Les Paul & Mary Ford

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
l.jpg

These two were a very popular duo in the 50's whom sold 6 million records that included 16 top ten hits.

They also had a very successful television show "Les Paul & Mary Ford at Home" which ran for 1 year (1954-55)

How High the Moon

Les Paul & Mary Ford at Home - Chef Les

Les Paul & Mary Ford at Home - Scrapbook

It is amazing how their home on the show looks strangly familiar......possibly like the "Ricardo's" ;)

Mary Ford's 1961 Gibson SG was sold by her Nephew to "Pawn Stars" for $90,000.00 in March of 2012.

gguerra

Reaction score
On the show they state that the guitar is a Les Paul model which is distinctly different in shape than the SG "Solid Guitar".

The SG has a double horn
Rev6unxxRgbDIfG1pltBjR-ZFBeWI3nUdZGhfeO8gLcA4vP2uW.jpg

where as the "Les Paul" has a single horn
SjJk5sGks7KLDF7Q3VbxrNQS-PcLtSrYJVO2Lv2Jubtvnu3ktX.jpg

The one that they sold on Pawn Stars clearly has double horns but again they call it a "Les Paul". The one in the picture above in the OP with both Les and Mary in the picture clearly has a double horn. So can anyone offer any insight on this?

Edit: found this on Wikipedia
"In 1961, Gibson Les Paul sales were significantly lower than in previous years. The following year, the Les Paul was given a thinner, flat-topped mahogany body, and had a double cutaway which made the upper frets more accessible. The neck joint was moved by three frets to further ease access to the upper frets. The simpler body construction significantly reduced production costs, and the new Les Paul, with its slender neck profile and small heel was advertised as having the "fastest neck in the world". Although the new guitar was popular, Les Paul himself did not care for the new design, and requested the removal of his name from the new model. He remained under contract to Gibson, however, and he was photographed with the new model several times.

Gibson honored Les Paul's request, and the new model was renamed "SG", which stood for 'Solid Guitar'. Les Paul's name was officially deleted in 1961, but the SG continued to feature Les Paul nameplates and truss rod covers until the end of 1963."

So apparently the early models of the "SG" also had the Les Paul name on them.

Last edited:

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
I got one CD by Les Paul & Mary Ford. What a great Guitar player. I really enjoy listening to this CD. I love this song
admin edit: dead video removed

LesPaul

Classic Rocker
Reaction score
Les Paul & Mary Ford...that's a very rock couple.
I love them :phones:

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I wonder where music would be at today if it had not been for Les Paul and his genius of inventing multitrack recording and the solid body electric guitar. I read that in later years he played at a club once a week in New York city, and famous friends would drop by to jam with him. Paul McCartney was good friends with him and on one of Les Paul's birthdays he had a huge cake made in the shape of a guitar. :mn:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
As highly heralded as they've been in many a documentary covering the roots of rock,Les Paul still remains somewhat overlooked in general society.One that didn't know any better than judging from what he's heard from the average classic rock fan might assume the electric guitar was invented by Jimi Hendrix or Chuck BerryAnd how come we don't hear more about the man who invented the Moog Synthesizer or the fact that of all people,the Monkees were the first the use the Russian design on a rock and roll album.("Star Collector" from their fourth effort).

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
As highly heralded as they've been in many a documentary covering the roots of rock, Les Paul still remains somewhat overlooked in general society. One that didn't know any better than judging from what he's heard from the average classic rock fan might assume the electric guitar was invented by Jimi Hendrix or Chuck Berry. And how come we don't hear more about the man who invented the Moog Synthesizer or the fact that of all people, the Monkees were the first the use the Russian design on a rock and roll album.("Star Collector" from their fourth effort).

I don't know. Maybe it's just misinformation, or people just don't do the research. :uh: This link is about the Moog and it mentions the Monkees also.

Moog Synthesizer

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Les Paul has never been overlooked in this household. I do suspect your hypothesis is correct tho HGM.

I mention this particular song in mixed company and they look at me like I am outta space. I play the song, they all act smug. It is rather embarrassing to watch yuppies slobber all over themselves while they re-live this wonderful song.

Then they act like they knew about it all along.:oyea:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online

No members online now.