Love music? Thank a substance in your brain

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Whether it's the Beatles or Beethoven, people like music because it makes the brain release a chemical called dopamine--the "pleasure hormone". Volunteers for the study were chosen because they reliably felt chills from particular moments during some favorite pieces of music. Dopamine surged in one part of the brain during the 15 seconds leading up to a thrilling moment, and a different part when that musical highlight finally arrived. The study used only instrumental music, showing that voices aren't necessary to produce the dopamine response.

So the question is, what pieces of music "reliably" give you chills when you listen to them?

I will start out with Beethoven's Triple Concerto, which I first heard live with Isaac Stern, Eugene Istomen and Leonard Rose. That was my first experience with chills.

Note: If this has already been posted, please delete.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I already thank various substances in my brain on a daily basis but thanks anyway.

ROFL. Just playing around. :)

One dopamine moment that comes to mind for me is in Misery Business by Paramore, at about 2:27 at the end of the breakdown, where Hayley goes "involving!!" and the music rears up into a little instrumental segment. I can just imagine her collapsing in place at that moment and the lights blast and the band goes crazy....

Another one would be in Lost Wisdom by Burzum, two of 'em, first during the second breakdown, then at the start of the third style of breakdown where he screams.

And the entire intro for Cortez the Killer. Not sure where the 'climax' is there but it's gotta be somewhere because that whole segment injects euphoria into me.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Jeff Lynne's "Ticket to the Moon" is the first modern piece of music to stir up my hormones.

runtfan

Reaction score
Two off the top of my head that consistently give me the chills are "I Can't Make You Love Me", written by Bruce Hornsby and sung beautifully by Bonnie Raitt ( various points in the song may give me chills) and also "Pride (In the Name Of Love)" by U2...specifically the last verse -

Early morning, April 4
A shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride

There's probably many other songs too.

I've had countless instances of the dopamine rush in my lifetime, either playing onstage or listening to other live music. One instance I can think of that happened a few years ago...I went to a concert in Fort Worth, which my dad was involved in along with many memebers of the Ft. Worth symphony and a big choir. One of the pieces they performed was Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus". It was literally breathtaking. Everybody in the audience all stood as soon as it started ( as is traditional) and most everybody in the audience of a few hundred was singing as well - all the harmonies and everything.
Another instance was at a King's X concert several years ago. They played "Goldilox",a big fan favorite. The twist was that the band played very softly and the audience sang the whole song. Everybody knew all the words and the harmonies. It was definitely a "goosebump" moment.

I've read a couple of books about how music affects the brain and the physiological reactions...interesting stuff.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
So many I can think of off hand but I'll post a classical piece that never fails to give me chills.

"O Fortuna" from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, overexposed and everyone on earth knows it for all the wrong reasons. I love playing that whole album in sequence, but the opening movement is just stunning. It sounds the most impressive on a good stereo/surround system, headphones don't do it justice.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
^^^ I wholeheartedly agree with that one LG :grinthumb I remember I first heard it as a kid in the 70's on an Old Spice (men's aftershave) advert, even then it stopped me in my tracks :bow:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It's funny Tray, the entire album is sung in Latin, but to me it sounds Epic! But O' Fortuna is simply one of the best pieces ever written.

I have a few others, but I'll wait until my friends post some of their favorites.:grinthumb

Harkat

Reaction score
I have a couple that consistently send a shiver down my spine.
Puritania ~ Dimmu Borgir
Quoth The Raven ~ Eluveitie
Kurzes Epos ~ Equilibrium

This song just gets better as it goes on:

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Yes, I read this before somewhere.....it's the same as sexual pleasure in a way!!!!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online