Lesser known 90's bands

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
In the wake of grunge a few bands emerged in the 90's I really related to. Cry of Love and The Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies. They got back to a classic rock sound IMO. No down tuned guitars with angst ridden lyics. Too bad they faded. I believe Audley Freed from Cry of Love did a stint w/ The Black Crowes prior to the Jimmy Page experiment.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I dunno, I like the tuned down guitars and angst ridden lyrics - Alice In Chains manages to do it in a poetically beautiful fashion.

There's a lot of music out there that has a lot of connection to the classic rock sounds, but I haven't heard anything major yet that I think would actually be completely at home in the early seventies. I'll check out Cry of Love and Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies, they sound pretty sweet.

kvcoty

Reaction score
I like Collective Soul i guess you would consider them 90's. I also thought Robert Plant's 90's music on Fate of Nations and Now and Zen was very good. I liked his version If I Was A Carpenter on one of those ( can't remember of the top of my head) Much better than his new stuff, which he spent most of the time playing when I saw him live this summer. I was very disappointed. And I am a huge fan and have all his music even solo albums.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
there was this band called 'Medicine' that was signed to American Records in the mid 90's. They made two really swell records that sounded a lot like "My Bloody Valentine" having a picnic with Sonic Youth in the Cocteu Twin's backyard.

American TRIED to shove them down america's collective throat but it just didn't take. They even went so far as to be featured (briefly) in the crow movie but nothing ever happened for them. The critics didn't help either.
c0548911x21.jpg

they did these poppy little catchy tunes but under a great WALL of clangy whizzy noise that either made you run from the room or jump with joy.

I guess you can figure which camp I fell into.
They tried too hard to 'clean up' their sound and soon it was all over before it really got started. Two albums and half an EP still make me jump with joy.

but, not as high.
Old Martha's getting old.

Joey Self

A Voice Of Reason
Reaction score
In the '90's, I ventured into the Christian Rock field a bit. I liked what I heard of The Newsboys, Sixpence None The Richer, Jars Of Clay, Steve Taylor and a few others. PFR was the cream of the crop, though. I opined in an article listing the best albums of the 90's that they sounded like what the Beatles would have been had they (the Beatles) gone to Bible classes.

Ok, it was a bit of hyperbole, but those guys were (and are, when they get together) good!

JcS

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Collective Soul was a really good band. Great guitar riffs, good songs. I always wondered why they didn't get more press.

i am a major collective soul fan. major. i saw em live last year, but it was the last night of a festival, so i only got about an hour and a half (curfew at this particular fest. ptooey.)

i think all of their albums are good, altho dosage is my personal fave.

kath
here iiii liie motionless
catch me if yew cannnnn

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I didn't think Collective Soul was not well known. They're all over the rock stations in my area. I do like that band a lot.

Also I recall hearing Jars Of Clay and liking them. Gotta look into them more. Any recommendations, Joey?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online