Review Live - Throwing Copper (1994)

album review

snake666

Reaction score
On Throwing Copper, Live tightened their sound, added crashing crescendos for dramatic effect, and injected some anger into their sound and songwriting. They also eased up a bit on the Eastern philosophy; the result is a more cohesive, memorable record overall, and quite an improvement from the sometimes overly precious Mental Jewelry. And for all of Mental Jewelry's ideologies, Throwing Copper is ultimately a more passionate and successful album, thanks to tracks like "I Alone," "Selling the Drama," and "All Over You," all of which received heavy radio play.

"Live" would have to be the silliest name for a band since "The Band." The first time I heard Live was on an MTV Unplugged special following REM. I didn't realise that Live was the name of the band. I assumed that the subtitle "Live" on the TV screen was there to tell us that the anonymous band was playing live.

In the Unplugged concert their dynamic variation was outstanding. This was partly due to the fact that their drummer had a full kit and was playing them hard at times. Some bands enter into the Unplugged spirit more by using bongo drums instead of a rock drum kit or by using brushes instead of drumsticks. However, they did stick to acoustic guitars.

Some time later it occurred to me that Live might be the name of the band. I had a look in a record store and sure enough there was Live under "L" in the racks. I noticed the album Throwing Copper included many of the songs from the Unplugged concert so I bought it.

The opening track of Throwing Copper, 'The Dam at Otter Creek', is the weakest on the album and is not helped at all by a distorting effect on the vocals. Fortunately the rest of the album makes up for the bad start.

What Live really excel at is dynamic variation in their songs. Great examples are 'Selling the Drama' and 'I Alone' both of which contrast quiet verses with loud and heavy choruses.

'Lightning Crashes' is a slow elegy which highlights Ed Kowalczyk's emotional vocal technique. 'T.B.D' opens with a catchy bass line which is prominent throughout the song. The last listed song on the album is 'White Discussion.' This song also features a prominent bass and ends with some glorious mayhem. There is a hidden track at the end of the album which is an oddity because it sounds very country.

There are often religious references in Kowalczyk's lyrics. Live can be a bit preachy at times but their passion is a vital part of their music.

Despite their questionable choice of band name Live are now enjoying well deserved commercial success. It is heartening to see talent and good music being rewarded. Throwing Copper is the album that put the band's career into high gear and it gets my recommendation.

live_throwing-copper.jpg

Tracklist:
1.) The Dam at Otter Creek
2.) Selling the Drama
3.) I Alone
4.) Iris
5.) Lightning Crashes
6.) Top
7.) All Over You
8.) Shit Towne
9.) T.B.D.
10.) Stage
11.) Waitress
12.) Pillar of Davidson
13.) White, Discussion
14.) Untitled

Live is:
Ed Kowalczyk- guitar, vocals
Chad Taylor- guitars
Patrick Dahlheimer- bass
Chad Gracey- drums

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: My Fav: Throwing Copper - Live

I LOVE Live and agree on many points made in this review. Mental Jewelry is actual my least favorite Live album and the name is horrible especially when using the internet to google anything on them. LOL My favorite album by Live is The Distance to Here but this is my second and you described a lot of reasons why. :) My favorite track is this one:

Pillar Of Davidson

(so many layers to this and it uses their spiritual essence in a great way)

Have you seen Live "live" in concert! They were good when I saw them but Ed has this thing with taking his shirt off and acting like he's a God to the ladies! :heheh:

urbancoyote

Reaction score
Magical album. Saw them on the Throwing Copper tour in a small club in Glasgow. One of my favourite ever gigs.

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
This is my favourite release by Live. Seen them at Woodstock 94. They put on great show. Have seen them live like 5 times. Always put on good show. Lightning Crashes is one hell of a song

cowbucs

Reaction score
Great band and great album. I saw them live at the Tibetan freedom concert in DC in 98.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Live were one of the best 90's bands. Throwing Copper was them at their best. "Sh*t Town" could have been about where I live. Intelligent, deep lyrics that have stood the test of time

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online