Looking for some folk prog rock...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Fairport Convention, Renaissance and Steeleye Span are all really good, I have most of their best albums myself.

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
I think no one mentioned Magna Carta...they were mainly folk-prog band and I think you'll love them...

This epic classic is just beyond words - it's like listening Stairway to Heaven for very first time :grinthumb

some other songs - -

(this is not very proggy, rather psych-pop-folk, but worth listening)

If I recall any other band that's not mentioned, I'll post it here :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Good choices AK, I forgot about Strawbs and I have their 3 best albums...well my faves anyway.:D

joe

Reaction score
nololob, I thought you had posted that you were looking for progressive folk with flute. My fault, I read it incorrect.:bonk:

Well, that changes everything then. The bands I listed for you earlier were all prog/psych folk.

Jade Warrior: thier first three albums; s/t(1971), Released(1972), and Last Autumn's Dream(1972): hard to put this band with a couple of labels, hard rock, jazz, folk, psych with far eastern and raga passages. The band went through personnel changes after thier third album then becoming more of a etheral/space ambience but still with the eastern influences and flute.

Gravy Train: s/t(1970) and Ballad Of A Peaceful Man(1971); heavy prog/psych/blues rock. "Jethro Tull and Comus had a baby it would be called Gravy Train." I haven't heard subsequent albums as the band changed thier style after personnel changes.

Embryo: Embryo's Rache(1971), Father, Son, And Holy Ghosts(1972), Steig Aus(1972), We Keep On(1973); Krautrock/jazz fusion/space w/ Indo-raga influences. Embryo's Rache is probably the heaviest of the albums I mentioned. Sax, flute and violin.

Quintessence: In Blissful Company(1969); psych/prog/raga rack/space. Fusion of west and east. Somewhat of a spiritual journey. Flute and sitar. Following releases are very Indo-raga rock influenced. Too much for my ears.

Mythos: s/t(1972), Dreamlab(1975); krautrock/space/psych w/ Eastern influences. Trippy and floaty. Might be too far out there for ya.

Rufus Zaphall: Wieb der Teufel(1970), Phallobst(1971); krautrock. A German Jethro Tull. German vocals but mainly instrumental. I managed to get both on CD. Superb.

There's alot of prog out there with winds/flute and strings/violin. Jazz-fusion, Krautrock, and some Canterbury as well as some hard rock/heavy psych. I'll post more in the future when I remember them. My memory isn't the greatest for various reasons.:D

joe

Reaction score
I just remembered another band Nololob. Focus, a Dutch prog band with key/flutist/vocalist Thigs van Leer and a very talented guitarist Jan Akkerman. It might be too symphonic for you. Moving Waves(Focus II) or Focus III I would recommend. Listening to Focus III now and it's superb.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I know Focus very well. But it is not that much folky tbh.
Jade Warrior is a bit too complicated for me, I like Red Lotus though.
Gravy Train, I got their Second Birth album uploaded on YouTube.
I need to re-listen Rufus Zuphall, somehow I missed this krautrock. :wtf:
Hmmm... I don't feel like I am enjoying raga sound, sorry.

Reminded myself about Curved Air.

And Gnidrolog

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online