Lil Wayne - Rebirth (2010)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Lil Wayne-Rebirth
rebirth.jpg

Let's just say I'm realistic that this is going to have to be a labor of love review considering the genre but I HAVE to create this! :heheh: I love this album better than anything I've heard yet this year and can't stop listening to it. I've never particular liked anything by Lil Wayne before and couldn't see the hype the critics had for him before. Upon hearing he was doing a rock flavored album all I could predict was a car wreck! If it weren't for hearing an early download of the album at a social gathering I would've never pursued the album. What I heard surprised me. I dug it but upon hearing just one run through of it I didn't absorb it quite yet. My friend Rob who also heard it at that gathering was the brave one to go out and buy it first. He kept saying "So when are you getting it?" and I'd be "Ummmm eventually!" I heard the single Prom Queen but it was the Drop The World single that got me to finally go for it. Prom Queen had the rock flavor but Drop The World had some fire to it! I bought the album amongst 9 others and it won the new purchase battle royal by far. I can't stop listening to it!

I think crossover albums only work when the artist is doing more than just trying to shock people by changing. They have to be sincere about the love of both genres and hearing how much fun Lil Wayne has on this album it's obvious how much love he has for being a Rock Star! A big part of rock is the attitude and he has it in spades! Not only that but there is so much variety on here! There are elements of Punk, pure Pop and an obvious love for the 80's on the disc! Once again out of labor of love I'm going to do some commentary and display of every track since their isn't a song I skip through on the whole thing!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Lil Wayne-Rebirth

Obviously there is language!
:uc:

Track #1-American Star

The c.d. starts out with a cool guitar groove and a steady drum beat. It's a cool opener and it features Shantell who shines on every track she's featured on in this c.d. She has great pipes and a great flair for sassy rock vocals. Lyrically this isn't my favorite track but I do like the chorus about riding with the dope boys. It sounds like something that would be sung in an old blaxpoitation flick with pimps and shit! :heheh: I love it for that camp aspect alone! Already a fun album! I also like the lyric about his ancestors being slaves but not today!

Track #2-Prom Queen

Not what I would've picked for the single but a cool track regardless! I think the guitar riff is cool and the fact that he's actually playing it adds to the authenticity of the project. In fact, here he is doing it in his studio:

Granted he's no master but seeing someone take the time to learn some guitar instead of just easily hiring axemen is cool to me! :grinthumb So back to the song. Lyrically, it's like a John Hughes movie and Lil Wayne makes up for vocal skills with storytelling and attitude. I love the way he sneers in the chorus! "The proooooom queen! The proooooom queen!" :heheh:

Track #3-Ground Zero

This is practically a pure rock track on here! It's aggressive and Wayne is way more on assault mode than swagger! It's definitely a Beasties style song. I love the vocals here! Just rough and raspy as hell! I love the part where he goes through the words like a beat poet like a speed freak. Just an intense fun song!

Track #4-Da Da Da

My least favorite track on the album. It is upbeat and has a cool intro guitar and it picks up with a cool rap section at 1:58 where the guitar really punctuates his verses!

Track #5-Paradice

From this track on is where the album truly takes off IMO. This is what I mean when I said Lil Wayne had the enthusiasm for the project. I love his wailing of "Ooooh nooo! This ain't paradice!" It's like what I would do as a listener singing a chorus to a song! Rock's had plenty of imperfect vocals but delivery is everything. My favorite part is at 3:18 where he goes into introspection with a background that resembles an orchestrated background Coolio would use!

Track #6-Get A Life

Just a pop song from the punchy beat to the Ohs and Ooooohs of the chorus!

Track #7-On Fire

The third single! I love the music to this! It's like a soundtrack to an old Kung Fu flick! Wayne does show show fun enthusiasm vocally in this but for me it's the vibe and beat that carries this song! Love it!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Track #8-Drop The World

The second single! I really like this one and it's a good angry song! It's more beat oriented but the lyrics and delivery are tight and Eminem leaves a lasting impression on the album in just a minute. For rap fans this is how two masters of the game do a collaboration. My favorite segment is at 1:20 where Wayne really accentuates his phrases with grit! "Confidence is ah stain they can't wiiipe off!"

Track #9-Runnin'

I LOVE THIS SONG! My favorite on the album! I love Wayne's vocals throughout but Shanell blows up on this one! Love her on this chorus! Love her verses too! I LOVE Waynes verse at 2:00! It's my signature right now after all!

Track #10-One Way Trip

Another favorite! Wayne had already guested on rock artist Kevin Rudolphs song Let It Rock which was an awesome and apparently they make a great team! Also as Wayne will tell you his motha******* drummer on this track is Travis Barker! :lmao: I love the vocals from Wayne on this perhaps more than any other song. There is attitude oozing in every syllable and it gets better as the song goes! Such a fun song!

Track #11-Knockout

The most fun song on the album! Goofy, 80's flavored, punk inspired pop! I love it! I love Nicki Manajs part at 2:12 the most!

Track #12-The Price Is Wrong

A rock punk song! Similar to Ground Zero but a more raw sound!

Track #13-I'll Die For You

An awesome bonus track! It's like an 80's Lil Wayne ballad but it works!

Track #14-I'm So Over You

Another bonus track! Solid aggressive rock track! Once again Shanells part owns!

So that's the end! I know that this probably won't catch even a spark here but it's always my mission to truly depict what I enjoy listening to and give a proper tribute to it! This album definitely has had enough mileage by me to warrant my praise! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You still crank out your usual passionate reviews Sooty, this one is no exception, well done.:cheers2:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I listened to track 9, and you're right, Shanell really does blow up! :heheh: Unfortunately I couldn't get into Lil Wayne's vocals as much, although it is nice to hear un-autotuned music, I'll give him that much :grinthumb

RockDevil

Reaction score

The review is well done - but the music does absolutely nothing for me

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I guess lil wayne is kinda becoming rock=)

Yeah, he's tried a lot of styles on this one! It's definitely a fun party album! Personally, I didn't care for him before but as often is the case when an artist takes a gamble and changes directions they can take in a whole new audience who wouldn't have normally listened to their material. :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.