Looking for some folk prog rock...

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I am looking for either flute or violin fronted progressive rock bands that are similar to those:

I prefer bands from 70s.
Any ideas?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Joe knows a lot more old prog than I do, and so does Sweaty next time Sweaty's here I'll point him to this thread Nololob.

joe

Reaction score
I can have a list for you tomorrow morning Nololob. I'm off to watch some hockey.:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The only Folk Prog band I am familiar with is Comus, and they are from the 70's.

they have 2 albums:

First Utterance
To Keep From Crying

First Utterance would be most like what you are looking for since the 2nd album is completely different.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
The only Folk Prog band I am familiar with is Comus, and they are from the 70's.

they have 2 albums:

First Utterance
To Keep From Crying

First Utterance would be most like what you are looking for since the 2nd album is completely different.
Sounds brilliant, getting them right now. Thanks!

joe

Reaction score
Most of what I'm going to list for nololob I will be posting in my folk album anthology. I'll list a band, then follow it up with an album(s) I'd recommend and make a few comments.

East Of Eden-Mercator Projected(1969): Rather eclectic. pysch/folk prog w/jazz w/Indo-raga influences. Excellent.

Sirogyra-St.Radiguns(1971): similar to First Utterance from Comus but not as "heavy". psych/folk prog. Excellent.

Gryphon-Red Queen To Gryphon Three(1974): instrumental symphonic/folk prog. Medievil ambience. Superb.

Third Ear Band-Alchemy(1969): instrumental psych/Indo-raga/prog folk. Very psychedelic.; s/t(1970): similar to Alchemy but not as psych. Both very good.

Trees-On The Shore(1970): British/psych/prog folk. "Flower folk" Superb.

Fushsia-s/t(1970): British psych/prog folk. Very good.

Hoelderlin-Holderlin's Traum(1972): German psych/prog folk w/ a krautrock ambience. A pastoral ambience. Superb.

Fresh Maggots-s/t(1971): UK psych/prog folk w/ some heavy fuzz guitar. Very good.

Then there's more of the popular prog/folk bands like Renaissance, Fairport Convention, The Pentangle, Steeleye Span, etc. which some of thier albums are classics in the sub-genre(s). I'll be featuring some of these as well.

There is also some bands that are heavy psych with prog leanings with winds and strings as well. I'll mention them later.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Thank you for the list.

I've got all East of Eden albums.

From what I've heard on YouTube Spirogyra mostly plays acoustic songs. I liked Dangerous Dave a lot. :grinthumb

Gryphon.... mmmmm, not that much of rock is happening there, but surely I'll take a point in case if I want to expand into outside of rock.

Third Ear Band, same as above. Less rocky.

Trees - brilliant. Murdoch and Fool is what I wanted to hear. :D

Fushia - excellent!

Holderlin, what a combo! Flute and violin! :D <moves to the left and right>

Fresh Maggots!!!

You're a star, joe! :cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online