Little Willie John

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
One of my favorite Rythm and Blues vocalists from the late 50's/early 60's era.

The guy had a stormy and turbulent history.

He was born in Cullendale, Arkansas, one of ten children, his family moving to Detroit, Michigan when he was four so that his father could pursue factory work. In the late 1940s, the eldest children, including Willie, formed a gospel singing group, and Willie also performed in talent shows, which brought him to the notice of Johnny Otis and, later, musician and producer Henry Glover. After seeing him sing with the Paul "Hucklebuck" Williams orchestra, Glover signed him to a recording contract with King Records in 1955. He was nicknamed "Little Willie" John for his short stature.

Willie John was known for his short temper and propensity to abuse alcohol, and was dropped by his record company in 1963.

In 1966, he was convicted of manslaughter and sent to Washington State Penitentiary for a fatal knifing incident following a show in Seattle. He appealed against his conviction and was released while the case was reconsidered, during which time he recorded what was intended to be his comeback album, but owing to contractual wrangling and the decline of his appeal, it was not released until 2008 (as Nineteen Sixty Six). Little Willie John died in 1968 at Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla, Washington. Despite counter claims, the official cause of death was listed in his death certificate as a heart attack.

LINK

little_willie_f-1.jpg

Last edited:

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Fever (beware there are a lot of "reworkings"of this tune.) The one I posted is the original.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Leave My Kitten Alone (covered by the Beatles)

Tell It Like It Is

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Good stuff Phil! I can't believe from listening and from the pictures I see that this guy had that much of a dark side! Got your links fixed for you as well! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.