Low

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
LOW
720x405-Screen-Shot-2015-09-11-at-8.13.07-AM.jpg

LOW is a band that's new to me but is likely not new to a a fair amount of people considering they've been making albums since '94 which total 11 studio releases. Robert Plant has even been listed as a fan which may be surprising since the first track that gripped me, "No Comprende" is more akin to Trent Reznor fronting a Post Rock band than any Blues Rock inspired band. The little touches to that track make it come more alive than some downtempo Post Rock I've listened to and it lead me to the 2015 album release "Ones and Sixes". The album is no one trick pony and I love it. It has some amazing shades and layers, both dark and light. I had no idea they had such an alluring angelic presence w/ vocalist/drummer Mimi Parker and straight dreamy Pop on some tracks. It's a great mix and "new" band for me and you to explore! :grinthumb

Featured Album: Ones and Sixes
SPCD1144_large.jpg

Standout Tracks
(No Comprende, Lies and Gentle)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Soot you read me like a book ! The track "No comprende " is quality stuff....especially the dark moody sounds towards the end. The other songs are good too. Thanks for the introduction.....I didn't realise they have been around for somewhile.

Mistral Wind

Reaction score
Oh! It surprises me that there wasn't a thread about "Low", till now...
I thought they were pretty famous...
I listened to their first album, some months ago; and I liked it a lot!
Now, I've recently listened to some of their new songs and, well, it would seem that, after so many years, they still sound good.

Moonflower

Banned
Reaction score
I was privileged to see Low a few months ago - they were fantastic live!! Their songs sounded exactly like they do on the album. Beautiful harmonies and catchy guitar riffs. Amazing sound for only 3 band members. They mostly performed songs from their latest album, Ones And Sixes, but they really surprised me when they included an old favorite Low song of mine called 'Monkey' from their album The Great Destroyer.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Interesting band. I have to admit that the male vocals are perhaps a bit too indie for my taste, but the female vocalist is great and I do enjoy the harmony between the two. I love the dark atmosphere in some of these songs. I definitely need to listen to a full album.

Moonflower

Banned
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the male singer/guitarist (Alan Sparhawk) and the female singer/drummer (Mimi Parker) are married. They also have a bass player/keyboardist in the band as well. But that's it - 3 musicians making all of that fantastic music.

I would recommend starting with their latest release, Ones And Sixes. There are loads of melodic gems on that album.

Speaking of beautiful harmonies, I was just listening to another Low album last night: The Invisible Way. Here's a favorite song from that album:

Low - Amethyst

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online