Register to remove these ads

Les Paul & Mary Ford

Discussion in '50's Music' started by Magic, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Magic

Magic Woman of the World

[​IMG]

These two were a very popular duo in the 50's whom sold 6 million records that included 16 top ten hits.

They also had a very successful television show "Les Paul & Mary Ford at Home" which ran for 1 year (1954-55)

How High the Moon

Les Paul & Mary Ford at Home - Chef Les

Les Paul & Mary Ford at Home - Scrapbook

It is amazing how their home on the show looks strangly familiar......possibly like the "Ricardo's" ;)

Mary Ford's 1961 Gibson SG was sold by her Nephew to "Pawn Stars" for $90,000.00 in March of 2012.

2. gguerra

gguerra Senior Member

On the show they state that the guitar is a Les Paul model which is distinctly different in shape than the SG "Solid Guitar".

The SG has a double horn
    [​IMG]

where as the "Les Paul" has a single horn
    [​IMG]

The one that they sold on Pawn Stars clearly has double horns but again they call it a "Les Paul". The one in the picture above in the OP with both Les and Mary in the picture clearly has a double horn. So can anyone offer any insight on this?

Edit: found this on Wikipedia
    So apparently the early models of the "SG" also had the Les Paul name on them.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  3. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

NICE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

4. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Kids With Guns

Far Out! :pullhair:

5. Metal Head Mike

Metal Head Mike Senior Member

I got one CD by Les Paul & Mary Ford. What a great Guitar player. I really enjoy listening to this CD. I love this song
    admin edit: dead video removed

6. LesPaul

LesPaul Classic Rocker

Les Paul & Mary Ford...that's a very rock couple.
    I love them :phones:

7. Jet

Jet Midway Up The Ceiling

I wonder where music would be at today if it had not been for Les Paul and his genius of inventing multitrack recording and the solid body electric guitar. I read that in later years he played at a club once a week in New York city, and famous friends would drop by to jam with him. Paul McCartney was good friends with him and on one of Les Paul's birthdays he had a huge cake made in the shape of a guitar. :mn:

8. Hurdy Gurdy Man

Hurdy Gurdy Man Senior Member

As highly heralded as they've been in many a documentary covering the roots of rock,Les Paul still remains somewhat overlooked in general society.One that didn't know any better than judging from what he's heard from the average classic rock fan might assume the electric guitar was invented by Jimi Hendrix or Chuck BerryAnd how come we don't hear more about the man who invented the Moog Synthesizer or the fact that of all people,the Monkees were the first the use the Russian design on a rock and roll album.("Star Collector" from their fourth effort).

9. Jet

Jet Midway Up The Ceiling

I don't know. Maybe it's just misinformation, or people just don't do the research. :uh: This link is about the Moog and it mentions the Monkees also.

Moog Synthesizer

10. Phil B.

Phil B. Far Out Man!

Les Paul has never been overlooked in this household. I do suspect your hypothesis is correct tho HGM.

I mention this particular song in mixed company and they look at me like I am outta space. I play the song, they all act smug. It is rather embarrassing to watch yuppies slobber all over themselves while they re-live this wonderful song.

Then they act like they knew about it all along.:oyea: