Loving DARLENE LOVE :) (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Loving DARLENE LOVE :)

I think so...I mean I know who she is and I like her music...but the thread kind of put it all in a different light...more like...OH YEAH!!! :heheh: :grinthumb

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Well I just hate people thinking she just a backup singer..she has an amazing voice and should AT least get some respect for her years in the music business

heres one more of her hits..used in another soundtrack

Father Of The Bride:

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I will give my admiration for Darlene Love, she does have a powerful singing voice. I wont mention my feelings about the RR HoF nomination :)

When a superstar wants a fantastic back-up, Darlene fits the bill. However, she never had much success solo, except with her christmas efforts.

Her most successful single of 1963 was "Wait 'til My Bobby Gets Home". This and 2 other charting singles of the same year, made Darlene a pop sensation although she didn't write these songs, they were written by Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry

Then she reunited with Spector in 1977 and put out another single "Lord if Your a Woman". Which IMHO wasn't up to par with the other pop songs of that time.

I will say one thing, Darlene is a gorgeous woman.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

With all due respect Magic....

In the days when Darlene Love was at her prime , her career was dominated by Phil Spector .

She was used and I MEAN used by a host of artist early in the rock and roll 60's era...her voice was strong and powerful..she was rarely given the chance to shine on her own because of Phil's ego ..a thing he also did to Ronnie Spector...

Elvis, Duane Eddy, The Rolling Stones, Cher., Bruce Springsteen ..the list is endless..

You seem to think that being a back up singer is less important then other parts of music. The Bass,The guitar, the lead vocals..those back ups blend the sound and enhance it's quality...

those hits that were created as classic songs(He's A Rebel, The Boy I'm Gonna Marry, Then He Kissed me etc} are great because of Darlenes voice..

she deserves to be recognized for her talent...finally..fairly

But I think that The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame really hasn't a clue who belongs in there...I'm sure ,I do agree there's lots folks not in there yet..that should be.. and bigger names the Darlene ...but thats not the point

the point is...did these inductees contribute to Rock nRoll History ?

but I doubt that that can ever be established in the first place,,, it's opinion ..

In My opinion...yes she did ...

Heres a comment I pinched from Rolling Stone Magazine :

it does seem to agree with you...but it also points out that Darlene Love was robbed from day one from the spotlight...

One of rock's greatest female vocalists is faced with a troubling question regarding her candidacy for the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame. Namely, in what way can the Hall honor her talents when her career was mostly served in the background for others? Love was the leader of the Blossoms, who were the 60's best uncredited female backing group, appearing on work of such artists as Duane Eddy, Dick Dale and a host of Phil Spector productions. Spector then took Love and tried using her more prominently, but his reluctance to give credit to the artist as opposed to himself meant that she was either saddled in a group with the unenviable name Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans, or worse yet, was anonymously subbing for the already established group The Crystals on two of their biggest hits (including "He's A Rebel"). As a result Love herself never received proper credit, nor became a household name and her own career achievements, notable as they are, find themselves spread over far too many areas to be a strong candidate on her own. In fact, she is probably a better fit in the Sideman category than Main Performer because of this. Yet any Hall of Fame that can slip Wanda Jackson in as an Early Influence when she was no such thing, and was on the ballot in another category the year she made it, can manipulate the boundaries to find a spot for the more qualified Love. The fact that two of her most vocal fans, Dave Marsh and Little Steven Van Zandt, who produced one of her few actual chart hits under her own name in the 90's, are on the Nominating Committee brings a cloud of personal favoritism over her selection. Love deserves official recognition by the Hall in some way but should not have to be reliant on patronage or category manipulation to achieve it.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Some interesting reads on Darlene. My mind is not swayed and I didn't come here to debate a RR HOF induction.

Darlene has a beautiful, powerful voice. As far as her being used in the 60's, she could have walked away, but she didn't. She enjoyed what she was doing at the time, and she played the hand that was dealt her.

I am not denying her vocal talents at all :)

Fever

Reaction score

Darlene makes her yearly appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman next Thursday night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Thanks for the Heads up fever :)

on related note:

Seems the offical cut was Alice :cheers2 Neil Diamond:cheers2, Tom Waits:cheers2, Dr John and...Darlene Love :bow:

As for some the others Kiss, Bon Jovi and JGeils ..you ALL deserve to be in there but these folks {except for Kiss because those RRHF idiots have some issue with them...NOT FAIR} have time to get in... And these four should of been LONNNNNNG ago..so hang in there..your time will come.

It really is about what respect their peers and fans have for them..I read alot about the 'HISTORIANS' and rules of inductees for The Hall and what I concluded other than first albums being released 25 years ago ..there are NO set of clear rules..this only furthers my detest of this whole idea of A HALL OF FAME...They should NOT be counted as any legit music source imo

Just because your a journalist or a record executive, historian ..that does NOT make you a fair judge of someones talent or contribution..;
A record company manager once told Brian Epstein that guitar bands were passe' :wtf:

Music speaks to people on such a personal level..yes there ARE forefathers and mothers who certainly need to be reconized..but I doubt anyone needs this Hall to validate their careers.

there will always be people completely ignored because they didn't have people speaking up for them..like Little Steven did for Darlene..and still people think she not worthy ...

it's down to opinion I suppose but I think thats what music is about anyway..so congrats Class of 2011 :cheers2

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I remember that quote to Brian Epstein...."Guitar groups are on the way out" :oyea:

Who had the last laugh there? :grinthumb

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

I remember that quote to Brian Epstein...."Guitar groups are on the way out" :oyea:

Who had the last laugh there? :grinthumb

lol Seriously they don't know ***** ! Thats a classic DOHHH ! :grinthumb
BTW I CAN'T believe Neil Diamond wasn't in there yet ? Not even as a songwriter ? Jeezus ! He was writing hits for SOO many people ? :wtf:

nope the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is really freakin dumb...lol

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

:congrats:

Darlene Love has made another milestone! She is earning respect for the tons of women (and men) who have devoted their music careers as back-up and session singers. These back-up singers rarely get any recognition or credits, and I think Darlene Love speaks very loudly through her long devoted career that they do matter.

WTG Darlene!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online