Little Richard (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Little Richard Announces Retirement: ‘I Am Done’

Little-Richard.jpg

Source Link

One of rock’s most distinctive and influential performers is calling it quits.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, legendary recording artist Little Richard admitted that, just a few months shy of his 81st birthday, he’s hanging it up as a performer. “I am done, in a sense,” he told the magazine, adding, “I don’t feel like doing anything right now.”

Troubled by sciatica and a degenerating hip, Little Richard (born Richard Penniman on Dec. 5, 1932) has performed sparingly in recent years and hasn’t always managed to play up to his usual standards. In June 2012, he was forced to stop a show, telling the crowd, “Jesus, please help me – I can’t hardly breathe. It’s horrible.” He recovered sufficiently to headline at 2013′s Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekend, but that seems to have been a temporary reprieve.

According to the Rolling Stone article, he now spends his time designing clothes and praying — and thinking about the impact left by his groundbreaking early singles like ‘Tutti-Frutti’ and ‘Long Tall Sally.’ “I think my legacy should be that when I started in show business, there wasn’t no such thing as rock ‘n’ roll,” he mused. “When I started with ‘Tutti Frutti,’ that’s when rock really started rocking.”

A 65-year veteran of show business and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award recipient, as well as a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Little Richard helped lay the groundwork for scores of rock artists during the ’50s before announcing his retirement from secular music toward the end of the decade. Although he returned to his recording career during the following decade, he struggled to regain his commercial momentum, suffering through a few fallow years before reinventing himself as a steady live performer and studio sideman during the ’70s. His most recent LP, the Disney Records release ‘Shake It All About,’ was issued in 1992.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I would say whether consciously or not that is a definite yes. Music is communication. When someone adds to the vocabulary it is natural for another to use the new phrase. This stuff has all the power that rock would ever have. It is no surprise that the best musicians from later decades would have this stuff ringing in their heads.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I always wondered if the intro influenced John Bonham on Zep's Rock& Roll

I think I remember reading that Bonham was trying to play that one day and the band just started to jam out what would become "Rock and Roll".

As much as I love Little Richard's iconic singles I have been getting into the deeper cut from his first two or three albums a lot lately. I think "I'll Never Let You Go (Boo Hoo Hoo Hoo)" might be his best vocals performance ever captured in the studio.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Whenever I hear people say there wouldn't have been the Beatles if it weren't for Elvis,one serious question comes to mind.What about the influences of figures such as Fats Domino,Chuck Berry and,of course,the inimitable Mr. Richard Penniman.Presley's "King of Rock and Roll" crown,while not completely farcical in some respects,is to a great degree inaccurate and nearly blatantly disrespectful to the contributions put forth by three men I've named.Chuck Berry was pioneer and champion of rock guitar while Richard's gut-wrenching deliveries laid groundwork for the genre's vocal expression.I can't see how ANYONE can overlook this.Sadly,many have...

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well Little Richard himself has gone on the record for decades saying how Elvis ripped himself and other off and how much much he dislikes "The King" for it.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Little Richard Suffers Heart Attack

Little-Richard.jpg

He’s one of the most energetic performers in rock ‘n’ roll history, but even Little Richard can’t avoid the effects of getting older. And he recently received a scary reminder of his own mortality.

Access Atlanta reports that the 80-year-old performer opened up about a heart attack he suffered last week during an appearance at the city’s W Hotel. Sitting for a Q&A session with Cee Lo Green at an event sponsored by the Recording Academy’s Atlanta chapter, he recalled, “I was coughing, and my right arm was aching. I told my son, ‘Make the room as cold as ice.’ So he turned the air-conditioning on, and I took a baby aspirin. The doctor told me that saved my life. Jesus had something for me. He brought me through.”

The night was peppered with references to God and Jesus from Little Richard, who quipped that Green looked “like the living flame” in his gold lamé tunic. “God talked to me the other night,” he insisted. “When I talk to you about [Jesus], I’m not playing. I’m almost 81 years old. Without God, I wouldn’t be here.”

And although he revealed that he traveled to the event in a tour bus specially outfitted with a hospital bed, he still seemed to have enough vigor to stick around at least as long as his friend and fellow legend Fats

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online