Lynyrd Skynyrd (Official Thread)

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Lynyrd Skynyrd have postponed this weekend’s stops on their Last of the Street Survivors Farewell Tour so that founding member Gary Rossington can recover from a recent heart procedure. The 67-year-old guitarist had been experiencing fatigue, according to a press release, and underwent surgery to fix a leaky heart valve on July 31st.

I've lost count of how many heart surgeries Gary has had in recent years, but thankfully he always seems to get back on his feet and doing relatively well, so he must have a good team around him.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Found this CD yesterday in going through a bunch of older CDs that I haven't' touched in about 15-20 years.

Skynyrd Frynds

A "various artists" tribute/cover album by a bunch of country performers that were hot at that time (1994).

R-1895164-1285578134.jpeg.jpg

The entire album isn't great, but overall it's pretty decent. I like a LOT of the stuff that Alabama has done over the years but their version of Sweet Home Alabama was pretty goofy. It sounds about like 90% Alabama and maybe 10% Skynyrd. Not bad, but not great. Some lyrical changes as well that weren't necessary.

Travis Tritt did a cover of "Don't Ask Me No Questions", which I enjoyed. Then again, I happened to like just about everything Tritt did in the 90's. This might be my favorite track on the album

There are only 10 songs. The finale is Wynonna's remake of Free Bird which is a jumbled fuggin' mess. The first half of the song, it sounds nothing like Free Bird. The buildup and outro instumental is weird as hell. It has a taste of some 80's metal sweep picking along with pop and country over/undertones. It's just weird.

Anyway, it was fun to listen to again. I had to rip it so I have a portable copy again. Will have to give it a listen with headphones on later this week and see if my thoughts change much.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I don't know if it's already been mentioned in any of the 16 pages of posts or not (though it probably has), but the band officially recorded the live track "Travelin' Man" in the studio in 1997.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
@Sharp Dressed Man

Check out this lineup:

82148022_10156709344395069_8842632527618244608_n.jpg

E-Z

Reaction score
I managed to stumble across a sealed unopened mint copy of Lynyrd Skynyrd's x3 cds box set released on MCA back in 1991 costing £10 in a London west end independent record shop a few days ago. I originally had the same x3 cds box set back around 1999/2000 anyway I haven't seen this 'Skynyrd' box set for a long time and thought it was possibly deleted some years ago?.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliverevans

Members online