Loving DARLENE LOVE :) (Official Thread)

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I'm a Darlene Love fan. Going to see her in September for her new album release show at the Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park. Here is some info on her new album 'Introducing Darlene Love'.

Darlene Love and Little Steven set an Asbury Park date

Love will rule Asbury Park this September.

Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Darlene Love will play the city's Paramount Theatre on September 12 accompanied by Steven Van Zandt. The two have collaborated on a new Love album called "Introducing Darlene Love," which will be released this fall on Van Zandt's Wicked Cool label and distributed by Columbia Records.

The band at the Paramount will be composed of the musicians who played on "Introducing Darlene Love." The Monmouth County Symphony and the Glory to God Singers will also perform.

Tickets, $67 to $247, go on sale noon Friday, July 3 through Ticketmaster.com and the Stone Pony box office, open noon to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through Sundays and during shows.

VIP and Gold Circle seating includes facetime with Love and Van Zandt and a gift bag that includes a CD and signed memorabilia from the artists. Partial proceeds from the show will benefit the Asbury Park Music Lives Foundation to fund the Lake House Music Academy/Hope Academy Music Scholarships.

"Introducing Darlene Love" will feature songs written by Van Zandt, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Jim Webb, Linda Perry, Desmond Child, Joan Jett, and Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil.

"(The album is) something that Steve and I have talked about for years and it was never the right time or he didn't have the time," said Love previously to the Asbury Park Press. "Finally, Steve said there's not going to be a right time so let's just do it now."

"He knows me and only one other knew how to record me and that was Phil Spector. Steve knows how to record me and he knows what my voice will sound good on."

Love's previous hits include "He's A Rebel," "The Boy I'm Gonna Marry," "Wait 'Til My Bobby Gets Home," "He's Sure the Boy I Love" and "Christmas Baby Please Come Home."

LINK: Darlene Love and Little Steven set an Asbury Park date

Audio for the song 'Forbidden Nights'.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Here's some info on the video shoot for 'Forbidden Nights' that should be out tomorrow on YouTube (just audio is in post above).

DARLENE LOVE SHOOTS FORBIDDEN NIGHTS VIDEO IN ASBURY PARK
FEATURES APPEARANCE BY JOAN JETT AND PAUL SHAFFER

Rock in Roll Hall of Famer Darlene Love’s day shooting a music video in Asbury Park started at 7:30 a.m. and at time of press there were no signs of it ending.

Her first Facebook post of the day read, “Good morning! What a gorgeous day to shoot my “Forbidden Nights” music video that Elvis Costello wrote for my album.”

The album, “Introducing, Darlene Love,” is scheduled for release in September and will be showcased during the September 12 concert with Steven Van Zandt at the Paramount Theatre.

The open call she put out for extras to take part in the video shoot was met by hundreds. But as production would have it the 3 p.m. call time was stalled. Many rolled with it, some left and returned.

In the meantime, fellow Hall of Famer Joan Jett and band leader Paul Shaffer had arrived. The two would take part in the video shoot that included Love driving a cherry red convertible throughout Asbury Park.

Shaffer and Jett are among the hitchhikers she picks up on the way before heading to beach dance party.

When Love drove the little red 1961 Cadillac down the boardwalk near 7 p.m. the waning crowd seemed to instantly double size.

Just prior to the boardwalk shoot and during a quick bite to eat at Langosta Lounge, Love said she chose Asbury Park because of the special meaning it holds.

“This is such a great place for me because they took me in, they adopted me in New Jersey. I was born here,” she said metaphorically speaking.

In fact, Love was born in California and lived part of her childhood in Texas as her father pursued his ministry calling. Her career began as a backup singer for some of Phil Spector’s signature talents but she reached national acclaim in the 1960s with her No 1 hit “He’s a Rebel.”

Today she credits Steven Van Zandt and Bruce Springsteen with helping to pave the way for her 1980s resurgence.

“I started my solo career at 40 but then I didn’t know what to do,” Love said. “I did a show in L.A. and [Springsteen and Van Zandt] were two of the people in the audience.

“They asked me to come to New York, and I said, ‘and do what,” she recalled. “I don’t know anybody in New York but that was the beginning of me changing gears.”

Love, who turned 74 on Sunday, said it was the best decision she could have made.

“I was known here and I didn’t know that,” Love said. “I didn’t know I had a fan base because in those early years I never worked here as Darlene Love. I came here as a back singer behind Dionne [Warrick], behind Tom Jones, the Righteous Brothers. But then to come here 40 years later to start my music career all over again was a little scary. But I had God and I had a lot of help from a lot of friends.”

“It’s called blind faith,” she said.

“See that gentleman right there,” she said pointing at nearby table where Joan Jett ate her lunch. “I’ve known him since I was 15.”

She was referring to Kenny Laguna, the songwriter/producer best known for his work with Jett.

Love said the video will also feature guest selfies from a host of the industry’s recognizable talents.

PICTURES IN LINK: http://asburyparksun...in-asbury-park/

11698519_1043104182381289_8302850675625718479_n.jpg

JimJam

Reaction score
I loved Darlene's annual performance of "Christmas Baby Please Come Home" on the Letterman show, which is now a thing of the past with Letterman's retirement.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Listen to Darlene's new CD here! >>> First Listen: Darlene Love, 'Introducing Darlene Love' : NPR

Track Listings
1. Among The Believers (Stevie Van Zandt)
2. Forbidden Nights (Elvis Costello)
3. Love Kept Us Foolin Around (Linda Perry)
4. Little Liar (Desmond Child/Joan Jett)
5. Still Too Soon To Know (Elvis Costello)
6. Who Under Heaven (Jimmy Webb)
7. Night Closing In (Bruce Springsteen)
8. Painkiller (Michael Des Barres/Paul Ill)
9. Just Another Lonely Mile (Bruce Springsteen)
10. Last Time (Stevie Van Zandt)
11. River Deep, Mountain High (Phil Spector/Jeff Barry/Ellie Greenwich)
12. Sweet Freedom (Barry Mann/Cynthia Weil)
13. Marvelous (Walter Hawkins)
14. Jesus Is The Rock (That Keeps Me Rollin) (Stevie Van Zandt)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online