Lous A-Z of 70s Glam Rock !!

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
So you think you know your 70s glam rock ??

Try answering these questions....but youve got to be quick.quick quick !!! :pullhair:

I did pretty well...only faltered on a couple ...:****::D
Now if Id only kept my mind on my schoolwork :zzz:......grrr

:bow:

Nice Lou !

Wow I knew a few but I bet my bf would have known most of those !

I didn't know some of those things at all but very interesting ! I love learning about the backgrounds of this music

I did know The TRex song ...because I won tickets to a show for answering that same question and listening to 30 seconds of a clip of Ride The White Swan...even tho I never heard it before that lol ...I KNEW it was Trex and I knew it was his first hit !

The radio Dj was British and figured he stump us good lol...I won tickets to see Donovan :):grinthumb

Cinder

Reaction score
Thanks Astrid! Yes I agree OFB with the latter, its a shame that a lot of great artist are not actually recognised for their talent until they have died.

Also agree, lots gone but will be remembered forever.

Its a shame that they are not still around to see the new generations still appreciating their music.

icon1.gif
Re: Lous A-Z of 70s Glam Rock !!
It is a shame about that blazer Deathoncredit.....we all have a wardrobe clearout now and again, were all human....and some of the vinyl Ive let go and regretted is shocking

I feel the same about my clothes Lou, Ive let some nice vintage stuff go over the years (good quality) only to regret it later :(

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Thanks Astrid! Yes I agree OFB with the latter, its a shame that a lot of great artist are not actually recognised for their talent until they have died.

Also agree, lots gone but will be remembered forever.

Its a shame that they are not still around to see the new generations still appreciating their music.

icon1.gif
Re: Lous A-Z of 70s Glam Rock !!
It is a shame about that blazer Deathoncredit.....we all have a wardrobe clearout now and again, were all human....and some of the vinyl Ive let go and regretted is shocking

I feel the same about my clothes Lou, Ive let some nice vintage stuff go over the years (good quality) only to regret it later :(

Richard Gere..re: your sig..Very Sexy :) :cheers2

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Great story Astrid and to win tickets to see the legend Donovan is quite amazing:grinthumb
Your right Cinder sadly we have lost many rock stars from this era over the years...Bolan,Freddie Mercury,Ronson,Thunders,Brian Connelly,Mick Tucker,Alex Harvey,Les Gray,Graeme Strachan,Mick Karn,Jobriath...just to name a few:rip:
Talking of Jobraith, Ive recently purchased his 2nd album and on the sleeve notes it says
" So unnoticed was his passing that fan MORRISEY tried to contact him in 1992 to see if JOBRIATH could be the supporting act on a planned U.S tour, unaware that the singer had been dead for nearly a decade......"

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
SUPERNAUT......I think one of the great surprises about me researching this thread was to find a healthy 70s glam rock scene going on in Australia/N.Z . Ive already mentioned Skyhooks,Hush,Rabbit....and heres another SUPERNAUT.Anyone expecting a Black Sabbath inspired band would be extremely upset,if their name was anything to go by...
The band from Perth had 2 big hits in Australia.The song "I like it both ways " reached no 1 in 1976. They were fronted by self confessed Bolan fan Gary Twinn . They later changed their name to THE NAUTS with a change in musical direction..more punk/garage sound. Split 1980.Reformed for a tour 2007.
Its a real shame some of these artists never broke the U.K ...the only act from these parts who had a hit was SHERBET :wtf:

FEATHER.......I know little of this Australian rock band...so anyone with info much appreciated :cheers2. Singer was Swanee [ John Swan] who happens to be Jimmy Barnes older brother.....Swanee after a solo career has also sang for The Party Boys

CHERRY VAN GELDER-SMITH........From Amsterdam Holland, Cherry had a mighty voice to go with her attractive looks, was popular in her home country and Germany but totally unknown in the Uk. She made records from the early 70s to the late 80s. Still performing..
Cant help in thinking the song "Silver boy" is about Gary Glitter

ANDY BOWN.........was with Peter Frampton in THE HERD,but in the 70s made a few singles/albums as a solo artist. He later joined STATUS QUO in 1976,which he still is a member.
He recorded musical themes to 70s tv childrens programmes "Supersonic" and a surprise to me the excellent " Tarot = Ace of wands " [:bow:]

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
You are right Scalli ! Lieutenant Pigeon were a blast ! Ah.... they dont make bands like that anymore :heheh:....and Ive never asked my 80 year old mother to play piano :heheh:
Seriously though the song "mouldy old dough" was a big no 1 hit in the UK ,we even had a copy in our household when I was a kid .Checking out their discography I was amazed to see how many records they had made....
The footage of them on Xmas "top of the pops"...when he sings " dirty old man" instead...heh heh priceless !!
Astrid....Ive been guilty of neglecting MICK RONSON on this thread,his guitar work is legendary:bow: as we all know not only with Bowie and Mott the Hoople but as a solo artist aswell
I love this song "Only after dark"...a song covered later on by electronic synth band THE HUMAN LEAGUE

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Wow !! :peek Total obscure 70s glam bands in outstanding form !! :grinthumb

GALAHAD are not to be confused with recent prog band of same name.CHUNKY ? SCREEMER ?MUSTARD ??......as Manuel would say from Fawlty towers...........I Know nothing...:heheh:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
You are right Scalli ! Lieutenant Pigeon were a blast ! Ah.... they dont make bands like that anymore :heheh:....and Ive never asked my 80 year old mother to play piano :heheh:
Seriously though the song "mouldy old dough" was a big no 1 hit in the UK ,we even had a copy in our household when I was a kid .Checking out their discography I was amazed to see how many records they had made....
The footage of them on Xmas "top of the pops"...when he sings " dirty old man" instead...heh heh priceless !!
Astrid....Ive been guilty of neglecting MICK RONSON on this thread,his guitar work is legendary:bow: as we all know not only with Bowie and Mott the Hoople but as a solo artist aswell
I love this song "Only after dark"...a song covered later on by electronic synth band THE HUMAN LEAGUE

Hey, I didn't realize this was the same song as HUMAN LEAGUES ? :bonk: wow ! Cool ! :cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online