London Grammar (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

MI0004253076.jpg?partner=allrovi.jpgMI0004253076.jpg?partner=allrovi.jpgMI0004253076.jpg?partner=allrovi.jpg
C5ECD69A621A04A1E8B146CA245EEB1D20147414273553.jpg

london-grammar-couch-cred-mads-perch.jpg

MI0004253076.jpg?partner=allrovi.jpgMI0004253076.jpg?partner=allrovi.jpgMI0004253076.jpg?partner=allrovi.jpg

In the 2,000's the Rock scene even though maligned now by some was my second favorite wave of Rock from the Emo Rock bands with their stellar harmonies like Jimmy Eat World, the New Waveish brilliant Pop Punk of Anberlin, The energizing loud soft dymanic of The Used, Emo bards like Dashboard Confessional and The Spill Canvas and the raw, lyrical Blue October. Those were only a handful of the artist from that decade that rank in my all time favorites. I've never had a hard time shifting with each decade and finding bands to connect too. Style is irrelevant. If it's sincere and hits me in the emotional core I'm in.

In the 2010's I still found plenty of music but it wavered more than it has since finding my groove in the 90's. So many more genres out there but it was hard to find consistency and a pure Rock movement to find similar bands to follow. Come 2013, a year where I bought a ton of music and the vibe was bright Electronic Pop and Downtempo Electronica. Now this wasn't a bad thing. in fact, bands like The Naked and Famous, Grouplove, Chvrches and especially M83 are high watermarks of the genre that I still follow today. Like with every movement though having all those bands cascade out can cause burnout and honestly as a Rock fan I was looking for something a little more pure and goosebump inducing in a different way. Layer upon layer of sound coming at you can be transcendent when done right but there's something about the stripped down quality of a more organic and pure tune. So when I needed it most here was London Grammar walking in. I don't even remember which single got me to order the debit album but I was adding so much music at the time that it was added as an impulse buy.

When I first played the album, "If You Wait" I was mesmerized the second I heard Hannahs deep sultry tone. "Hey Now" indeed!

If You Wait
London_Grammar_-_If_You_Wait.png

Hey Now

It got my attention. The music didn't feel like music that would be played booming at a club. It felt like music that would be played swaying the patrons of a club. The beauty centers like a classy fifties starlet, the lights filter in, the intro creeps in and everybody has their glass sitting in hand just enough to hold while they fixate on this new presence. It felt like the music that you would listen to after the club if anything somberly weighing your decisions in life after the comedown. It was beautiful, captivating, inspiring and only depressing if you consider the voice of an angel offering her gift of sweeping, effortless ranging sound and meditative, cathartic release depressing. Each note of Hannah's is complimented by just enough of a pulsing beat, simple melodic keys and moody bass to compliment her song. The musicians do just as much to compliment the music with a atmosphere that filters in with an ambiance but doesn't fog the soul that is the centerpiece. That's an equal talent in itself.

The album and subsequent album released this year is a bridge for me and I believe others as well. It takes what's become the current mainstream and Indie style and gives it credence with something. Even in the 90's the downtempo electronic artist weren't always blessed with the range to carry their gloom into something more. You could say that perhaps the XX were the blueprint for bringing back the sound into the 2010's but they are flat compared to our current subjects. The whole aforementioned album is filled with gems so to do a track by track commentary would be unnecessary so are three strong tracks imo:

Strong, If You Wait & Wasting My Younger Years

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
What makes this thread relevant to post this year is the new album and how it's looming presence has been what I've been savoring for all year. To say it's been a bad year for music this year would be a lie but to say it's been a slower year and one without that "it" factor in comparison would be true. The biggest moment and exception to the rule was when at the very beginning of the year I saw this under new music on youtube:

London Grammar-Rooting For You

To say I was a London Grammar fan should be obvious by the above but I'd be lying if I said they hadn't dropped off my radar. I hadn't been peering at updates for the last four years. I got a little spark of enthusiasm and a shot of dopamine when I saw the video but I had no idea it would be a moment and the beginning of a craving. The song was even more sparse than anything off the new album and I never thought that was possible. Now Hannah's voice was still deep to start but not brooding. It wasn't the soundtrack to damp London streets or seedy unworthy clubs. It was all class and a masterwork of her range. The angelic heights she transitioned into so seamlessly, the echoes and vibrations almost unworthy following each note and the perfectly paced story she sprung in a room silent except for the lush orchestration.....perfect. Then the song ended and a single breath was released by me. I had my musical moment at the beginning of my year and it's been a long wait until this.

Truth Is A Beautiful Thing
544db0b5215e759b79622625df78bf6c.500x500x1.jpg

Unfortunately to get the deluxe there is still a shipping issue and wait on my end. I lost patience and gave it a listen to Spotify which is nothing like listening to the album so while I like what I heard I haven't had my true listen yet. It's a longer album so it'll be a bit to absorb it all. So for now here are the other singles all of which I adore:

Big Picture, Truth Is A Beautiful Thing & Oh Woman, Oh Man

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Bought both albums last week, but I'm trying to find the right moment to listen to them. Doing it while working doesn't feel right. Did I mention that I got the deluxe version? :oyea:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Bought both albums last week, but I'm trying to find the right moment to listen to them. Doing it while working doesn't feel right. Did I mention that I got the deluxe version? :oyea:

:nw:

Maybe the album is waiting for the right person to listen to it. You know the one that introduced you to the group and ordered first. :tongue:

:wa

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online