guit War" followed by "Child of the Novelty"
and last but not least is "Plastic Man"..this album was written, arranged, co produced and all guitars played by a then 18
year old Frank Marino.

//

//

Great album, IMO. :grinthumb

Last edited:

rtbuck

Reaction score
I became a fan of Frank Marino after a friend played me "Purple Haze" from the 'Live' record in the late 70's. I really enjoy all of his album but my favorites are the Live one, What's Next, & The power of Rock & Roll. It may sound weird but the one thing I really liked was at Cal Jam II. It's not on the Cal Jam II record but they played the concert on the King Biscuit Flower Hour back then & I recorded it (It since then is in Tape Heaven with a bunch of other chewed up cassettes). At the end of Purple Haze he went into the Theme from the Mickey Mouse Club & it was amazing!!!!

I seen him open for Kansas & even though he looked Pissed & only played 2 songs in 20 minutes he was awesome! I then seen him around 1990 with Ronnie Montrose opening in a club in Buffalo .

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Welcome to the party Buck :grinthumb

I saw him a few years back at a small club as Frank Marino.
Personally, I like the early stuff best..wish I could have seen him live in his Mahogany Rush days.
I am in no way complaining, just saying ...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Members online